Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Options while kayaking?

I've recently purchased a kayak and I'm salivating with the opportunities for photography available now.

I'm was hoping to be able to use my cotton carrier, but with the need for a skirt and PFD it looks like I'll have to pull it in an out of a dry box when I can use it. And stow it for the rough stuff.

Does anyone have any systems or methods for using their DSLR while kayaking?

Any recommendations for a good dry box?

Thanks,

Ken Knott

09-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Pelican box for my cameras.

Pelican Case 1300 with Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com

The exact model I use is a 1300 box. It will fit a k10 or k20 with one lens like the kit lens and still have room for a 70-300mm lens change. You can customize it with the foam.

I typically keep it under my knees. It's not the most easy system but 1) it floats, and 2) it will protect your system for sure.

I will say too that I've gone to using a OptioW80 water proof camera for kayaking shots. While I love the quality of the dslr images, there just isn't that much exciting stuff to take photos of and a P&S camera all the quality I need. I still do take the dslr but just not as often.
09-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Kayak did you get, and how rough is the water you plan to go into?

I have a recreational kayak, (actually 2) and only use it with open cockpit. No skirt.

I keep the camera in a drybag between my legs (I am thinking of getting a netting to span the sides of the cockpit just to keep the drybag off the floor of the boat, but have not done it yet.

I take the camera in and out of the drybag for shooting, in calm water, and close the bag after opening it to remove what ever I want. I learned that if you do not close the drybag, it is equally capable of holding water in as keeping it out. One time, when I had a wave come over the side, it partially filled the drybac, which held my *istD and FA 28-105 F4-5.6, The camera went into an auto shoot mode, and I had to pull the battery, Fortunately when I got to camp, I was able to leave it in the sun with the covers off for about 4 hours and it dried out. That was in 2004. I still use it today and it works perfectly, but I consider myself lucky, I think water entered only through the on/off switch and shutter release.

If you are only transporting from point to point, a hard case like a pellican is a good idea, but a sea kayak may not have access ports big enough to accomodate it.

For shooting on the go, a drybag between your feet is best.
09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use an Old Town Otter with an open cockpit when I'm shooting with my camera. I have the camera strap around my neck and the camera sits on my lap. I get a drip or some splash on the camera on occasion but have had no problems in 3 years of shooting with the K10D. I have a short telescoping monopod to stabilize the camera when I'm using a long lens which is almost fully compacted when I'm in the boat. I have extra stuff in a dry bag with plenty of room for the camera if things get rough or the weather goes south. This is a flat water set up. I haven't capsized to test the dry bag but I have been caught in a couple of heavy downpours and my gear has stayed dry. For white water or ocean, a waterproof housing would be the best option or an Optio WR. For a PFD, I use a Stohlquist paddlers/fishermans vest with just mesh in the lower back area. I find it much more comfortable. It has large vest pockets on the front which will hold a short lens.

09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you plan on taking pictures, while kayaking, your two best bets are an optio w90 or an Aquapac (or equivalent) case with a DSLR.

If you only want to carry your camera, a Pelican case (or equivalent) is a safe bet.
09-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of good advice here, but I'd add one thing: Test any waterproof box or bag you'll be using to protect your gear, BEFORE you carry camera and kit in it. What I do with my dry boxes (an Otterbox for my PAS and a mil surplus ammo can for DSLR/lenses) at the beginning of every season is to close up the boxes snugly, tie a lanyard securely to them, then hold the other end of the lanyard while I toss the boxes into the river at a lively spot near shore. After the boxes wash around in the maelstrom for awhile, I remove them from the river, place them in a dry spot, wipe the outside down to dry the water off, then open the boxes to see if there's any water inside. If you don't have a river handy, submerge the closed box in a 5-gallon bucket of water or other basin, but be prepared to struggle to hold that box under -- trapped air makes them buoyant.

Seals on dryboxes can be deformed and crack with age, and even new ones can be deficient. The same is true of the closures on soft camera bags. More than one friend lost camera gear in a capsize because their cases (hard and soft) didn't work. Best to be sure before you rely on them on the water with valuable gear inside.
09-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
+1 for the Pelican product range, great for hard conditions.

