Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A counterfeit Kenko CPL ?

I received a 67 mm "Kenko" CPL today. This is from an Ebay seller in HongKong.

I'd suspect this isn't a genuine item as I don't think that Kenko would put the UV-filter description text on the backside of a CPL box as can be seen in the first attachment. The second attachment is a snap of the filter itself: the text and finish in general look dodgy to me for something purported to come from a Japanese optical manufacturer.

I'm especially looking for comments from those with a real Kenko CPL as to whether the pictured item would seem like the genuine item or not. Based on this I might take this up with Ebay. I can post more snaps if that helps. I'm not too upset about this as this was quite cheap (12,99 £ with postage), and I sort of expected to run into something like this eventually. However, I'd like to do something to stop further scamming if this is one as I believe.

Last edited by jolepp; 03-16-2011 at 08:57 AM.
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Entering the UPC into a UPC database or another gives no record find.
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only Kenko filter I have is their top-of-the-line Zeta, which I bought from an American seller on ebay, and which seems completely legit. I did a google image search, and turned up this image which shows a very different (and correct) description on the back of a similar Kenko CPL:

Picasa Web Albums - dora
10-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does appear to be a cheap Chinese knock-off!!

Reading the text (even though it's for a different filter entirely) shows some pretty poor grammar - would not expect that on a "real" product.

10-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
It does appear to be a cheap Chinese knock-off!!

Reading the text (even though it's for a different filter entirely) shows some pretty poor grammar - would not expect that on a "real" product.
I would have expected them to copy the real package as an image, but even if they have put this together with some kind of an editor why not copy the text from the original at least, and maybe, for a decent scam, copy the whole text, not slap the CPL title on top of a UV filter description :-)

The filter rotates and is in fact a polarizer: through it a LCD screen appears black at half turn intervals, so a quality job in that sense, though ;-)
10-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The filter rotates and is in fact a polarizer: through it a LCD screen appears black at half turn intervals, so a quality job in that sense, though ;-)
It will lack optical quality.
I have a genuine Cokin polarizer but even that has it's downsides.
The resolution is decreased, especially at edges. It may cause additional flare and increase CA (enhance green/magenta saturation and separation). It has color disproportional* color cast that changes with filter orientation.
A counterfeit one might be worse. Probably mostly resolution wise.

*Cast is polarization and maybe even color selective - thus hard to correct with WB.

It's sad to hear that you got scammed like that.
10-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It turns out that the filter is not just a polarizer, it is also apparently a circular polarizer as looking an LCD screen trough it from the lens side / outside makes a difference, that is, from the lens side the LCD appears black at 1/2 turn intervals, but this doesn't happen when looking from the outside (color cast changes somewhat, depending on the angle this is rotated, though). As mentioned, from an optical point of view the filter is likely to be junk.

11-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After thinking about it I sent the seller a message trough Ebay stating that I consider the filter to be counterfeit and would like to have my money back (or a genuine filter). I suppose the seller should have the benefit of the doubt, that is, the seller could have been scammed here too.

I don't think I'm going to return the fake, as I think I might be obliged to surrender it to customs, who might then send it to a representative of the manufacturer to determine whether it is fake (/genuine), if this is the case I suppose I've the option of removing any reference to Kenko from it or having them confiscate it for disposal. This is the way it goes when they spot a container full of of "Nikes", might be that they can't be bothered with a single filter, although they have reportedly confiscated single "Rolexes".

Last edited by jolepp; 11-01-2010 at 07:18 AM.
11-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Why not send the pictures to Kenko Japan and see what they say?
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The seller would like the filter back for a refund. I don't think so, for aforementioned reasons, and also because this would mean a cost to me. So I sent the photo of the backside of the box with a short note to Ebay figuring that this is about as much as I can do about it.
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Why not send the pictures to Kenko Japan and see what they say?
I'm sure Kenko would say "Please purchase from an authorized Kenko (Hoya) dealer to avoid this unpleasantness in the future."
05-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

I know this is the old thread, but I do have something to add.

First I have to say that I bought genuine Kenko CPL (Digital) filter, for 67mm threads, two years ago for US$ 25 on ebay and I hadn't any trouble with it. It was indeed, genuine Kenko. Later, I got two more lenses, each had 77mm filter thread. For SMC 300mm I could use a step-down ring (lens was designed for FF sensor) and it was ok, but for Samyang/Rokinon 16mm I couldn't, since it is designed for APS-C sensor and any step-down ring would be noticeable on the image.
So I decided to bought the same filter, but for 77mm threads. I found it for US$ 22 (Shanghai) and got it today.

First thing that was strange was the different (amateur) text writings, lack of holographic Kenko logo, sloppily Kenko logo and words on the filter, different row of words on the filter. It seems that the paper that was on this box was poorly scan from the original or something like that.

When I put filter in front of lcd screen and turn it until I could see nothing but the black screen. I thought that it seems it really is CPL filter. Then, I tested it on Samyang 16mm with and without filter and, later, compared the sharpness, but I couldn't see any difference. I thought that this was good business. Well, that thought was on until I decide to test it with 300mm SMC lens (without filter, with the old filter attached on the step-down ring and, last, with the new bought filter). Then I could see how terrible it is. Awful quality!

I contacted the seller to tell him that this is obviously a fake, but he's telling me that "our filter is made in Philipine by Tokina Ltd, authorized by the Hoya company." He offered me that I can send it back, but, as he said, "please send the economy shipping way, the shipping cost will cost less. we don't accept the unreasonable shipping cost."

Look it for yourself.

Also what I did notice but don't have any experience to compare it with, is that my old Kenko (genuine) filter will make LCD screen black only on the front side. If you turn it on the other side (180 degrees), LCD screen wont be black. On the other hand, this "fake" Kenko blacks the LCD screen from both sides. I really don't know if this is normal.

Edit: Solved

Last edited by malenisjaj; 05-11-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammar