Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
=Capture a stranger street style=

Hi Folks. The most asked question I get is ''How do you do it?'' How can I get into street photography?
Do you have any tips and or advice?

These are my opinions regarding my technique and hence I can only share what works for “me”. These tips should not be considered Gospel…

The biggest problem I see with street photography is that there does not seem to be a solid definition of what it is. ”My definition’ of Street photography changes all the time…What it is today, may be different tomorrow. The important thing is that it shows something about what is going on. Street portraits are another style I enjoy. I love capturing emotion. Good and bad and sometimes mean. A street photo does not have to contain a stranger or a candid image of a person…Blank streets and many buildings can tell amazing stories all on their own. Composition is important but there are plenty of acceptation as sometimes there is no time to compose and frame. Most of the time a grab shot is all there is…I have these as well and I am glad I have them……Is there a wrong way to do street shooting? Personally, I don’t think so…; Though I have seen some really bad ones…Many of those bad ones I have taken myself.. The important thing is to have fun!
http://jgredline.blogspot.com/2012/02/hi-folks.html

To read more, click here and while there click the follow button as I will be sharing more and more tips as I get a chance. :)

Last edited by jgredline; 04-29-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Updated The OP
12-13-2008, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things are looking up.

Bubble man

Sweet 15

Last edited by jgredline; 04-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
12-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
jeffkpotter

Sorry, I have none of my own to post right now, but very enjoyable set artfully done!
12-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

These are pretty good street images, but I don't take street images for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Moreover, such images are not publishable by professional magazines precisely because you do not have any signed releases. Despite your code of ethics, others may not share your restraint, like the ignoble paparotzzi.

JMR

12-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
These are pretty good street images, but I don't take street images for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Moreover, such images are not publishable by professional magazines precisely because you do not have any signed releases. Despite your code of ethics, others may not share your restraint, like the ignoble paparotzzi.

JMR
Street is not for everyone that's for sure. I do know my rights though and stay with in those guide lines.
12-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't done much street shooting in the last few years but these are good images, thanks for posting them.
12-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Street is not for everyone that's for sure. I do know my rights though and stay with in those guide lines.
Your guidelines sound pretty good to me. There are so many interesting faces that show so well against the urban environment. I would love to do street photography, but am too timid to ask permission to photograph the interesting people I see on a daily basis.

Steve

12-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do some work for a local web site where my assignments are to go to public events and happenings and take what I call "smile shots". I ask people if I can take their picture then hand them a card directing them to where they can see the collection of pictures on a web site for the local newspaper.
I was not too surprised the first few times you would get the tough guys that, when asked if I can take your picture they reply with "I don't like having my picture taken." Ooo. Stop you are scaring me. What are you hiding out from the police there cool guy. But that's fine.
I usually get a few more spontaneous shots of people when they are off guard and not looking at the camera as well as doing the assignment of "smile for the camera" images to drive people to the web site.
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I don't believe in shooting girls or guys in bikinis...

Yikes! You folks on the left coast are a different breed for sure!

All kidding aside, I will take your post under advisement and give it a try.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images.
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

street shooting is a bit difficult, but one thing i have no problem with is shamelessly shooting people on the subway

having lived in a metropolis all my life, there is a certain vibe to the subway system (even different from busses/street cars)

if i was to describe it, i guess its the fact that when you're in the tube, you have no way out, and you have to deal with the odd 100 people with you, so you sort of become jaded, esp when you get to the point where you pretty much ahve seen everything.

anyway, some of my experiences:

12-15-2008, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Last edited by jgredline; 04-29-2012 at 01:06 PM.
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Goos,
I love your photography and these are great. I especially like the first, fourth and sixth image...Well done and I agree... ''street shooting is a bit difficult''.....But it is very cool.
12-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

I tried street shooting a couple times. Made me very nervous, especially since I don't run very fast

Anyway, here's one somewhat acceptable shot.

I Draw You!
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
elcahall,
That's a great shot. I have a couple of similar ones. I will see if I can find them and post them up.
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I have come up with an idea I would like to test some day. While street photography normally requires the photographer to be unobtrusive and surreptitious, I was wondering how it would be to go to the opposite extreme. I'm talking about something like wearing one of those reflective vests like guys on road construction gangs wear and being as obvious as possible with the camera and the act of shooting.

My theory is that most people would assume you must be some sort of legit "official" photographer for something or other and make an effort to ignore you and go about their business as though they hadn't seen you.

At the very least, anyone who didn't and objected you could fend off with, "Hey, it isn't like I'm hiding and taking your picture." Anyone who would feel inclined to object would have ample opportunity to avoid you, verbally object, or otherwise make clear they don't wish to be included in your photos. All the rest, you can assume implied consent (though that would be useless for publishing purposes, of course).

The idea stems from an idea I had when I was on daily "make-work" cleaning duty for a while when in school in the Navy. There was little to do, but we couldn't hide out and do nothing or we'd catch hell. I figured the best way to do nothing was to be conspicuous about it, so when I wanted a break I'd stand at parade rest by the door of some big office. Everybody who passed by assumed somebody else put me there and paid me no mind whatsoever.

Truth in Advertising

Pentax K20D
Super Takumar 85/1.9