Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Magnifying Eyecup 0-ME53

I received my magnifying eyepiece today from B&H for $40 incl S&H.

The brochure says that it magnifies 1.18X and weighs a whopping 0.4 ounce.

Question- Does a magnifier device reduce the brightness of the image as seen the viewfinder? I have read elsewhere the usual yes/no and point/counterpoint. This more an academic question than anything......I'm satisfied with the item.

To me it appears not, but maybe the brightness loss is there, but negligible. I can't tell (as of yet).

The larger image thru the viewfinder is certainly a quite nice enhancement to the camera, and I'm glad that I made the purchase.

Thanks to all......

Lucky Sky

01-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, except I have the Nikkon one I used on my K100 with No reduction of brightness.
I have a request if possible....could you post a pic of the camera with the eyepiece on it.
Cheers.
01-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Scott-

I certainly will post a pic tomorrow as requested........I'll fire up my little Canon A610.

I had better ask right now.......how do I embed an image into a message on this forum?

Lucky Sky
01-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Hi,
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, except I have the Nikkon one I used on my K100 with No reduction of brightness.
I have a request if possible....could you post a pic of the camera with the eyepiece on it.
Cheers.
woah, and which one are you using? I'm trying to get one but I'm not sure if 1.18x magnification is enough of a difference...

01-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Lucky, thanks.
Here's how you can post a pic here.
"Put [IMG] before the link to the pic on a web site and [/IMG] after the link.
Example "[img]www.photosareus.net/mine/me.jpg[img]"
Don't include the inverted comers.

Cheers.
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,
I bought the Nikon DK-21M off ebay. It's 1.17x and fits pretty tight but works fine, especially for manual focusing.
Cheers.
02-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Scott- A couple of pics:

Lucky Sky

02-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
This more an academic question than anything......I'm satisfied with the item.
To me it appears not, but maybe the brightness loss is there, but negligible. I can't tell (as of yet).
Academic questions get academic answers: Yes, it reduces the brightness. Thinking about it is is hard to imagine anything (a "picture" built by rays of light) getting bigger without getting dimmer. With this level of magnification you'll probably not noticing unless you check for it very hard.

I have two other questions: Is it easy to see all info around the viewfinder? Is the glass (plastic?) coated? I'm asking as the Nikon counterpart I'm using now for my DS isn't coated and sometimes that makes a difference.

thank you,

Last edited by Jonas B; 02-01-2007 at 06:54 AM. Reason: forgot the nikon thing
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Are you using eyeglasses when you shoot or naked eye? I read somewhere that the magnifier is not useful if you wear glasses.

Walt
02-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jonas & Walt-
1) I cannot see any difference in brightness as you stated.
2) There is some slight vignetting around the corners as the brochure warns about. The viewfinder information area is not affected.
3) Unable to determine if the piece is glass or coated, but this may help: when I look at it under my tungsten desk light, the reflection of the lightbulb has a very distinct green color to it.
4) I don't wear glasses except for reading. With my reading glasses on (magnifying lenses), the vignetting effect is much more pronounced.

Lucky Sky
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank for the pics Lucky. It looks nicer than my Nikon one.
Cheers.
02-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Hi Dave,
I bought the Nikon DK-21M off ebay. It's 1.17x and fits pretty tight but works fine, especially for manual focusing.
Cheers.
well sir, I just ordered the nikon piece........
02-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #13

I see a big upside to that - not smearing the LCD preview screen

I was out shooting yesterday and the angle of the sun was killing me. I was shifting around mashing my face against the camera to avoid a stray ray squeezing in between me and the camera, holding one hand up and cursing. Then checking the preview screen after to see if what I thought I was getting was what it was, but each time having to stop and clean the screen. Seems worth it if it helps avoid that grief again.
02-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote

I have two other questions: Is it easy to see all info around the viewfinder? Is the glass (plastic?) coated? I'm asking as the Nikon counterpart I'm using now for my DS isn't coated and sometimes that makes a difference.

thank you,
Bumping my own questions...
02-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jonas B-

This was my reply yesterday to you & Walt-

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jonas & Walt-
1) I cannot see any difference in brightness as you stated.
2) There is some slight vignetting around the corners as the brochure warns about. The viewfinder information area is not affected.
3) Unable to determine if the piece is glass or coated, but this may help: when I look at it under my tungsten desk light, the reflection of the lightbulb has a very distinct green color to it.
4) I don't wear glasses except for reading. With my reading glasses on (magnifying lenses), the vignetting effect is much more pronounced