Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FocusingScreen.dot : feedback from a K10D user

Apparently in the forum only Katzeye or some unknown Chinese products have been tried out.

On the advice of French website lense.fr (including a full article on the installation on an Olympus) I ordered mine from the tawainese website : focusingscreen.com
- Prices are about the same as from Katzeye,
- Choice is much broader,
- Shipping costs are about the same for an European.

So about the package in itself :

It is very cleanly packed, it took me very long to get the package because the postman failed to put a paper in my mailbox, but according to the tracking site, it took less than one week to go from Taiwain to France.

At first I thought "WTF !! This is a Nikon focusing screen !" But look closely. Yes, there is a little sticker where it's manually written "K10D", that's mine.

The package itself is very, complete, beside the focusing screen you have, "finger condoms", 2 tweezers, one to liberate the screen from the body (the metallic one), and one to hold the screen (the black plastic one, see below), and 2 little plastic stickers to adjust focus.

It is very easy to handle the focus screen with the tweezers.

I didn't make pictures of me installing the focusing screen, but there is a very clean tuto on their site.

Mine is this one.

I'm very happy at the moment with it, I tried with 70mm DA, and it worked well in both autofocus and manual focus. Since it's my first SLR / Focus Screen, I can't tell if it's supposed to work better, but definitively, I'll order some for my future upgrades.

And to finish, a quick and dirty test :

with a Vivitar 135 / 2.8 @ 2.8 handheld, distance about 3m.

07-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing this! I am currently considering to buy one too..
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Interesting read!

Is the new screen dimmer or brighter than the original? Did you notice any difference in metering?
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too would be interested in the micro prism version if I knew more about the spot metering performance of the K10D with this installed, and the metering with manual lenses.

ANy chance you can do a test with a fast K mount lens, (F1.4 to F2) and shoot a plain grey subject at each F stop while metering with the green button.

07-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I saw that my 50mm/1.7 M is having a little fungus some weeks ago. Currently it lays unmounted in a bag, waiting for me to finish clean it up.

The fastest lens I have at the moment is the DA 70mm/2.4.

I will try it tonight.
07-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It seems that these screens are being cut out of various existing ones (canon, nikon, minolta). Something like those on ebay. I wonder if their thickness is right.
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
It seems that these screens are being cut out of various existing ones (canon, nikon, minolta). Something like those on ebay. I wonder if their thickness is right.
Yes, they are re-manufactured from standard screens from other makes.

Katz Eye have their own "Plus" prism technology and Optibrite treatment which provides superior results according to those who have used both types.

In addition, Katz Eye will make customised screens as well.

If I was to buy a different screen, I would only buy from Pentax or Katz Eye, a re-manufactured screen is pushing your luck in my opinion.

08-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

HI ghelary

how is the screen, im looking to get one ??

Paul
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

The screen works great, I took the microprism with rule of third model.

At the moment, I took about 100 picture with it and didn't have any focusing issue with it either in autofocus or in manual mode. Auto setings are working correctly as far as I can tell (green button), anyway I shoot 99% of my picture in full manual mode.