Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That Dolica tripod isn't cheaply made at all!

I've just gotten a Dolica proline tripod, the cheap (40$) one sold at Amazon.

People around here usually say things on the lines of "it's good for a cheap tripod".

Well, I beg to differ on the "for a cheap tripod" part. This tripod is extremely well made, sturdy, well assembled, light and whatnot. I have handled 200$+ tripods and the Dolica is comparable. The head is ok but slightly fragile, but most tripods don'T come with a head.

A friend has an Induro tripod (paid 150$ for it) and guess what : it is the EXACT same tripod. Except the Dolica is better since it has collapsing spikes on the feet, which the Induro lacks. part from that, everything is the same, even the carrying case.

We'll see how time will damage it (I'm guessing not a lot) but seriously, if I slapped a Manfrotto logo on it no one would call it cheap.

I'm out to take pictures

05-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same tripod and yes it is a very good tripod but I do have to say it is not the most sturdy pod I have tried. I was shooting at Big Basin with wind gusts that were moving the tripod a bit, I hung my bag from the hook and that cured most of the shaking. Again though, for <$40 it is a very good tripod and only a tiny bit on the cheap side.

Where those $200+ tripods shine are absorbing vibration/movement. My friend is a semi-pro photographer and his tripod (cannot remember the brand) is more sturdy but not $200 more sturdy.
05-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've just gotten a Dolica proline tripod, the cheap (40$) one sold at Amazon.
Many of us got it on the Amazon special thing for about $18.50 :-)
05-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Indeed, the point of having a hook is to use it to get the tripod more stable. There is only so much a good design can do against vibrations, weight is needed. But then, your tripod gets heavier and not as portable.

05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The Dolica is advertised as being 62" tall. Is it 62 inches with the legs fully extended only or is it 62 inches with the legs and the centre column fully extended?

Thanks,
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Is it 62 inches with the legs fully extended only or is it 62 inches with the legs and the centre column fully extended?

Thanks,
I have not used it in a long time, or very much...but as I recall it is when fully extended - you have to hunch over a little. However, the way the ring around the column cinches down it seems to make it sturdier than the crank-style.
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought it at $40 as well. Missed that amazon deal (wanted to get another one for backup!).

The Dolica is .... well worth the $40 I think. After 1.5 yrs of usage, I think the ball head is getting loose - it moves as you tighten it. The legs is a little flimsy if you use the thinnest one so I try not to. I also have problem with the ball: head when you try to shoot vertically, the camera kind of block the twisting knob.

I recently 'upgrade' the leg to a Carbon fiber from Benro.... the design is very much looks like dolica, studier though. I sadly found out that CF tripod is not that much lighter than the dolica.

For $40, the dolica is an awesome tripod for starter, and I introduce it to friends who just start out photography (was introduce by my friend as well when I start photography).

05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have not used it in a long time, or very much...but as I recall it is when fully extended - you have to hunch over a little. However, the way the ring around the column cinches down it seems to make it sturdier than the crank-style.
I forgot to ask, how tall is it without the column extended?

Thanks,
05-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
is it 62 inches with the legs and the centre column fully extended?
Center clumn extended

but as I recall it is when fully extended - you have to hunch over a little
I'm 6 feet tall and hen everything is extended, the camera just about comes to my eyes.

I forgot to ask, how tall is it without the column extended
Remove about 16-20 inches, I'd say.
05-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #10

I forgot to ask, how tall is it without the column extended?

Thanks,
Just measured it. Center column full extended adds about 10 to 10.5 inches.
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote
Just measured it. Center column full extended adds about 10 to 10.5 inches.
Thanks, I am trying to figure out what the tripod height is without the ballhead and the centre column collapsed (about 50inches?). I don't like using tripods with the centre column extended and I am thinking of replacing the ballhead with an Manfrotto 222 joystick that I am currently using with my monopod. If anyone who owns a Dolica could measure the tripod setup to the base of the ballhead, and post it here I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks, I am trying to figure out what the tripod height is without the ballhead and the centre column collapsed (about 50inches?). I don't like using tripods with the centre column extended and I am thinking of replacing the ballhead with an Manfrotto 222 joystick that I am currently using with my monopod. If anyone who owns a Dolica could measure the tripod setup to the base of the ballhead, and post it here I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
I will try to do that in a couple hours.
05-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

47-1/2 inches to base of head with column down, 58 inches to base of head with column extended. I don't notice any extra wobble with the column up.
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

47-1/2 inches to base of head with column down, 58 inches to base of head with column extended. I don't notice any extra wobble with the column up.
Thanks SpecialK, that's what I wanted to know, much appreciated.
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

waiting for the deal again, i want another tripod...