Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Yes, it works, but in the real world when I am shooting, I would love to drop the tripod legs, level in a jiffy and catch that shot before it escapes me...the less tinkering the better.

Jason
Well, there are some tripods which have the catches for the legs at the top, rather than lower down, which might help make things go faster: basically, hold it by the column as plumb as you can, then release legs and lock them where they land... My antique 'beater' tripod has a design like that, (Nothing to write home about as a tripod, but kind of retro-gadget cool. ) but I noticed someone has a similar concept, more advanced, in something more current.

I think how it worked is that a little tug will make the legs extend, and you have to push the releases to shorten them.

It may have been Benbo again (not Benro.) It did catch my attention, a week or two ago, when I was poking around, as such a mechanism could save me a lot of stooping.

No, wait, not Benbo: found it in my browser history: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/336188-REG/Manfrotto_458B_458B_NeoTec_....html#features

Manfrotto 458B Neotech.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-01-2010 at 08:05 AM.
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
FYI. Feisol can be fitted with a leveling base, although it is not self adjusting.
Any tripod can be fitted out with a levelling base, for example the Manfrotto ones ( tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 338 - LEVELLING BASE ). A levelling bowl is ofcourse more convenient to use and (depending on the size) more stable, than a levelling base.

Ben
That's not quite the same as the Feisol CT-3372-3472LV shown below. The leveling base is part of the tripod base, with the center column itself mounted on the leveling base.

For the OP, if you attach some weight on the center column hook, and leave the leveling base free floating (i.e. unlocked), it must be heavy enough to self level by the weight alone. If you are really interested, ask Kerry at reallybigcameras.com, he is the US distributor for Feisol and is usually very helpful.

Last edited by song_hm; 02-03-2010 at 06:22 PM.
04-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #33
Forum Member

Is there then a hook at the end?

That's not quite the same as the Feisol CT-3372-3472LV shown below. The leveling base is part of the tripod base, with the center column itself mounted on the leveling base.

For the OP, if you attach some weight on the center column hook, and leave the leveling base free floating (i.e. unlocked), it must be heavy enough to self level by the weight alone. If you are really interested, ask Kerry at reallybigcameras.com, he is the US distributor for Feisol and is usually very helpful.

Looking at pictures at FEISOL Technology Corporation , there seems to be no hook at the end/bottom of the handle?

/Lars
04-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
Looking at pictures at FEISOL Technology Corporation , there seems to be no hook at the end/bottom of the handle?

/Lars
The pictures on the CT-3372/CT-3472 are cropped to show only the self leveling base. The hook is screwed on, not all page shows it attached. You can see one on the CT-3371 page display of the center column kit.

04-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #35
Forum Member

Which one?

The pictures on the CT-3372/CT-3472 are cropped to show only the self leveling base. The hook is screwed on, not all page shows it attached. You can see one on the CT-3371 page display of the center column kit.
I looked at this one one page you linked to:

There is a hook on the optional center column, but I do not think you can use that one for leveling! (Or is the "handle" in the leveling column replaceable?)

/Lars
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
I looked at this one one page you linked to:

There is a hook on the optional center column, but I do not think you can use that one for leveling! (Or is the "handle" in the leveling column replaceable?)

/Lars
You are looking at the optional leveling base for the CT-3371/CT-3471. That handle is not replaceable, it is meant to be used sans center column. I don't think it accept the hook either. The picture I was referring to is the one below it marked CT-3371 CCKit, it shows the hook attached under the center column.

My understanding is the CT-3372 comes with a built-in leveling base. From post #32, notice the circular top is shown raised at the rear left, in the middle of the circular top is the leveler adjusted so that the center column is straight vertical.
04-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've been a Benbo (name comes from the Bent Bolt mechanism used for locking it) user for 30 years plus and still using the same one. As already mentioned I believe it was derived from a WW1 machine gun tripod mounting. I'm pleased to say is never let me down in any situation in terms of its flexible usage.

The trick is not to slacken the bolt to much and as you put it down it does find it's own level of sorts.

Just use a ball head on top (mines a Benbo with revolving base added) and away you go with the fine adjustment.

04-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We have two self leveling tripods at work, massive things for theodolites, now they have to be 25 years old, and I don't want to imagine what they cost.

All total stations for the last say 15 years have self leveled. But that is the march of time, and now no-one uses them.

I'd say your best bet would be to look for a self leveling laser and see if you could adapt the baseplate.
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I've been a Benbo (name comes from the Bent Bolt mechanism used for locking it) user for 30 years plus and still using the same one. As already mentioned I believe it was derived from a WW1 machine gun tripod mounting. I'm pleased to say is never let me down in any situation in terms of its flexible usage.

The trick is not to slacken the bolt to much and as you put it down it does find it's own level of sorts.

Just use a ball head on top (mines a Benbo with revolving base added) and away you go with the fine adjustment.
+999!

I use both the original Kennet Engineering Trekker and Benbo Trekker II, with ballhead and pistol-grip ballhead, for 35mm and 6x7. The lower leg sections are WATERPROOF; flopping down in a creek, no problem.