Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
E-M5 and huge dynamic range?

I am somewhat dubious, but this is the first "serious" test I have seen done with the E-M5 files.

Olympus OM-D review: Noise and dynamic range | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Digital slrs/hybrids

If this is anywhere near true, it is highly unlikely that the Olympus is using the G3 sensor. But as much as I WANT to believe the results, I really think it is unlikely that they would make such a huge leap in DR that it even surpasses the NEX-7.

Thoughts?

04-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I dont know. I guess it just depends on the situation. See:

Olympus OM-D labs data impresses | News | TechRadar

"We have conducted our labs test for the Olympus OM-D, which show that it is capable of beating its biggest rivals including the Sony NEX-7 and Fujifilm X-Pro 1 in certain situations."

Having used MFT two two years with the Oly 12 and 45 + Panasonic 20, 24, and 45, I would have to use it to believe it. That said I primarily shoot outdoors. I recommend MFT cameras to people all the time. I still have my MFT lenses. I may buy the OM-D at some point next year. Under the right conditions they are very good.

I would guess this is probably about what you will get (see below it has a comparison with the NEX 7, which I have used with the 24mm). It will be very good up to ISO 800 which is better than current MFT and is pretty good considering the size of the sensor. If you don't mind doing work in the computer it will you could probably make that ISO 1600. To me it looks like a really great camera. I'm not totally enamored with the DSLR look but that's really irrelevant. If it works good it could be a pink box for all I care. I always liked the Olympus cameras better than the Panasonics because the JPEG's were really good. I do think the Panasonic's had the better sensors. Now maybe not.

Google Translate

Last edited by stanleyk; 04-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.
04-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Can't be. MFT sensors are horrid.
04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I dont know. I guess it just depends on the situation. See:

Olympus OM-D labs data impresses | News | TechRadar

"We have conducted our labs test for the Olympus OM-D, which show that it is capable of beating its biggest rivals including the Sony NEX-7 and Fujifilm X-Pro 1 in certain situations."
True, but dynamic range is not a subjective measurement and if their results are correct this sensor actually has higher dynamic range than the NEX cameras which would mean an enormous improvement over previous 4/3 sensor cameras.

As I said, I hope it is true, but I am waiting for other testers to confirm it.

04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Can't be. MFT sensors are horrid.
Love it!

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 04-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.
04-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Love it!

Regards,
D
I don't know what they mean by "in certain situations." I'm not much on tests and chart shots. I have to see the camera perform in a situation I would use it in. I have a friend who has the OM-D on pre-order. If I like it, I will get one eventually. I have some good MFT lenses. I do wish Olympus would make something between the 12 and the 45 besides the current 17mm. I'll probably get it next year. Looks like an incredible camera.
04-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I don't know what they mean by "in certain situations." I'm not much on tests and chart shots. I have to see the camera perform in a situation I would use it in. I have a friend who has the OM-D on pre-order. If I like it, I will get one eventually. I have some good MFT lenses. I do wish Olympus would make something between the 12 and the 45 besides the current 17mm. I'll probably get it next year. Looks like an incredible camera.
I'm with you, no test charts for me, but I guess it is the only way to actually "measure" something, so I'll let the others do their thing with those measurements... I either like what I see or I don't.

I love the E-P1 dearly, I know what it can and can't deliver, and I use it to what I know it can do. And honestly, neither DSLR has been coming out much lately, E-P1 gets the most use...

I do have E-M5 on pre-order, I sound like THE compact camera that will have everything I personally want/need in a compact, particularly built in EVF and good AF. I have Oly 17mm and 45mm, like them both for their own reasons, but I agree 100%, I wish there was something in line of Panasonics's 20mm f1.7 and a compact 25mm f1.4 or even f1.7/f1.8

Certainly looking forward to have my hands on that E-M5!

