Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5x Giveaway: Eye-fi 8Gb Pro X2!!
Posted By: Adam, 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Special Giveaway: 5 Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 Wireless SD Cards

I'm happy to announce our latest giveaway, sponsored by the makers of the unique Eye-fi wireless SD card. Five of these fabulous cards will be given away the the winners of this event, each at a value of $149! This event will run from 3/7/2011 through 4/7/2011.

Name:  p-X2_angle_pro-rgb.png
Views: 7634
Size:  31.5 KB

Before you enter this giveaway, please ensure that you have voted for our previous giveaway

Overview

This is a "no purchase necessary event", and any PentaxForums.com member is free to participate.

The 5 winners of this giveaway will be drawn at random. However, each participant has the opportunity to get up to 12 tickets for the drawing. Therefore, if you go above and beyond, you can improve your chances of winning! The following is the ticket breakdown:

• 3 tickets: a short paragraph about how you would use your Eye-Fi SD card or something that you've learned about the Eye-Fi card. What would it allow you to do that you can't do with your current setup? What uses would you have for it beyond those listed on the product page?
  • 9 tickets: post up to 3 Pentax accessory (preferably), camera, or lens reviews in our lens, third-party lens, camera, or accessory review databases. If you already own an eye-fi card, feel free to review it as well (it may be added to our accessory database)! Note: these won't award tickets unless you also include the short paragraph about the Eye-Fi card. Also, your reviews must be written on or after 3/7/2011.
Thus, you may submit up to 4 things for this giveaway. Each will be scored on a scale of 1-3, and this will determine the number of raffle tickets awarded:
  1. Low-quality, under 300 words (review) or under 120 words (Eye-Fi paragraph)
  2. Good review, but doesn't introduce anything new (i.e. you are echoing others' comments)
  3. Excellent review with both a personal touch and interesting content
Going by this:
  • No paragraph = 0 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and no reviews = 3 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 short reviews = 5 tickets
  • Good paragraph + 3 good reviews = 8 tickets
  • Excellent paragraph and 3 excellent reviews = 12 tickets
  • ...and so on

General Procedure

1. Please start by reading about the eye-fi card. You may also be interested in browsing the eye-fi website.
  2. Post a reply to this thread containing your short paragraph as well as links to your 3 reviews if you chose to write them.
  3. It's as easy as that- you're all set!
In some respects, this giveaway is similar to our previous giveaway, as it also offers 5 prizes and has a review aspect. Good luck, everyone!

ALL QUESTIONS GO HERE

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVONLY POST SUBMISSIONS BELOWVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Views: 37,703
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

from working in a local camera shop, selling the full range of eye-fi cards i have talked a few people into purchasing them based on there unique requirements. I personally feel i would benefit from the cards every single time i download my images to my PC, as i spend at least 10 minutes searching for my usb cable and them upload them straight to Facebook and flickr. With the eye-fi cards i could same so much time and hassle. The second important factor would be during a portrait shoot within the studio, the photos can be transferred instantly for my clients to view as soon as we finish, therefore i wouldn't have to arrange a viewing session a couple of days later, thus saving me time and importantly money. Unfortunately money being the reason i haven't taken the plunge for this innovative product already, however it was included on my list to Santa but i mustn't of been good enough this year.
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

I am into time lapse photography... I am always running out of room... its more than obvious why I could use Eye-Fi Pro x2 wireless SD card... Using the AD Hoc feature I could take pictures and the card would send them to my computer instantly! I would never run out of room... I could make videos over long periods of time. It would be a perfect addition to my Pentax K-r!
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can see so many different applications for this versatile card. Just a few are: a wedding photographer can upload pictures "on the fly" to a laptop and have an assistant send those uploaded pictures back to the photographer's shop where they will be ready for review and editing, as well as being safe from being lost or damaged. A crime scene investigator could take pictures of evidence at a crime scene and have them uploaded for immediate use by other officers. A wildlife photographer could take many pictures of animals he or she is observing and not have to stop to switch out SD cards and know the pictures are safely being stored at a remote location. A press photographer could immediately upload pictures of a breaking story in time for publishing in a newspaper or magazine.

03-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I work often outdoor and connect once a day my WR camera to the laptop for backup. The Eye-fi card would be very valuable to facilitate the transfer without the USB cable nor taking out the card. Both methods breach the camera WR, and the security of the wireless transmission would be an asset.
03-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, the most obvious uses have already been mentioned, except for one if I'm reading things correctly. It looks like it geotags your photos for you? If so, that's an outstanding service, in my eyes, to add to an already ingenious product. Now, of course you need a wireless connection in order to upload photos (unless you carry your laptop with you out out and about and set up an ad-hoc network), but with my Iphone I'm able to turn a cell signal into a wireless signal and broadcast a usable connection to the Eye-fi for truly a truly remarkable teatherless tethering setup. The biggest benefit I can see of course is the almost limitless amount of space for photo taking. Just this past weekend I realized that I had left my 16 GB card sitting in my card reader at home and only had a partially used 2 GB card left which gave me a total starting amount of 71 RAW photos that I could take. As I was out trying to capture wildlife (swan in a local pond seen here: IMGP1512 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) and timing is everything, for me to sit there for 15 or 20 minutes going through my old photos and trying to determine whether to keep them or not using the relatively small LCD screen is really not making good use of my time. Obviously, had I been using a product like Eye-Fi, this wouldn't have been an issue.
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
PEU

Well I'll try my ramble and maybe miss luck sides with me as I never won a single raffle that I recall participating.
The eyefi would save me quite a lot of time on downloading photos to my home server, but, now that I think about it better, the time will net zero while I try to explain to my wife how this magical stuff happens without wires.
Im sure she will think Im bonkers when I tell her that the photos I just took from the kids are already on the computer and she can share them with her facebook friends or whatever...
In any case, Im sure kids will understand how the card works faster and I will need to buy more for their cameras... and of course... eventually... wife will want hers too

Good luck to all participants!

