Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Pentax Da* 50-135mm SDM Contact Pin Missing.

Dear Pentax Team

Recently I brought Used Pentax DA*50-135mm lens from Ebay, After using few months, One Day, I realized that one of the copper pin is missing. After I discussed with my friend that using Pentax, They says that this is the Contact Point for SDM Lens, without that, you cannot doing the AF and also cannot set the Aperture. After that, When I sung back again the lens just only one copper pin, all the function still works.

My question is:-

Did Pentax have the only SDM contact Pin Spare Parts Selling. (I tried in my country Malaysia, they say there are no such parts. Or can I buy whole set of SDM motor assembly to fix-it? (I just want that SDM Contact Pin Only)

Hope Pentax team member can help me solved this problem.

If need the photo, I can sent to Pentax team where the parts is (I mean is SDM Contact Pin).

Thank you
Have A Nice Day.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm assuming that the lens pictured (that's an 18-135) isn't the problem lens?

If you want to have the lens fixed, send it in, or return it and get a new one. I doubt Pentax will sell you parts over sending you to an authorized repair center...

Here's a diagram of the lens mount

View Picture EXIF
Name:  SDM.jpg
Views: 5831
Size:  126.2 KB

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Dear Adam

Thank you for your advise. Yes this is Pentax 18-135mm Lens. (My Problem lens is 50-135mm). May I know if 2 SDM Power Contact Pin is lose or missing did the AF& Aperture still working?
10-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Some do consider it an advantage if the SDM breaks and the lens can only be used with screw drive while further being fully functional. If that is the case, I'm sure they're interested in knowing which pin is missing; so maybe you can indicate that in the / a photo.

10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
This is my Pentax DA* 50-135mm SDM Contact Pin I already missing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A3100 IS  Photo 
10-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup looks like the metal is broken off, you should be able to fix it with a little soldering.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What camera are you using? What firmware version? Some Pentax dslrs do not support SDM focusing. The K10D did not support it until firmware version 1.30.

If you are using it on a K100D, for example, the camera will use the screwdrive AF mechanism, since that camera does not support SDM.

But, yes, your lens is clearly missing one of the power contacts.

10-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm using Pentax K-r.

So it's it all internal focusing (SDM) there also have screw drive mechanism?

So, when the SDM won't work (Broken or Failure) , so the screw drive machanism will work?
10-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, screw drive won't work if SDM is supported (even if it's broken). KAF2 mounts with SDM have screwdrive also, KAF3's (most non DA*) do not.

Adam

10-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
That's means is my SDM now are unable to work untill I go to fix it, and now my 50-135mm is using screw drive focusing?
10-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it still works properly, I think that that is the case.

It reminds me a little of this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85877-i-broke-...t-happier.html
10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Very Bad News For Me.

Today I just received my friend call currently assist Pentax Malaysia for some stuff. My friend say that since this lens not brought in Malaysia and they will not help me to repair the lens. If want repair, they need to sent back to Japan,

Huh..? Sent back to Japan? So I might waiting long time response from Japan. Rather I buy another lens who have the SDM function and I just unplug the SDM contact pin and re-plug into my 50-135mm.....

Or any one can spare me the SDM contact pin....
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try going to an electronics store and buying a piece of bendable metal- that would be the easiest DIY solution.

Adam

10-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like an easy repair. Just try to get the part from Pentax and replace it properly. DON'T solder.
10-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
The SDM Contact Pin bendable area is like "Z" position.....so cannot DIY.... Anyone car spare me the SDm Contact Pin??? or any broken lens that have SDM Contact Pin...I can consider it....

Last edited by hugsbaby; 10-14-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Adding some sentence for helping