Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
iPhone 3GS tap to focus

Apple's new iPhone announced today has a new 3MP autofocus camera. It features a 10cm macro function and a tap to focus feature that it pure genius! I mean, who knows better what you are trying to focus on than the photographer?! Beats auto face recognition any day. Now, if it would only track what you tell it to focus on....

06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Banned

seems like a very cool feature. I winder if the photos actually look as good as they do on the sight? I can hardly think so. still not interested though. haven't need a mobile thus far. don't need one now. besides, my ipod gives me enough grief as it is.
06-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

again not new
DSC-T900 | Silver Cyber-shot® Digital Camera DSC-T900 | Sony | Sony Stye USA
06-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

yep several touch screen p&s cams have that, including panasonic ones like fx500

06-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that would actually be pretty cool on a Live View camera. Imagine touching the areas that you want in focus and then the camera setting the focus and depth of field accordingly...
06-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

but maybe the first for a phone?
06-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
but maybe the first for a phone?
a digital compact is a digital compact. just because one has a phone as well doesn't really make it any different.

06-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

w/ all respect to Rob, this post seemed like Apple pimping like the Macbook SD card thread
06-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Funny how people get worked up by Apple's ability to turn the norm into something special. Also funny is how folks go strangely silent when actually encountering something new that is an improvement over the norm (a la the pinch-spread finger movements that the iPhone did introduce as new).

Meanwhile, the Pentax faithful go into throes of ecstacy because we now have AF assist lamps, 5 FPS, an "better" AF, all things that are clearly NOT new except to us...

06-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Funny how people get worked up by Apple's ability to turn the norm into something special. Also funny is how folks go strangely silent when actually encountering something new that is an improvement over the norm (a la the pinch-spread finger movements that the iPhone did introduce as new).

Meanwhile, the Pentax faithful go into throes of ecstacy because we now have AF assist lamps, 5 FPS, an "better" AF, all things that are clearly NOT new except to us...

except you are leaving out one thing that seperates pentax from apple.

price point.

apple is the most expensive of the bunch, but cant offer things that others have been offering for a while at much less cost. if pentax were the most expensive brand it would be the same way.
06-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
a digital compact is a digital compact. just because one has a phone as well doesn't really make it any different.
That's funny, because when I go to the camera store I can't find the iPhone anywhere. And should DPReview be evaluating the latest Motorola or Nokia for bokeh? The iPhone is a phone first. Actually, it's a handheld computer first, then a phone, then a camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
w/ all respect to Rob, this post seemed like Apple pimping like the Macbook SD card thread
What's so wrong about talking about a photography-related feature in new technology products? I'd be just as interested in reading about photo related features in new Blackberries, Palm Pres, and Nokias.

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote

Apple's genius is not inventing things, it's making them more usable. They didn't invent the MP3 player but changed the market with the iPod. Likewise with the iPhone with regards to the smartphone market. Kudos to them for that, and if it was so easy than others would be doing to too on a regular basis.
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
That's funny, because when I go to the camera store I can't find the iPhone anywhere. And should DPReview be evaluating the latest Motorola or Nokia for bokeh? The iPhone is a phone first. Actually, it's a handheld computer first, then a phone, then a camera.
irrelevent. the function is the same. just because the iphone is also a phone, computer whatever. those other aspects don't come into play here. it now features a tap to focus, for the camera. in this respect, it isn't a industry first, nor is it overly spectacular.
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What's so wrong about talking about a photography-related feature in new technology products? I'd be just as interested in reading about photo related features in new Blackberries, Palm Pres, and Nokias.
there's nothing wrong, it's just the OP presented it as something Apple innovated
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
Inactive Account

So by that logic, "new" is only good if it's cheap?

I think what both Pentax and Apple excel at are making products that don't feel cheap and give the buyer a sense of satisfaction that they've bought a quality product. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying product that is well designed or made.

As it stands now, would you take a $600 feature-matched Rebel or Nikon equivalent over a sparkling new $1,200 K7? I sure wouldn't...

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
except you are leaving out one thing that seperates pentax from apple.

price point.

apple is the most expensive of the bunch, but cant offer things that others have been offering for a while at much less cost. if pentax were the most expensive brand it would be the same way.
06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
So by that logic, "new" is only good if it's cheap?
don't put words in my mouth. I never said that. you expect the higher cost products to at least have the features that the cheaper brands have. apple finally puts a card reader in their notebook, at the expense of the express card slot. my 600.00 ideapad has both.