Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New PF Style- Feature List

Hi guys,

As you can see, the new style is live, so I won't go into detail on what's new visually, as it's all around you

Note to users of IE6, IE7, and IE8: you are using an out-dated browser that cannot display our new skin. If you're on a personal computer, upgrade your browser ASAP: Download Internet Explorer 9 - Microsoft Windows

The minimum screen resolution supported by the new skin is 1024x600. If you have a smaller screen, please use our low-fi skin (purple icon in the lower-left corner of the page).

However, quite a few site features were actually added alongside the skin. Here's a quick overview:

Search Box
The new search box, located in the upper-right corner of the page, is smart and searches the site area that you're currently browsing (i.e. lens reviews, gallery, or forum). Click on the box to see advanced searching options.

Fixed and Fluid Versions of the Skin
Using these icons in the lower-left corner of the page, you can stretch the layout to fit your screen, or view a 1100px fixed version if you have a very wide screen. If you only have a 1024px screen, stick to the fluid version, which will comfortably inside a maximized window.

This system relies on cookies, so your preference will not be remembered across multiple computers.

New Unanswered Threads
A link in the header is now provided to new unanswered threads since your last visit.

Who Liked This
You can now see who liked a post (this feature loads content on demand, so you may see a progress bar before anything shows up).

Sort by Likes
Threads inside each forum can now be sorted by the number of likes they've gotten- an effective way to find the best threads.

Easily Find the Good Stuff
Member like counts in posts are now links to a list of all their liked posts. Also, you are able to view the number of likes each thread has gotten directly from within the main thread listings.

Likes in Lens/Camera Reviews

You can now "like" reviews in our equipment review databases. The more likes a review has gotten, the earlier it appears in the listings. This system is fully integrated with the forum, so you will see a message in your usercp and profile whenever someone likes your reviews.

My Liked Posts / What I Like
Links to posts that you've liked as well as posts that have been liked by others are now provided. This will let you keep track of threads without having to subscribe to them.

Social Stuff
You will find social plugins at the top of the forum homepage, as well as links to share posts at the bottom of each thread.

3 Colors
The new skin comes in three colors, just like the old one- green, red, and gray. A fourth dark color scheme will also be added to the lineup later on!

Thread Filtering
Access thread filtering controls by clicking on the "Thread Filtering Options" link in a forum. The filtering area will remain visible as long as it is in use.

New Guest Dropdowns
Guests now get links to the latest forum activity, and all translation links are hidden nicely in a single menu.

Style Selector

You can switch between style colors in the lower-left corner of the page.

Quick Access Icons
These icons will be displayed whenever you hover over a forum title on the forum homepage. Left to right, they allow you to: browse new threads, post a thread, subscribe, or view the RSS feed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow Adam! When I first got on here this morning, I almost didn't know where I was at! This is a very positive change. I like it!

Keep up the good work! Thanks for all you do.
07-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In another tread something was said about a bookmarking feature.
Is there one?
07-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Banned

Bummer I'm on XP on my netbook, so no IE-9.

07-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In another tread something was said about a bookmarking feature.
Is there one?
Yup- it's right above quick reply!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I misunderstood the premise. I thought we were going to be able to bookmark an individual post for our own future reference.
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

There doesn't seem to be a link to the home page from the forum pages, the links all just go back to the root forum page.

Edit - of course, NOW when I click the home button it works, but it didn't work the first time I clicked it - honest!

07-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great work. The new features are definitely practical, and the look quite easy on the eyes as well as being user-friendly.
07-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Okay, I misunderstood the premise. I thought we were going to be able to bookmark an individual post for our own future reference.
If you like the posts, you can find them by going to my activity -> posts I like- I guess that could work like a bookmark

Adam

07-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, not really what I was looking for.

Dropdowns seem pretty sluggish too. I'll be sticking with the Simple skin I think.
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jodokast is right about the drop down links - could they be programmed to be faster/more responsive? On a slow computer, these drop downs can take up to 3 secs to come down...
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ronhendricks. Try firefox on xp.
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Got IE-9 and no "new look" what did I do wrong?
07-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
This link should get you to the new style, or use the icons at the bottom of the page: Pentax Photography & Camera Forum - PentaxForums.com

Adam

07-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice Adam, I like the choices of colour.