Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketplace Gear Watch List

As requested recently and in the past, I've now added an ebay-style watch list feature to the marketplace.

You will find the watch list interface, pictured below, directly above the thread listings on the main marketplace index. Simply click on the button to add a new keyword to watch. To remove a keyword, simply click on it.

Name:  watchlist.png
Views: 2889
Size:  5.9 KB

If any new listings are found that match terms on your watch list, you will receive an e-mail notification within an hour of the listing creation time. Add as many terms as you'd like to the list!
Note: terms on your watch list will expire after 1 year for the sake of cleanliness

Name:  email.gif
Views: 2797
Size:  7.2 KB

This will work great if you've got some items in mind that you're looking to buy. If you'd like to get e-mail updates on ALL marketplace activity, I recommend you subscribe to the marketplace forum instead. If you'd like to track marketplace threads via the forum interface (as opposed to e-mail), you can also subscribe to individual threads or our RSS feeds.

Enjoy!

In the future, I may add this to the wanted section as well (for site supporters). Another note: this is only available in the modern skins (green, red, and gray), but should work in all modern browsers that support them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great feature, I hope that will be soon enabled in classic theme too (I can only see it in Modern interface).
10-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Watch Facility

This is a great idea. Thanks a lot.

Chris
10-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Super!Good job Adam!

10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So cool ! Thanks for your great work Adam ! This is awesome !
10-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is great, Adam! Thanks so much!
10-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #7

Thanks your Adam.

10-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't see this - do I have to enable something. I can only see the 'sorting' filter bar above the list which is new but not the notify me.

EDIT: I can access now

Last edited by sany; 10-09-2011 at 11:01 AM.
10-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll do my best to add it to the classic themes, but it'll definitely require some changes because of IE7.
10-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll do my best to add it to the classic themes, but it'll definitely require some changes because of IE7.
Thanks. More feedback:

1) Should be able to associate related words, for example, k5 and k-5
2) Search should be more smarter rather than purely based on content. To give you an example, I added watch for k5 and k-5, and I got the notification for this thread which actually sells makinon-50mm lens (and not k5). However, I received that notification may be because that thread mentions k5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/161757-sale-m...h-looking.html

3) A minor UI inconsistency - clicking on existing keywords deletes it. Like many similar UI, I expected that it will allow me to edit instead of deleting it.

Last edited by yusuf; 10-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
10-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Number 1 is already being done, number two won't be though, as some people use terrible thread titles; we have to search the posts as well.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now added support for the simple and classic skins in modern browers. Enjoy!

Adam

10-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is an awesome feature.. If I am buying any used Pentax Gear I buy it here... Didn't mean to rhyme . I figure if I can help out a fellow Pentaxian why not !

Thanks Adam for a great site!
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Number 1 is already being done, number two won't be though, as some people use terrible thread titles; we have to search the posts as well.
It's not about searching post or title, it's about searching smart, more than just blind searching the content which likely to generate false notifications. While this feature is useful, it's effectiveness is far less unless the search algorithm is refined. For example, 2 out of 3 notifications I received were unrelated and I have to turn it off (you may be able to see the logs)
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
No search algorithm is going to give you perfect results- so if you don't like it, don't use it. Try more specific keywords if you don't want false positives.

Adam