Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-Mount Adapter Picture for NX10

Following image is the K-Mount Adapter for NX10 from Samsung.
I couldn't hear about details of the adapter, but I noticed that it has a latch to control the aperture of K-mount lenses - you should find it in the picture.

01-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
emr

Thanks. Can anyone say from that picture whether there's any chance of AF?
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Thanks. Can anyone say from that picture whether there's any chance of AF?
Sorry, no chance. AF will not be supported.
01-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
juu
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting, RedFox!

Glad to see this appearing already and not in a year or so.

So no AF even with SDM lenses?

01-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedFox Quote
Following image is the K-Mount Adapter for NX10 from Samsung.
I couldn't hear about details of the adapter, but I noticed that it has a latch to control the aperture of K-mount lenses - you should find it in the picture.
Well they left a gaping hole for the screw drive and I see no "power" contacts where they should be. Personally that's just stupid. I can see no af w/ screw drives (no motor in body) but a simple electrical connection? They need one for their lenses after all.
I was expecting them to at least do that...
01-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #6

That's a shame that AF won't work. I want to get a smaller camera to complement the K20D, and was hopeful the NX-10 would fit the bill. Since I operate in AF 99% of the time, this adapter isn't really what I need. Shame, because if AF worked even if just for SDM lenses, I likely would have bought one.
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Damn Brit

NX10 is not a DSLR, moved to Off Brand forum.

01-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jakerome Quote
That's a shame that AF won't work. I want to get a smaller camera to complement the K20D, and was hopeful the NX-10 would fit the bill. Since I operate in AF 99% of the time, this adapter isn't really what I need. Shame, because if AF worked even if just for SDM lenses, I likely would have bought one.
Once you put a K-mount adapter onto the NX-10, it is almost the identical size to the K-x. The K-x is just as wide, just as deep (with adapter), and only 5mm taller.
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Once you put a K-mount adapter onto the NX-10, it is almost the identical size to the K-x. The K-x is just as wide, just as deep (with adapter), and only 5mm taller.
Yeah, I don't know why people just don't get a K-x -- looks like a really great performer for its size and price. Not for me, but I can appreciate what they've packed into a compact body like that.
01-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Can anyone say from that picture whether there's any chance of AF?
Yes, there is. I don't agree with previous comments.

The locations for electrical mount contacts (not SDM) and the AF screw are holes.

I.e., the picture shows an incomplete adapter, probably a prototype.

Leaving a hole in the prototype where the AF screw is located makes no sense if the final product doesn't support AF. Missing AF should mean a blank metal ring. To me, it looks like a prototype of a crippled KAF2 mount adapter.

Also, I learn from early comments that the Samsung lenses are not ultra sonic. They may well be screw drive. And if this is so, screw drive AF may be as esay as an 1:1 coupling.

However, I agree that there seems to be no SDM support. As for screw drive support, I remain undecided.
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #11

Totally agree with Falk. This seems a prototype.

I can't find a reason to leave holes if you don't intend to put something there.

But if this is a prototype they still have time to remove the holes.
01-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wounder how the Samsung DSLR users would react if the NX10 cannot use their k mount lenses.

I am expecting the adaptor to work 100% with SDM, screwdrive, and aperture.

Otherwise would Samsung not threaten to loose their existing DSLR users?
01-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Otherwise would Samsung not threaten to loose their existing DSLR users?
Are there any?
01-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Are there any?
Samsung was about 1/5 of marketshare of Pentax. At the times of K10D and GX10.
01-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #15
juu
Veteran Member

On Flickr Samsung has ~50 daily DSLR users, while Pentax has ~1600 daily DSLR users. Of course Flickr data isn't really the same as market share.

But what I tried to say is that perhaps there just aren't enough of them for Samsung to be concerned in case there are significant technical issues concerning AF on the k-mount adapter.