Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Voigtländer micro-4/3 rangefinder anyone?

Just stumbled across this announcement: OLYMPUS | News Release: COSINA CO., Ltd. Joins the Micro Four Thirds System Standard Group

I think this leaves room for lots of speculation but it appears that CV should come out with a m43 camera some time now. Now if they made an affordable rangefinder camera....

Anyone else intrigued?

08-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I doubt it. The fact that they released a lens first and foremost tells me otherwise; I think they'll just supply lenses to m4/3 cameras, much in the same way that they supply lenses for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and M-mount.
08-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's an interesting idea, but they've never developed a digital camera themselves. I believe the RD-1 was Epson's design and they just handled the building of the body and rangefinder portion of it for Epson.

I bet they'll just make lenses only. Which is ok with me in all honesty. I enjoyed my Bessa R2A, but I'd rather use an EVF for manual focus in the digital world. I don't know that I'll ever be interested in a digital rangefinder. For me they are part of the film world and I'll just buy a Zeiss ZM or Leica M6 if I want another.
08-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is interesting that the announcement is not simply that they will be making lenses for the mount, but that they have joined the 4/3 group. I wonder if they will make the lenses with auto aperture control - there isn't any mention in the press release out there.

08-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It is interesting that the announcement is not simply that they will be making lenses for the mount, but that they have joined the 4/3 group.
This is exactly what made me curious. Other lens makers produce m4/3 lenses as well, as far as I know, and issued no such announcement.

I wouldn't be too surprised if CV presented a digital RF-concept at Photokina. No release date, just a concept. If Leica can make it to the digital world, why wouldn't CV? In fact, I've always wondered about that. Either way, this could get very interesting.
08-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh and that 25/0.95 lens sounds absolutely badass at an amazing price point. Bet that's going to attract a bunch or two to the m4/3 system.
08-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
This is exactly what made me curious. Other lens makers produce m4/3 lenses as well, as far as I know, and issued no such announcement.
Incorrect. Only Panasonic and Olympus have so far made real micro-4/3 lenses (i.e., lenses that take full advantage of the mount). Perhaps you're thinking of the fourthirds mount. M4/3 is not an open standard (unlike 4/3) and I do believe you have to be part of the consortium if you want to make anything more than a full manual lens (like the Noktor 50/0.95) that can't communicate anything with the body, and you have to flip on the "Shott without lens" option in the Menu.

It seems like this Nokton may not be too different from the Noktor lens, but I hope, in the future, Voigtländer lenses will at least get open metering/auto aperture control (they'll never make an AF lens).