09-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have a old town tripper did part of athabasca with, pelicans, GOOD quality dry bags
way to go. Secure, accesible. tie off (if worse should happen)
Have a skirt(deck) for my canoe, believe it or not, find it pretty much a "pain"
something Ive done last few years, small fleece hand towell in "baggie" in case I have to
grab something quick, can dry hands somewhat.
forgot this... a large sponge, like used for washing car, for bailing water out of hull

Last edited by BillM; 09-02-2010 at 05:06 PM.
09-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #9

My Optio w90 and Necky Spike were made for each other.................

Robin
09-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I use a Pelican box for my cameras.

Pelican Case 1300 with Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com

The exact model I use is a 1300 box. It will fit a k10 or k20 with one lens like the kit lens and still have room for a 70-300mm lens change. You can customize it with the foam.

I typically keep it under my knees. It's not the most easy system but 1) it floats, and 2) it will protect your system for sure.

I will say too that I've gone to using a OptioW80 water proof camera for kayaking shots. While I love the quality of the dslr images, there just isn't that much exciting stuff to take photos of and a P&S camera all the quality I need. I still do take the dslr but just not as often.
I second that one. I have a Pelican 1300 as well, and it's great. It's spacious enough to pack it up with other electronics you may need like your cellphone or car remotes and so forth
09-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not that I go kayaking, but I highly recommend taking a look at HPRC's cases. Excellent build quality, incredibly rugged, and watertight.

Not my video, but an example of their build quality here:

They're available in all manner of sizes; I own their carry-on sized case myself.
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just went hunting with some friends (I "shot" with my K-7+DA*300 as I don't want to actually hunt) and as soon as we got on the water it started raining and then hailing for a good 10 minutes (not to mention trudging through knee deep water). No issues with the camera though (but I did try to shield it in my canvas bag when I could). I did see it as a reason to look for a waterproof case of some type... hehe

So far options mentioned here like a Pelican sound pretty good, but I would like a normal bag or pack I can strap to myself somehow.

Recently found floating bags designed for hunters that would probably work: Drake bag link

It looks like there is enough room in the main compartment for the K-7 with grip and DA*300 with hood which is what I'm looking for (about 13x7x7 inches space needed).

Anyone know of quality back packs (or related) besides those insanely expensive ones from the camera bag manufacturers?
09-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Lots of good advice here, but I'd add one thing: Test any waterproof box or bag you'll be using to protect your gear, BEFORE you carry camera and kit in it. What I do with my dry boxes (an Otterbox for my PAS and a mil surplus ammo can for DSLR/lenses) at the beginning of every season is to close up the boxes snugly, tie a lanyard securely to them, then hold the other end of the lanyard while I toss the boxes into the river at a lively spot near shore. After the boxes wash around in the maelstrom for awhile, I remove them from the river, place them in a dry spot, wipe the outside down to dry the water off, then open the boxes to see if there's any water inside. If you don't have a river handy, submerge the closed box in a 5-gallon bucket of water or other basin, but be prepared to struggle to hold that box under -- trapped air makes them buoyant.

Seals on dryboxes can be deformed and crack with age, and even new ones can be deficient. The same is true of the closures on soft camera bags. More than one friend lost camera gear in a capsize because their cases (hard and soft) didn't work. Best to be sure before you rely on them on the water with valuable gear inside.
A couple of big rocks will sink it easily enough and still allow for the testing
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Anyone know of quality back packs (or related) besides those insanely expensive ones from the camera bag manufacturers?
Not sure if its too related but for what its worth... picked up a oxygen tank pack
at walgreens for $22, Tamron 360 & hood(reversed) or M400/5.6 fits perfect.
still need waterproof container such as dry bags, boxes etc.
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Not sure if its too related but for what its worth... picked up a oxygen tank pack
at walgreens for $22, Tamron 360 & hood(reversed) or M400/5.6 fits perfect.
still need waterproof container such as dry bags, boxes etc.
Interesting idea! Thanks, I'll have to check that out.