Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #256

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
What I HAVE noticed is that the corners have a fair amount of CA if uncorrected. The camera does correct for CA if you let it, but if you capture Raw, then there's a lot of CA smearing on the 16mm especially if uncorrected.

Also excessive PP can accentuate the CA if uncorrected.
I don't think the kit lens is terrible and I do think the 16mm gets a bad rap by a lot of people but I still think the corner sharpness leaves something to be desired but that may depend on what focal length you're shooting with. I personally haven't found that correcting CA fixes the problem (nor do all NEX cameras do it automatically, I'm shooting on a 3 until I have the opportunity to buy a 7).

That said I'll go back and play with fixing the CA more in post.

02-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joelR Quote
(nor do all NEX cameras do it automatically, I'm shooting on a 3 until I have the opportunity to buy a 7).
I think that could be the issue.

There's been a few posts on DPR that said the lenses (16mm and kit) appear to to be less sharp on the earlier models compared to the 5N, which is what I have.

Some people have postulated that the microlenses in the sensor of earlier generation cameras are not optimised for the short registration distance of E-mount, hence the lack of sharpness, particularly in corners. Others say it's simply due to CA correction.

Some people are also claiming the kit lens in the 5N is superior to the kit lens in earlier generations.

Perhaps this can explain the differences between our opinions - I purchased the 5N along with the kit zoom and 16mm.

I have noticed that the CA correction performed in camera is superior to the processing done by Lightroom (which has presets for both the kit zoom and the 16mm).

Last edited by Christine Tham; 02-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.
02-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #258
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Some people are also claiming the kit lens in the 5N is superior to the kit lens in earlier generations.
I have the original NEX-5 and the 5N. I'll compare the original 1855 with the one that came with the 5N on both cameras after my 5N comes back. I just sent mine to Sony Canada to service the video clicking issue.
02-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I have the original NEX-5 and the 5N. I'll compare the original 1855 with the one that came with the 5N on both cameras after my 5N comes back.
Thanks - I will be interested in your comparison.

02-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #260

Two sample shots made with NEX-5N with Pentax-110 18mm f/2.8 lens:

This is a nice combo, although my adapter isn't very well made (a bit loose). No chance to change aperture of course, but it makes me think before taking a shot, which is good ;-)
Now I'm going to give the 24mm f/2.8 a chance, than perhaps 70mm f/2.8.
02-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #261
Veteran Member

LOL - "asiahung" :-)
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #262
Veteran Member

After purchasing two more NEX → Leica M adapters (Metabones and Voigtlander) I've been cleared up they (these two and Novoflex) are not the reason of Super Elmar softness and color shift at left and bottom but NEX sensor misalignment. So, I guess I will buy Ricoh GXR — this thing have some very good references as an almost excellent still camera, with great usability. But inspite of that, this lens still is able to produce great images (I'm sure I am the weak link there) coupled with NEX-5N.

Last edited by Emacs; 02-29-2012 at 03:52 PM.
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Two sample shots made with NEX-5N with Pentax-110 18mm f/2.8 lens:

This is a nice combo, although my adapter isn't very well made (a bit loose). No chance to change aperture of course, but it makes me think before taking a shot, which is good ;-)
Now I'm going to give the 24mm f/2.8 a chance, than perhaps 70mm f/2.8.
Very lovely b&w shots. B&W are especially suited for the Pentax Auto 110 lens. I also have similar issue with loose adapter. I tried 2 different adapters and they are similar though from different makers -- jinfiance and fotodix from RainbowImaging. The adapters works better on the 18, 24mm and 50mm as they are of lighter weight with plastic body.

I wonder if there is any modification that can be done to extend the shorter leg on the back of the adapter as that is causing the loose connection with the lens mount.

By the way, I have a bunch of Pentax auto 110 items up for sale in marketplace. Few test pictures with Pentax Auto 110 20-40mm f/2.8 and 5N

1/6 sec, f/2.8, 20mm, iso 3200, 0 Ev, Sony 5N, hand-held, no PP

1/10 sec, f/2.8, 40mm, iso 3200, 0 Ev, Sony 5N, hand-held, no PP

Cheers,
Hin
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #264

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Very lovely b&w shots. B&W are especially suited for the Pentax Auto 110 lens.

