Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

high speed sync

hi, my name is lexx.i'm new to this forum and would like to ask why i can't get my k10d camera and af540agz flash to wireless high speed sync. it says in the manual it dose and i have downloaded the latest firmware for the camera but still no luck
. can anyone shed any light ( excuse the pun) regards lexx.

10-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lexx44 Quote
hi, my name is lexx.i'm new to this forum and would like to ask why i can't get my k10d camera and af540agz flash to wireless high speed sync. it says in the manual it dose and i have downloaded the latest firmware for the camera but still no luck
. can anyone shed any light ( excuse the pun) regards lexx.
What exactly is the setup you're using and what shutter speed are you trying to sync?

As much as I love Pentax, the current P-TTL flash offerings stink IMHO versus the performance of the flash systems from Nikon and Olympus. I've used Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Pentax flash systems in my work over the last 6-7 years, so I feel somewhat justified in my personal opinion that Pentax engineers could do better.

Anyway, if you can share some details (what you're trying to do and how you've been trying to do it) we might be able to help.
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You cannot Wireless HSS with the built in flash as the controller/master

You can only wireless HSS if the controller/master flash is a 360 or a 540.

I know the manual is confusing, I got me thinking for a while too. But you need 2 Pentax flashes (one on the hot shoe), to get wireless HSS to work.

With the built in flash, you can only do regular flashes, so up to 1/180.
10-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
You cannot Wireless HSS with the built in flash as the controller/master.
Sorry, I do not agree on this one. Wireless HSS sync is possible using the built in flash as controller. In fact, is the only way to use it if you want wireless HSS. check AF540FGZ manual pages 46 to 47.

Robert B.
Attachment 21158

Last edited by rburgoss; 11-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have SR image stabilization on? You can't and do HSS wirelessly. One reason I still keep the Pentax ttl cable handy for macro w/ flash bracket.
thanks
barondla

I also don't agree that the Olympus flash system is better than Pentax. My Oly 300/330 and Fl36 flash has issues like any system. Sometimes it nails shots sometimes the Pentax does. Olympus was the last to add wireless (right after buying my unwireless one). Do love one feature on Oly. If you turn camera off with flash on , it also turns off. Turn camera back on and flash does too. Neat.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
10-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"You cannot Wireless HSS with the built in flash as the controller/master."

"Sorry, I do not agree on this one. Wireless HSS sync is possible using the built in flash as controller. In fact, is the only way to use it if you want wireless HSS. check AF540FGZ manual pages 46 to 47."

The OP has already read the manual, thus the post, right? Have you in fact DONE what the manual says and then actually been able to use HSS wirelessly? Using the K10D, I have not. "Enable the built-in flash unit of the camera and display ( W HS) on the LCD panel." This does not show up on my LCD panel; further, I can set shutter speed above 180 but when I actually take the shot, the resulting image has always defaulted to 180. SO what now?
I can accept that I'd need a second AF540 to actually do this, if that is the answer. I think it's just that the OP is probably frustrated by the manual's apparently incorrect information. (I am too!)
10-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
High speed sync

Thanks to everyone for the posts . The most likely reason seems to be that you need two hotshoe flashes and WHSS can`t be performed with the pop up flash as the manual says. Thanks again lexx44.

10-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, I'm pretty sure wireless HSS works with a K10 and both the 360FGZ and the Sigma 530 super, so the 540 must have it too...

On-board flash has absolutely to be set to controller (not Master!), then you have to synch flash and body channels, and that's all...
10-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neversatisfyed, Sure your K10D is on firmware 1.3? Had to be updated to show wireless flash on menu. K10D doesn't do wireless straight out of the box! Once updated, camera should show it in FN menu without flash being connected. To check firmware push menu while turning camera on.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Enter now!
10-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Sorry, I do not agree on this one. Wireless HSS sync is possible using the built in flash as controller. In fact, is the only way to use it if you want wireless HSS. check AF540FGZ manual pages 46 to 47.

Robert B.
Attachment 21158
Clearly it is either a typo in step 4, or it is not referring to the K10d. Especially considering that WHS is not available as a selection on the K10d. You should probably read step 5 where it says to set the flash to leading curtain synch (not HSS).

You may also want to reference the 1.3 firmware manual supplement where it clearly states that HSS is NOT available in the K10d and wireless mode.
10-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My K10D was Version 1.1 when I first got it but the Version 1.3 firmware update has been installed. I can do wireless with the 540, and HSS, but not both. Built-in flash set to "Controller", and tried with and without SR. No luck.
OK, well looks like I'd need a second 540 on-camera just to fire the off-camera one in HSS. Not an expense I can afford right now. Bummer.
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

Robert B.
Robert, there is nothing to be sorry for. But as an owner of a K10D and 2 Pentax 540s, I am telling you through experience, I can only get Wireless HSS to work when I have one of my 540s on the hotshoe. I cannot get wireless HSS to work with the built in flash.

The manual tells you to seek the Wireless HSS mode on the camera which does not exist on my K10D. To my knowledge, this is a feature limitation that exists in both K10D and K20D. The 540 was around before the K10D, so when the manual was written, it may very well have been accurate. My guess would be one of the ist series cameras.
10-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
The 540 was around before the K10D, so when the manual was written, it may very well have been accurate. My guess would be one of the ist series cameras.
While this is totally true, the manual was also updated (don't know when), but mine features what is and what is not available with all current Pentax DSLS, including K10D and K20D. As reference to this, the manual says (AF540FGZ):

Page 40:
Attachment 21238

Another interesting note: Look at step 3. Maybe this was not set correctly. (page 52):
Attachment 21240

Another reference to all cameras on page 60:
Attachment 21241

Probably, the most important page regarding this matter, page 63:
Attachment 21242

Some extra considerations on page 76:
Attachment 21243

I personally havent tried WHSS with my K20D and AF540FGZ, but do use a lot of Wireless using built in flash as controller only, and everything goes smooth "by the book". In fact, I've had more "flash exposure errors" when my 540 is attrached to hotshoe that when used wireless.

After reading the manual, I do agree that it takes too much steps and too much considerations to put things to work as pretended (slave channel, sync mode, camera meter on or off, wireless channel, firmware version, mood of spouse and probably your credit card balance too takes into consideration).

I also know that the manuals are originally written in japanese, then probably translated to arabic, then to latin and later to english. Being in the graphics industry I know for sure there has to be something "screwed up in translations". If this is the case, maybe pentax should be contacted to make them aware of such errors or better yet, issue firmware updates "to match what the manual says".

Robert B.

Last edited by rburgoss; 11-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.
10-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It's great to see that they've updated the manual. I only skimmed the pages you posted, but I see no errors.

P-TTL, HSS, and Wireless are indeed supported with our cameras. The pages do not claim that our cameras will support Wireless HSS.