Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

K-x Portrait Lens...70mm f2.4?

Hi,
K-x is my 1st DSLR and I have been using the kit lens for a year now.
I want to get a portrait lens now cuz I want sharp pictures...
I have tried 70mm f2.4 and I think everything is awesome except for the price...
Any recommendation for some similar quality portrait lens? I'm totally fine with 3rd party brands as long as they are cheaper...
Thanks a lot!

04-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a good alternative, which is 1.5 stops faster, and half the price, but manual focus:

SLY85P Bower 85mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Lens for Pentax K Cameras, with Hood & Case

..the Bower 85mm F1.4. We'll actually be posting an in-depth review of it soon, but found it to be very sharp overall.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendation
The price is pretty attractive, but ideally I would like to get an Auto Focus cuz I will probably use it for moving objects too so manual may be a bit hard...
Is it a lot more expensive if it's AF?
Sorry I'm a newbie so I have no idea about lens' price range and stuff...
Thanks a lot!
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's the next best option, albeit it's a bit shorter: Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens 20817 B&H Photo If you want an AF lens 70mm or longer, you're probably not going to find anything for less than $500. Feel free to browse our lens databases for a complete listing of lenses:

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Another good option is the Sigma 85mm F1.4, but it's $969 (even more than the 70!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I used to wonder why the 85mm focal length was such a sought after focal length for portraiture. I answered my own question yesterday, with a comparative portrait shoot between my DA 70 and my 85. The 85 gives the classic portrait look, more so than the 70. With the crop sensor, a 85 makes a great head shot portrait lens.
04-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's the other thread with the same question.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140069-would-d...rait-lens.html
04-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, I too bought the DA70 thinking it would make a great portrait lens. Unfortunately, it makes my subjects reach for skin creams. LOL.

04-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by love_myenla Quote
I have tried 70mm f2.4 and I think everything is awesome except for the price... Any recommendation for some similar quality portrait lens? I'm totally fine with 3rd party brands as long as they are cheaper...
Try the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens. It feels plasticky and can be noisy when focusing at times. It is supposed to be a favorite of wedding photographers.
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I used to wonder why the 85mm focal length was such a sought after focal length for portraiture. I answered my own question yesterday, with a comparative portrait shoot between my DA 70 and my 85. The 85 gives the classic portrait look, more so than the 70. With the crop sensor, a 85 makes a great head shot portrait lens.
At 85mm, the only problem is cost. I am pretty happy with my Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9, but at today's prices, I would never buy it.
04-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, at todays prices for the 85 Taks, the Samyang/Bower/Opteka 85/1.4 is a much better alternative.
04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

Perhaps a Sigma 70 Macro? If I recall, used it should cost less than a used DA70.
It would be somewhat big since it's macro (DA70 is almost pancake, especially with the hood off), but you won't have to worry about sharpness at all. Plus you get a macro lens (DA70 focuses to .7m).
04-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
They are a bit more work, but the Jupiter 9 might be considered.
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The da70 is worth it, in fact it's a bargain
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the recommendation!
I just looked up the review for Pentax DA 40 mm - F/2.8, it seems to have very positive feedback too but do you guys think it will make a good portrait lens?
Thanks!
04-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by love_myenla Quote
Thanks for all the recommendation!
I just looked up the review for Pentax DA 40 mm - F/2.8, it seems to have very positive feedback too but do you guys think it will make a good portrait lens?
Thanks!
Having just asked the same question on the 70 just the other day and after going the same route to the 40 in research, I think it depends on what you mean by a portrait. If you mean head and shoulders I think someone recommended an 85. This is also corroborated by the Canon forums folks (where I read sometimes), and even on the Nikon forums. Folks here like the DA 70 and the FA 77 as well. I think 40 will work but you have to foot zoom to get close enough if you want what the 85 gives.

All of them take good pictures as long as you do but you have to decide what look you're trying to achieve. The zooms are also nice but I am way too scare of the dreaded SDM to try them. You may find you need more than one prime without a zoom.

I would not go manual based on your post here. But, they are cheap and if you have time to compose and get everyone to hold still, they can work. I am forced to use the manual ones at the moment. I may get in trouble saying it but stay autofocus if you can.