Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please Help with AF500FTZ TTL flash

Hello, Can someone help me with my new flash? I am new to the dslr and recenctly bought a pentax K-X, since then I bought a Pentax AF500 FTZ ttl flash. It seems that every picture I take with the flash it is way overexposed.Am I doing something wrong with the setting or is this flash not compatible with my body?

03-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by highhog1 Quote
Hello, Can someone help me with my new flash? I am new to the dslr and recenctly bought a pentax K-X, since then I bought a Pentax AF500 FTZ ttl flash. It seems that every picture I take with the flash it is way overexposed.Am I doing something wrong with the setting or is this flash not compatible with my body?
Sorry to tell you this, but I had to sell my AF 500 FTZ and buy an AF 540 FGZ because the 500 won't work on any DSLR from the k10d up. Sigh.
03-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

CR I also sold my AF500 for the same reason. The flash fired at full power all the time. It is a TTL flash and not P-TTL. You might have some control in manual mode on the camera but it's guessing on the correct exposures.
07-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I am using one on my new K-7 and it is working well with any mode on the camera. The only two problems that I see are: in trailing mode it is firing max. Power, but I can use it in manual mode, and the red eyes reduce is not working.

07-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Leon, that's not possible. It may fire and the head may zoom but this is a TTL flash and the camera is only P-TTL. So it's not possible for this flash to correctly expose a scene without guessing exposures, shooting in manual etc. With a lot of practice, you can do it, but this flash isn't for most DSLR users unless they own a *istD
07-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I will post a few photos i made with it later in a diferent modes.
I can see that k-7 is working with the unit and changing the setings. it is not firing a pre-flash like PTTL but it is fire nice light in diferent lighting conditions.
07-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have occasionally seen the display on my AF540FGZ go to TTL mode on the K7.

I never thought much about it, but it might be worth a try with my AF500FTZ.

As I still use my *istD the AF500 is a handy thing to have

01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #8

Can Leon and Lowell share more details on using AF500FTZ with K7? I am about to buy AF500 for 91 USD only if K7 can get more (TTL, zoom sync, etc) out of AF500 than K10, K20.
01-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dAIA Quote
I am about to buy AF500 for 91 USD only if K7 can get more (TTL, zoom sync, etc) out of AF500 than K10, K20.
You will have the same problem with the K7.

In terms of flash compatibility, there have been no changes since K10D.
01-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dAIA Quote
Can Leon and Lowell share more details on using AF500FTZ with K7? I am about to buy AF500 for 91 USD only if K7 can get more (TTL, zoom sync, etc) out of AF500 than K10, K20.
You should get the AF540FGZ if you are using the K7. I have not had time to play with the AF500FTZ and the K7 but unless there is an undocumented feature in the K7 it should not work, but will only expose at full power or in manual mode, as it does on my K10D.

The reason I keep the AF500FTZ is to use with my *istD which DOES support TTL and P-TTL flash. It is a great flash to use with my K300F4 and other Manual aperture lenses. It also has a shorter flash duration than the AF540FGZ because it was designed around the PZ-1 which had a 1/250 flash sync, and a shorter dwell period for full open shutter.
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF500FTZ is also useful for a lot of the Strobist techniques. It can work as an optical slave, has adjustable power, etc. I might buy one at $50 for that; $91 is a little high for a secondary use.
01-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You will have the same problem with the K7.

In terms of flash compatibility, there have been no changes since K10D.
This is correct.

Perhaps, to settle this, take a look at your lightbox with the mirror up. I've attached a pic of my DS lightbox -- for reference, the mirror is to the left of the frame, and the sensor is at the bottom. This is the TTL sensor -- The sensor looks like a small incandescent flashlight bulb with that dripping water thick lens, facing towards the sensor. If your camera doesn't have one, TTL cannot work -- end of story. This is a matter of hardware -- not a dumbing down in firmware support.

Scott
01-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

Thank you all for the advices and Snostorm’s picture. I looked into my K7 light box with the mirror up. There is some sort of light sensor at the bottom. But, there is no TTL sensor as described by Snostorm either to the left or right side of light box.
I will now save money to buy AF540FGZ.
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Inactive Account

You can use the 500 with your K7. Actually you can use just about ANY flash with the K7. However, you will not be doing so with TTL. The K7 doesn't support it (this pissed off MANY K10d buyers back in the day). You will be using either A or M modes. To use A mode, you set your flash for the aperture and ISO you want to use and fire away. The Flash will measure proper exposure for your shot but the camera will only be Triggering the flash. To use it in M mode, you set the output power. This will be a 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc setting. Many say, and I agree, that sometimes this way of doing things is superior to P-TTL.

01-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You can use the 500 with your K7. Actually you can use just about ANY flash with the K7. However, you will not be doing so with TTL. The K7 doesn't support it (this pissed off MANY K10d buyers back in the day). You will be using either A or M modes. To use A mode, you set your flash for the aperture and ISO you want to use and fire away. The Flash will measure proper exposure for your shot but the camera will only be Triggering the flash. To use it in M mode, you set the output power. This will be a 1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc setting. Many say, and I agree, that sometimes this way of doing things is superior to P-TTL.

Note the AF500FTZ does not support auto, only TTL and Manual