Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DSLR belt holsters

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have any actual experience with Brando's Camera holster? I can't find any reviews: Gadget.brando.com

I'm trying to decide between that and Adorama's B-Grip: BGRIP Adorama B-Grip, Easy Access Belt Mounted Holder for Cameras and Camcorders

The B- grip looks superior but I wont use it that much and I'm trying to pinch pennies wherever I can, that 33 dollar difference is huge to me and I'd rather get the Brando if it will do the job adequately.

Are there any alternatives to either? (maybe a middle ground in price, definitely nothing more expensive like the Spider)

I've searched to no end and only stumbled upon these two by coincidence and not through searching. All searches came up with dslr holster bags, which I already have one of.

Last edited by future_retro; 07-07-2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: added context
07-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Digital Imaging Accessory Review: Cotton Carrier Camera Systems

Spider Camera Holster review: stick 'em up -- Engadget

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.
07-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oops I forgot to mention that with alternative I wasn't looking for anything more expensive, I was actually going to specifically say I didn't want to buy the spider too but it slipped my mind. My bad, I edited the original post to bar any more confusion, thanks for the suggestions though
07-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I've seen the Brando and Cotton Carrier but not the Adorama Bgrip and Spider Holster. Thanks for the info! I'm interested too but can not really decide yet.

Spider Holster seems to be the best of the bunch but it is also the most expensive. Adorama Bgrip seems like a good compromise of price and quality but while it's only 49.5 USD the cheapest Adorama shipping option to Korea is 50USD!

The Brando holster, it's cheap but it doesn't look as firmed as the others. I don't think I'd use it with big lens, maybe only with K20D without grip + small prime.
The Adorama grip has extension plate that will stabilize long lens, Brando holster does not. Actually I was thinking to buy this. But, it doesn't have strap and this leaves me a little worried. I'm a clumsy kind of guy

So for now I'm using R-strap (well the erm local version). It's pretty similar in that it lets your camera dangling in your side. But the camera's still strapped to your body, unlike these holster. The drawback is, you still get the weight to your shoulder instead of your hip. I usually use R-strap to one body and another body with just normal neck strap. Right now I'm finding alternatives to distribute some of the weight from my shoulders to hip so this holster thing is pretty interesting to me.

07-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Think Tank modular belt system & components, also skin belt & components. Rather expensive but with removable shoulder strap and the possibility to add extra bags to the belt, incl. water bottle carrier. As it is difficult for me to carry large loads on shoulders/neck, I prefere to transfer weight to the hips. And as I often am on my way for the day, it is nice to be able to carry extra stuff in a seperate added bag.
07-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

HOLDSLR HoldSLR Fast Collapsible SLR Camera Carrier, for Chest Strap or Belt Use

DIY: Quickdraw camera holster? - Photo.net Digital Cameras Forum

Lee Valley Tools

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-07-2010 at 12:11 PM.
07-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #7

QuoteQuote:
Think Tank modular belt system & components, also skin belt & components. Rather expensive but with removable shoulder strap and the possibility to add extra bags to the belt, incl. water bottle carrier. As it is difficult for me to carry large loads on shoulders/neck, I prefere to transfer weight to the hips. And as I often am on my way for the day, it is nice to be able to carry extra stuff in a seperate added bag.
I've always like Think Tank but they're still too expensive for me. I agree it's better to transfer some weights to the hips.

Nice findings! Thank you again

Anyway, here's my contribution. While looking for B-grip with cheaper shipping to Korea, I found a slightly cheaper Brando's Camera holster in ebay . Free shipping too so it's even better for me.

I'm thinking I will buy this, but I will use it together with my R-strap. So, I get the weight transferred to hip instead of shoulder, and still get the safety of camera strap. Not so sure about comfortability or how practical this setup is but for 11 USD I think it's worth a try.

07-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Please get back to us and let us know how it works out.
The Adorama type looks good though but the eBay one is really tempting since it is so affordable.
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank's for any suggestions, it seems like the B-Grip might be the best choice since I live in the states.

