Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tethered Shooting With a Pentax

Does anyone know of a software program like Sofortbild for Apple Computers that allowed tethered shooting with a Pentax DSLR?

VR
Darryl

11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Does anyone know of a software program like Sofortbild for Apple Computers that allowed tethered shooting with a Pentax DSLR?

VR
Darryl
What camera are you using? The Remote Assistant software from Pentax allows tethered shooting. Depending on your model, it works or can be flaky. My K100D Super isn't supported, but works sometimes.

Lightroom can import the pictures real-time along with the Remote Assistant software (it can't do tethered shooting directly).

Aperture can do tethered shooting, but I don't use it so I don't know how it works.
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote

Aperture can do tethered shooting, but I don't use it so I don't know how it works.
There is a list of supported cameras in Aperture for tethered shooting.... pentax is not on the list.

mike
11-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank for your response. I haven't been thrilled with Pentax's Remote Assistant, so I was looking for something from an independent source.

11-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From another thread here, it appears that the K7 is not supported via the remote assistant for tethered shooting. I am wondering if Pentax has dropped it for good. Hopefully, they will return with the capability.

I do not see the remote assistant as being a great software utility as in a family jewel. That said, I wish that Pentax would make the remote assistant open source or publish the API, so that other utilities could be used.

I do think that this would make the Pentax community grow in time.
11-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
for Linux there is...

QuoteQuote:
That said, I wish that Pentax would make the remote assistant open source or publish the API, so that other utilities could be used.

Open source tethered app exists for linux..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...w-version.html
11-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I remember correctl, Capture One supper the K10/20d, but nothing yet forthe k-7/x. I'm thinking about getting C1, because Remote Assisstant is such a pain.

11-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Bibble

Bibble supports tethered shooting for most Pentax SLRs at least pre K7.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Bibble supports tethered shooting for most Pentax SLRs at least pre K7.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
I checked a couple of times. Yes, Bibble supports the image RAW files from Pre-K7 cams but the tethered shooting isnt availiable. They listed the supported cameras in a bad way so it looks like its supported.

If you take a look at the link (Bibble Labs: Bibble 4 Specs) you'll see that the tethered support are on mainly Canon and Nikon models. The header is in lavender.
11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
I checked a couple of times. Yes, Bibble supports the image RAW files from Pre-K7 cams but the tethered shooting isnt availiable. They listed the supported cameras in a bad way so it looks like its supported.

If you take a look at the link (Bibble Labs: Bibble 4 Specs) you'll see that the tethered support are on mainly Canon and Nikon models. The header is in lavender.
Is that the same deal with the Capture One software, or does it actually allow tethered shooting?
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is so little Windows Camera Control for Pentax that I assume they have not provided the vendors any application support. I do a lot of astrophotography and I would love to collect the images directly on the computer. Remote Assistant is limited to 30 seconds, far to short for my needs. It also does not officially support the K100D. I'm in the, "forgotten generation."
11-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

They definitely need to get on the ball with better tathered support for the newer bodies, and better tethered support all around. I feel like this is really one of the factors that keeps the cameras out of the professional realm. I know the image quality is up to the task for 99% of prfessional gigs, especially studio stuff, but I know a lot of pre studio shooters that wouldn't even consider a cameras system that can't shoot straight into a laptop/desktop.
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
My K100D Super isn't supported, but works sometimes.
"Sometimes" sounds odd. I just discovered that in the following, point 3 is important. I had it wrong today and things didn't work until I cracked the problem:

With my K100D (firmware version 1.02) I have to make sure to
  1. use Remote Assistant version 1.0.
  2. set the image quality to RAW. The Remote Assistant always saves a .PEF file and if the quality is not RAW, only the preview image works but you get garbage as the main image content.
  3. set instant preview to "Off". If I leave it at my normal setting "5 sec", the operation is unreliable.

Last edited by Class A; 01-15-2010 at 03:39 AM.
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

tethered shooting isn't available for K7-Kx because the cameras don't support it.
Tethering needs support on both sides and Pentax yanked it for some reason which is another reason I haven't upgraded my K20D :-P
01-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
"Sometimes" sounds odd. I just discovered that in the following, point 3 is important. I had it wrong today and things didn't work until I cracked the problem:

With my K100D (firmware version 1.0) I have to make sure to
  1. use Remote Assistant version 1.0.
  2. set the image quality to RAW. The Remote Assistant always saves a .PEF file and if the quality is not RAW, only the preview image works but you get garbage as the main image content.
  3. set instant preview to "Off". If I leave it at my normal setting "5 sec", the operation is unreliable.
Interesting. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: I tried it out and it works great. Thanks.

Last edited by alohadave; 01-14-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Testing