Regards,
D

04-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the E-620 has excellent DR, it is certainly possible.
They didn't include the NEX-5n - which would have been an interesting.
The detail "fog" I get from u4/3 compared to aps-c is still a gap for me.
04-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's odd to me is that their RAW comparison seems to vary from DXO Mark's test results. Sony Nex 7 on DXO Mark has DR of 13.4, but on their test, they show more like 12.9. Fuji Pro 1 should have DR of close to 14 (assuming it is using the same sensor as is in the D7000/K5, just with a different color filter), while their test shows it to be in the 12-ish range. I just don't buy these test results. The DR may be great, but I am waiting for DXO Mark to really compare.
04-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Exactly, there are many pretenders, but I don't trust any of these technical results unless they are from dxo.
04-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They were actually using the DxO-supplied hardware and software for the testing. The current speculation on DPR is that they use a non-linear raw format ala NEX-7 which would throw the results off.
04-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

I am not sure how the DxO software reads raws... I would have thought it would take a while before there is support just like with Adobe Camera Raw? If they had to use the bundled Olympus software to convert to tiff, then it could be seriously flawed because the Oly software matches in camera JPEG processing in things like NR, where an "off" turns off most, but not all of the noise reduction.

I suspect that the test is somehow flawed and, based on some of the forum talk, the E-M5 will perform somewhat like a GH2 at low ISO and a GX1 at high. That would be pretty good given the compact size and the existing range of small and very good prime lenses. I am passing on it, though, because the size for me pushes the E-M5 a bit too close to the APS-C competition. I ended up using my E-M5 preorder money to grab a K-01 instead... I didn't use the EVF and the overall size with the 24mm equiv. prime lenses was roughly the same size (a bit thicker in places for the K-01 and it is a few ounces heavier).

I am looking forward to the PEN line refresh based on the new sensor.
04-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Given the E-620 has excellent DR, it is certainly possible.
DPR discusses at length the manipulation that is applied to the E620 files. If you want to compare Olympus jpeg numbers with Pentax, you have to use Pentax highlight and shadow correction. Check DXOMark for the real (raw) story on the E620. DR is 10.3 Ev, which is 0.8 Ev lower than the K20D and 4 Ev lower than the K-5.

There's no way the E-M5 will compete with the Sony 16 or 24mp sensors on DR, colour sensitivity or ISO noise. It will measure very close to the Panasonic GX1, which uses the same sensor (10.3 Ev, still 1/2 Ev short of the K20D and 3.5 Ev short of the K-5). It's absurd the number of people who think that 4/3 has caught up to APS-C. They are still two generations behind, and will be forever.
04-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
DPR discusses at length the manipulation that is applied to the E620 files. If you want to compare Olympus jpeg numbers with Pentax, you have to use Pentax highlight and shadow correction. Check DXOMark for the real (raw) story on the E620. DR is 10.3 Ev, which is 0.8 Ev lower than the K20D and 4 Ev lower than the K-5.

There's no way the E-M5 will compete with the Sony 16 or 24mp sensors on DR, colour sensitivity or ISO noise. It will measure very close to the Panasonic GX1, which uses the same sensor (10.3 Ev, still 1/2 Ev short of the K20D and 3.5 Ev short of the K-5). It's absurd the number of people who think that 4/3 has caught up to APS-C. They are still two generations behind, and will be forever.
I don't know that they will be behind forever. Dynamic range in particular doesn't seem to be based on sensor size. The K5 at lowest iso seems to match or exceed dynamic range with sensors a whole lot bigger (D4, 645D). Put the same technology in a four thirds sensor and it will be prety good.

At the same time, comparing jpeg results is a waste of time and I am afraid that that is what most sites (DP Review included) end up doing most of the time.
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that they will be behind forever. Dynamic range in particular doesn't seem to be based on sensor size.
The best of 4/3 still has not reached K20D level. I believe the highest overall score is the GH2 at 60, K20D at 65. I call that two generations behind, but it may be three (K-x sensor). Any leap forward made by one format will be addressed in the next iteration of the other formats, for example the D800 uses technology pioneered in the D7000. FF will always beat APS-C, APS-C will always beat 4/3. The new E-M5 is nothing special compared to the best of APS-C.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.