Now I just have to see if I really need it.
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Please get back to us and let us know how it works out.
The Adorama type looks good though but the eBay one is really tempting since it is so affordable.
Sure! I just bought it. Should arrive in a week or less.
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I missed that the first time around, thanks for the find! I just ordered that and will share some of my impressions once I receive it.

Even though it was only 6 or 7 dollars cheaper than the Brando, when dealing in prices under 20 bucks, 6 or 7 is a pretty significant amount. You just saved me enough money to get one of those toy wide angle converters!

Honestly thank you for finding that.

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
I've always like Think Tank but they're still too expensive for me. I agree it's better to transfer some weights to the hips.

Nice findings! Thank you again

Anyway, here's my contribution. While looking for B-grip with cheaper shipping to Korea, I found a slightly cheaper Brando's Camera holster in ebay . Free shipping too so it's even better for me.

I'm thinking I will buy this, but I will use it together with my R-strap. So, I get the weight transferred to hip instead of shoulder, and still get the safety of camera strap. Not so sure about comfortability or how practical this setup is but for 11 USD I think it's worth a try.
07-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #12

Glad I can help
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #13

a little review of ebay cheap belt holster

I finally got some time to do this review. I got to say I'm not overly impressed with this belt holster. But it does the job and it's quite firm.

The base is bigger (wider) than I thought, here you can see the size compare to a K20D.

This is the plate that you screw to the K20D tripod mount. As you can see there's some scratch already as a result of my first try of mounting the plate to my K20D It's because the plate top surface is not covered with high friction rubber just like all good tripod plates, it's just shiny smooth slippery plastic. K20D plastic is apparently stronger so it didnt get scratched at all. Still, I need to find way to somehow add friction to this surface. Until then I don't think I'll really use this holster.

You have to align the plate in vertical position so it looks like in the picture below (Note the round end must face toward front of camera). Unfortunately it's not easy because of the low friction of the base which touch K20D body. I managed to tighten it at the first time, but then it's very hard to remove it. So this time when I took these picts I didn't really tighten it.

This is how the K20D with DA 12-24 hanging on the holster. Since I didn't really tighten the plate to K20D, in this picture you can see that the heavy 12-24 is pulled by the gravity and caused the K20D to rotate a bit. If you completely tighten the plate this should not happen.

When my K20D hanging on the holster it's actually quite firm. In fact, I could not take the camera off with one hand like in the advertised pictures, I need another hand to hold the base while I pull the camera. Took a couple seconds the first time but it's getting easier after. Still, I'm not going to win a duel using this holster

I've said that I plan to use the belt holster together with my R-strap. I just realized a flaw in this plan. You see, both the belt holster and R-strap have their own plate but only one of them can be attached to the camera tripod mount My work around is to attach R-strap to the neckstrap lug instead, with a help of extra ring. Also, it seems natural to use hand grip together with this holster, especially when R-strap isn't used. But hand grip also requires special plate with a lug / hole where you loop the hand grip string / strap, and unlike R-strap plate this belt holster plate can't do that.

This is how the camera hanging with R-strap instead of the holster. It doesn't look very safe honestly. But it's just an extra precaution in case my hand slip. So most of the time the camera will be attached to the belt holster instead. I won't use this setup with my 80-200 lens though (normally without the holster I also don't use R-strap with my 80-200)

So, in conclusion. It works and it's cheap. But it's not fast and a little awkward to pull. And the tightening is worrying (at least for me). Also, it would be nice if it can work together with a hand grip.

Last edited by sajah; 07-28-2010 at 08:28 AM.
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great review. I received mine a few days ago too and wasn't that impressed either. However I am glad I got it because it showed me how impractical a dslr belt holster is. Even with just a Kx and kit lens it was terribly uncomfortable having it around the hip, it doesn't matter which belt holster you use it's still going to be a lead weight throwing your waist off balance.

I'm currently trying to sell it for half price on craigslist
07-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
...it doesn't matter which belt holster you use it's still going to be a lead weight throwing your waist off balance...
and your pants on the ground! Pants on the ground!

Couldn't resist