Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon Employees Are Forbidden to Sit Down, Walk at Normal Pace

Suck to be Canon Employee I guess

"The president of Canon Electronics, Hisashi Sakamaki, is also the author of a book proposing some of the same measures he takes with his own company. His theory is that forcing employees to stand not only saves money but increases productivity and enhances employee relationships.

In the hallway, if an employee walks slower than 5 meters every 3.6 seconds, an alarm and flashing lights are set off, reminding the poor startled worker that he's an inefficient waste of air. Even better (or worse), there's a sign on the floor in said hallways that reads, "Let's rush: If we don't, the company and world will perish." The big boss, as a reward for thinking up all this stuff, gets to lounge in a nice, relaxing chair."

Gizmodo - Canon Employees Are Forbidden to Sit Down, Walk at Normal Pace - Canon

Last edited by vizjerei; 06-02-2009 at 12:17 PM.
06-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i wouldnt last a week in such a setting.
06-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

saw this one before. Id go nuts and end up sitting down on the floor (and getting fired?)
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
. . .
In the hallway, if an employee walks slower than 5 meters every 3.6 seconds, an alarm and flashing lights are set off, reminding the poor startled worker that he's an inefficient waste of air. . . .

What happens after that . . . a dude with a Samurai sword jumps out and chases them?

Edit: I wonder what their quality assurance program is like.

06-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shirts are nice - remind me of those the Beach Boys wore on tour in the mid '60's.

Jer
06-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What happens after that . . . a dude with a Samurai sword jumps out and chases them?

If you make a bad L lens you die.
06-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This same thread got an interesting response at the Canon Unhelpful Forums. Many people just said "so what, I have to stand up when I work too, what makes them so special?"

I was amazed.

I really was.

06-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This same thread got an interesting response at the Canon Unhelpful Forums. Many people just said "so what, I have to stand up when I work too, what makes them so special?"

I was amazed.

I really was.
I'd take away the personal music headphones, too.
06-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

I think they've hired Terry Tate.

YouTube - Terry Tate Late Lunch
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is this a policy applicable worldwide or just restricted to Japan? I can't imagine it in Europe and the Americas.
06-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Try it in Australia. I dare ya.

"Sir, you are walking too slow."

"F*ck off. I'm on smoko. Mention that again and I'm gettin' the f*ckin' shop steward."
06-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #12

Comedy, if it's true.

Though I notice all those great productivity ideas rarely apply to the people who come up with them.

My favourite is "open plan offices", where the people who promote them as the best thing since sliced bread, sit in nice offices with doors and walls.

Needs to be a law, if you come up with the idea, it must apply to you equally. Would stop politicians causing wars too!
06-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I feel sorry for the guy on the right having to work standing up and balancing a baseball on his head. That must have been the punishment for working too fast .
06-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

It is hard to imagine a workplace with such silly, strict rules. However, when I was in Nicaragua we spoke with people that worked in a factory in the 'Free Trade Zone' that were not permitted to talk to anyone during their entire shift. They told us they had devised ways around this by passing crib notes and using hand-signs. But if they were caught they would be disciplined or dismissed by management. The company was owned and managed by a Korean company.

Maybe it's part of Eastern work culture to be bullied by management. Silly uniforms, can't sit down, must walk a certain way, can't talk .... time for a revolution!
06-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I dont mind as long at the end of the month there is a big paycheck...otherwise pitchforks and torches await the management.

Last edited by Reportage; 06-03-2009 at 07:58 AM.