Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Fancier (and i'm not kidding) tripod

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Found this Fancier tripod on ebay. Couldn't find a manufacturers website, so I figured I would ask if anyone here had ever heard of/had experience with them.

Just looking for a travel/home flash stand tripod. $50 shipped seems good to me for what it appears to offer.

comments welcome.

Pro Travel Tripod Kit w/ Ball Head FT6662A Aluminum NEW - eBay (item 200290482493 end time Mar-20-09 12:05:24 PDT)

03-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I looked at the tripod you mentioned and it looks a lot like my Bogen 3221. The weight is the only thing I would question though. It looks like it will become a bit unstable if it is extended to far. BUT for a full-featured tripod you can't beat the price. It could turn out to be a great deal.
03-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks ok, probably some no-brand chinese tripod, I guess it would work ok with a light lens and cable release. Probably difficult to get precise adjustment of inclination etc due to cheap construction.

Short, though.
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

I got this one...seems to be the same thing. I really like mine...good and solid for a great price.

03-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I just sold my Fancier FT6662A. It was ok, but with the legs fully extended it wasn't very stable. Otherwise it was nice and light. The ballhead, quickrelease etc worked ok and it was nicely finished with a good bag. It's ok if you don't have to put too much weight on it.

I just this morning picked up a Victory 3010 tripod with ballhead from the post office. It isn't as nicely finished as the Fancier but feels much more solid and sturdy even fully extended. I got it through mflenses.com forum for a very nice price and it can be found from their ebay shop.

some pics borrowed from the net:

Last edited by ovim; 03-09-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typo
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Jeepson - Thanks for the heads up on thar dolica. I own a dolica, but it was a gift hence is is plastic crap. As for the proline needed the swing out legs for my nature/macro shooting. Does the folded height of 22.8" include the ball head? Just want to check fit on my flipside 300. Also how much wieght do you normally have on it. I'd be around 2 - 2 1/2 # with my K200 and tammy 17-50.

Thanks for your help

ovim - thanks for the notes on the fancier, know that would be a good choice for me too. Just strange thing i noticed. The dolica above is rated to hold twice the wieght, but is lighter than the fancier....? Wondering how much weight you had on yours normally.

The victory looks nice, just to big/pricey for my travel/flash stand tripod.

Also i saw the fancier has a reversible center column. Any idea how/why you would use/need/want this?

Last edited by shiestmiester; 03-09-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added info
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just checked the pics of the dolica and it might be from the same manufacturer but it's not the same as the fancier ft-6662a.

03-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess what it comes down to is the warranty/support. I don't think there would be any US support if my Fancier broke. Comes from Hong Kong. Dolica on the otherhand probably has a US branch, or something better than anonymous e-mails through crappy translator to China.

Plus it's $10 less
03-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, not sure about the tripod, but the company is literally located in my neighborhood. I'm bookmarking their site and will probably get a couple of things, provided I can pick them up and see them in person.
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rfprtson ~ I assume your talking about fancier? What's there website. Or r u just talking about the eBay store?
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ovim:
I just sold my Fancier FT6662A. It was ok, but with the legs fully extended it wasn't very stable. Otherwise it was nice and light. The ballhead, quickrelease etc worked ok and it was nicely finished with a good bag. It's ok if you don't have to put too much weight on it.

I just this morning picked up a Victory 3010 tripod with ballhead from the post office. It isn't as nicely finished as the Fancier but feels much more solid and sturdy even fully extended. I got it through mflenses.com forum for a very nice price and it can be found from their ebay shop.

some pics borrowed from the net:
Can you please give me the total weight of this setip? Thanks.
03-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jeepson33s
Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

I got this one...seems to be the same thing. I really like mine...good and solid for a great price.
I looked at this and found it incredible value for the price, so I ordered one, Thanks jeepson! Even the Amazon reviews were all thumbs up. Looking forward to giving it a try.
03-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #13

like i said...i really enjoy mine and it does do the leg thing to make it sit on the floor which i did not realize that it did until i saw that picture! Awesome...hope everyone enjoys it!
03-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Jewelltrail - Let me now how you feel about that tripod. If you like it im pretty sure thats the one im going with. (Fancier has 1 year replacement parts)

Jeepson - Thanks again for the heads up on a great deal. Glad you learned to legs fold out too!!

What setup are you guys planning on running wieght wise? I'll be using a K200 (no grip.... yet) with either tammy 17-50, SMC M 50mm f/2, or Sears 135 2.8. Should have more than enough support for any of those.
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I got an Impact 1018 from B&H for under $50 delivered. I reviewed it in the sticky thread here and I just updated the review. It's actually very well made except for the QR plate and works well. It has all the features discussed here and despite the weak QR is a great value. The QR issue doesn't allow the camera to drop, it just wobbles until it's adjusted precisely.

hth