03-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #8

This has been on my wish list for a while now - if I can reduce the cable octopus on my desk my one arm, I'm in!
03-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Forum Member

Best use of the Eye-Fi would be to take photos in the studio and have them immediately upload to the computer. Viewing the photo at full resolution without disturbing the camera and tripod to remove the memory card would be superb.
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
[langtitle=es]Great product, soon they'll buy.[/langtitle]

This card makes a distinction between the obsolete system of transfer by wires to a much-needed Instant transfer under normal conditions of hard work in photography.
03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how many times I've been testing out a lens or comparing lenses or trying to get lighting correct and have had to take some shots, and then upload them to my computer to take advantage of seeing them on a better and larger screen than my K-x offers. This means turning off camera, removing card, inserting card in reader, realizing what I should try differently, reinserting card in camera... I can see how a Wi-Fi card like this would greatly simplify and speed up this process. I also would take advantage of the geotagging option. It is a great feature that is important in documenting rather precise locations when I'm photographing archaeological sites.

Last edited by mgvh; 03-07-2011 at 11:28 PM.
03-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #12

Ok, here's my take on why an eye-fi pro would be a magnificiant peice of equipment for me...

As a short film producer the world of HD video on dslr camera's has provided many many oportunitys however its brought its share of challenges too. Particularly in the form of on set data wrangling and keeping track of what footage is on what card. This would be aleviated by having a laptop on set and using an eye-fi to dump the images direct to computer from the camera, thus allowing the data wrangler to get on with conversion and sorting. This would also protect against lost or damaged memory cards on set (they're fiddly little things after all and not always treated with the care thats their due). Finnally an Eye-Fi would also allow better access for the director and DOP to review the footage between takes etc.

Cheers
Phill
03-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Occasionally I shoot souvenir photo’s at events for free. By the time I run the memory card to the computer to print, my subject sometimes walks away. I think I would find this card useful to enable printing while I continue to shoot.
03-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #14

Paragraph:
Memory cards, what an invention. Once an item the size of a room, now fits into ones palm. When they were made, presumably our possibilities were endless. Sadly, the space on that designated card wasn't. Until now, memory cards were only limited to the number[s] it's labeled with. From KB, to MB, to even the ever-so-popular GB, the granddaddy of all memory cards. But sadly, even GB have their limits. And that's my problem. I desire a memory card that deserves to be inside my Pentax camera; A memory card with literally endless possibilities; and, a memory card with absolutely no limits. What? There is a memory card that can wirelessly transport pictures to my computer without the hassle of wires wiring up my life and slowing down my workflow? A memory card that hits a prestigious class 6 and basically has endless storage because of it's Wi-fi capabilities? I'm in.

Pentax Kx Review:
So you are into photography. You don't know much about it because all your life you've just been shooting with your little point and shoot camera. If you wanna get into the world of photography, the Pentax K-x is an absolute stunner in the world of beginner DSLR's. Let me go over the very important basics this camera can pump out.
PROS:
-Firstly, it's ISO performance is amazing so it has an impressive low light performance. One of the best in it's category (Beginner DSLR).
-The camera is extremely beginner friendly as well. It has a bunch of preset settings such as portrait mode, landscape mode, etc.
-Since it can shoot at an amazing 1/6000 of a second shutter speed, I've shot 100's of school sporting events with this beauty. With a 4.7 frames per second (Pictures per second) and a better than average AF system, if you are trying to get into sports photography, this is a great camera to start with.
-One of the things I thoroughly enjoy is the built in shake reduction. It means I can basically get shake reduction on ANY lens. Instead of having to buy lenses with shake reduction built into them, I can buy, inexpensive lenses and have the feature in hand.
-It can use every single Pentax lens ever made.
-The menus is simple to navigate through, and the editing options are great.
-It can shoot 1280x720p video. Which is almost ridiculous at the price you can get this camera in.
-It's an absolute bargain.

CONS:
-Sadly, in video mode which is a fairly decent 720p video, the shake reduction makes very annoying sounds, but I generally either try to keep the shake reduction off, or keep it on and try to avoid shaking the camera around too much.
-The camera also doesn't have an external mic output, so be aware of that.
-If you are trying to strictly get into filming, I do not recommend this camera.
-It uses only AA batteries, unlike it's bigger brother the Pentax K-r. The K-r can use AA and a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.

Good Luck to rest of you guys! :]
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As I venture more into studio photography with my K-7, I am continually wondering why is there no support for tethering? Where Pentax has remained silent, I welcome the Eye-Fi card. Not only would it solve the tethering dilemma, but it would do so without having to deal with the restrictive length of a USB cord! Which means I could place my camera in any position or angle without having to use a ridiculously long cord. The Ad Hoc mode also sounds fabulous as it is not reliant on an access point or wifi hotspot. As I am shooting more with strobes, it would be wonderful to immediately see my shots on a 27" monitor and make lightings adjustments on the fly. Goodbye chimping! Well, at least on a 3" LCD
Closed Thread