I also have similar issue with loose adapter. I tried 2 different adapters and they are similar though from different makers -- jinfiance and fotodix from RainbowImaging. The adapters works better on the 18, 24mm and 50mm as they are of lighter weight with plastic body.

I wonder if there is any modification that can be done to extend the shorter leg on the back of the adapter as that is causing the loose connection with the lens mount.
No hint so far, but I've been using it for severals day only. If I find a way, I will post this info here.

By the way, I have a bunch of Pentax auto 110 items up for sale in marketplace. Few test pictures with Pentax Auto 110 20-40mm f/2.8 and 5N
I was looking for that zoom, so posted sth in your thread :-)
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM - 3 Likes   #265

More Pentax 100 lens samples, this time 70mm f/2.8 (and no Asia hanging now ;-)):

03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #266
Veteran Member

MicheleK,

That first shot is fantastic.

Jason
03-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #267

03-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
More Pentax 100 lens samples, this time 70mm f/2.8 (and no Asia hanging now ;-)):
I love your work. And if you post more of your Pentax Auto 110 70mm work, I may need to withdraw my sale of the 70mm in marketplace. One question to you though, do you get more vignette corners when you shoot in portrait orientation? Was your 2nd shot cropped from original? The 70mm is the sharpest but also the heaviest to use with the regular auto 110 adapter. I got more vignette in corners with the 70mm in strong daylight setting. At night or in b&w, the natural looking vignette goes well for the mood.

Kipon has come out with a more expensive auto 110 to NEX adapter and it cost more as in $95.00 in US, I will look up the link for your information.

update: here is the link in ebay -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-for-Pentax-PTX-AUTO-110-P110-to-Sony-E-Mount...ht_5162wt_1002

And this is the rear of the fotodix adapter that has a stopper for the lens and the stopper (the silver plate) is not strong or long enough to hold the leg of the 70mm well

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #269

I love your work. And if you post more of your Pentax Auto 110 70mm work, I may need to withdraw my sale of auto 110 70mm f/2.8 from marketplace.
Thanks a lot :-) I like these photos (though I don't find them extraordinary) perhaps because I like working with these small Pentax lenses on my Nex...

One question to you though, do you get more vignette corners when you shoot in portrait orientation? Was your 2nd shot cropped from original?
Both of the pictures are 100% of the frame.
It's hard to say if the portrait oriented pictures get more vignetting. I think it depends more on lighting. I got the biggest vignette in the landscape orientation (and using the "high contrast b&w" Nex filter, which may be important):

(cropped the all-black-bottom a little bit)

The 70mm is the sharpest but also the heaviest to use with the regular auto 110 adapter. I got more vignette in corners with the 70mm in good lighting. At night or in b&w, the natural looking vignette goes well for the mood.
Agreed. So far I like only a few color pictures I've taken with it.

Kipon has come out with a more expensive auto 110 to NEX adapter and it cost more as in $95.00 in US, I will look up the link for your information.

update: here is the link in ebay -- Adapter for Pentax PTX AUTO 110 P110 to Sony E Mount NEX-3 5 7 w/FREE Rear cap | eBay
Thanks a lot again. I'll watch this adapter and perhaps will buy it if the current one upsets me too much ;-)

EDIT: things a bit different in my adapter: there is a dent in the stopper that is supposed to hold the mount firmly, but it's too deep, so the mount can move a little... Very annoying. The Kipon adapter looks more solid, but if I am to buy one, I will confirm with them that the lens doesn't move it their adapter, first.

Last edited by Michelek; 03-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Few pictures with my tiny Pentax Auto 110 24mm f/2.8 and 5N

Car Wash At Night -- b&w filter +1 sharpness in 5N, slight pp in LR3 on tone curve

Panning Paramedic At Night Scene -- b&w filter +1 sharpness in 5N, no pp

Butterfly Garden Wall -- b&w conversion in LR3

Hiking Scene -- b&w filter + 1 sharpness in 5N, slight toning in PP

Hiking Scene -- With Miniature Auto Filter, no PP

Due to the absence of iris diaphragm, the auto 110 lenses are shot wide open in f/2.8 and I am quite proud of this little lens. I have two copies of the 24mm and one of them is in Marketplace along with 70mm.

And my zoom in 20-40mm and 1.7x TC are going abroad to Michel in Poland and Chris in New Zealand. The vignette don't happen but they do sometime with odd results especially in portrait orientation for me.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-08-2012 at 10:42 PM.