Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K-r and Pentax K-x Compared
Posted By: Adam, 09-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Here is a table comparing the Pentax K-r with the Pentax K-x:

Click here to compare other Pentax DSLRs.

Pentax K-rPentax K-x
Year introduced20102009
AvailabilityWorldwideWorldwide
MountKAF2 (without coupling for aperture ring)KAF2 (without coupling for aperture ring)
Meter range1 to 21.5 EV1 to 21.5 EV
Meter patternm (16 segments) c sm (16 segments) c s
ISO range (expanded)200 - 12800 (100 - 25600)200 - 6400 (100 - 12800)
Expanded dynamic rangeYes, highlight and shadowYes, highlight and shadow
Exposure modesAutoPict, SCN, P, Sv, Av, Tv, M, BAutoPict, SCN, P, Sv, Av, Tv, M, B
RestrictionsExposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and MExposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M
Program modesNormal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait, Flash OffNormal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait, Flash Off. In live view also: Blue Sky, Sunset
Scene Modes11: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Night Scene HDR, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum10: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum
Exposure compensation+/-3 EV+/-3 EV
Exposure lockYesYes
Shutter speeds (auto)30s - 1/6000s (stepless)30s - 1/6000s (stepless)
Shutter speeds (manual)B, 30s - 1/6000sB, 30s - 1/6000s
Mirror lock-upYesYes
Shutter lifeAt least 100,000 actuationsShutter life: At least 100,000 actuations
Self timer / Interval shootingYes / YesYes / No
Continuous shootingHi: 6 fps (25 JPG, 12 RAW),
Lo: 2 fps (unlimited JPG, 36 RAW)
Hi: 4.7 fps to 17 frames (JPG), 5 frames (RAW)
Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 11 frames (RAW)
Shake reductionYesYes
Auto bracketingYes (3 frames)Yes (3 frames)
HDR modeYesYes
Multiple exposuresYesYes
Built-in flashYes, GN 12 (ISO 100), 16 (ISO 200)Yes, GN 12 (ISO 100), 16 (ISO 200)
TTL flashNoNo
P-TTL flashYesYes
Sync speed1/180s1/180s
Flash exposure comp-2 to 1 EV-2 to 1 EV
Extra external flash functionsWireless, High-speed, Contrast controlWireless, High-speed, Contrast control
AutofocusYes (SAFOX IX, 11 focus points), AF.S, AF.C and AF.AYes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points)
Autofocus sensitivity-1 to 18 EV-1 to 18 EV
Autofocus with SDMYesYes
AF AssistDedicated lamp (can be disabled)No
Front/Back focus corrYes, one adjustmentNo
Power zoomNoNo
Lens correctionYesYes
Viewfinder0.85x, 96%0.85x, 96%
Viewfinder typePentamirrorPentamirror
Diopter adjustment-2.5 to +1.5-2.5 to +1.5
AF Points in viewfinderYesNo
Exchangeable screenNoNo
Depth of field previewYesYes
Digital previewYes (with image magnificaion)Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live viewYesYes
Video/Movie Mode1280x720p / 25fps (16:9)
640x480p / 25 fps (4:3)
1280x720 (16:9) at 24 fps
640x416 (3:2) at 24 fps
Composite video out (no HDMI out)
Movie mode restrictionsThe aperture is fixed during recording. Autofocus is not available during recording.The aperture is fixed during recording. Autofocus is not available during recording.
Sound in Movie modeMono (built-in mic)
No provision for external mic
Mono (built-in mic)
No provision for external mic
Camera controls1 control wheel. Most functions accessed through info screen or menus1 control wheel. Most functions accessed through info screen or menus
Custom Functions2222
Sensor12.4 MP CMOS with SP coating12.4 MP CMOS with SP coating
Image size15.8 x 23.6 mm15.8 x 23.6 mm
Color Depth3 x 12 bit (RAW)3 x 12 bit (RAW)
Dust removal / alertYes / YesYes / Yes
Pixel mappingYesYes
File formatDNG, PEF, JPG, AVIDNG, PEF, JPG, AVI
Memory card typeSD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware updateSD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
TetheringNoNo
Back LCD3 in. 921,000 pix2.7 in. 230,000 pix
Top LCDNoNo
Weather resistantNoNo
BatteryLi-Ion D-LI109 or 4 x AA with optional battery holder4 x AA
Battery gripNoNo
Size (W x H x D)125 x 97 x 68 mm122.5 x 91.5 x 67.5 mm
Weight544 g (598 g with Li-Ion battery and SD card)515 g (580 g with lithium batteries and SD card)
Latest firmwareVersion 1.01Version 1.02
CommentIrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission.
Embed copyright information in EXIF.
Image plane indicator.
In-camera RAW development.
Save last JPG as RAW.
High ISO noise reduction is customizable separately for each ISO setting.
In-camera RAW development

Last edited by Ole; 02-12-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Views: 32,236
09-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The focus points, bigger LCD, and AF lamp are what I was missing on my K-x.
09-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-r Edges Out The K-x

The K-r has some great features to it.

If one already has the K-x, it wouldn't be enough difference to jump to the K-r, IMO.

The K5 is more of a candidate for me personally.

About a year apart between the K-r and K-x now, and the K-x will be a great bargain until they're gone.
09-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe there have to be some corrections to this chart.. because as far as I remember k-r has front-back focus correction for one lens.

and the differences in focusing should be more than just visible focus points and assist lamp, iK-r has the same focusig as K-5 only without "+" that is without further focus correction depending on the light source..

So the speed of K-r focusing should be the same as of K-5 in both af-s and af-c

Another good point for K-r is bigger buffer. So with 6fps and 20+ frames jpegs, and 12 or so raws, in my opinion it's the best pentax tool for sports.

Also K-r has almost the same software as k-5, and newer than the k-x so many other enhancement of features are available such as intervalometer, Night HDR and I believe there's more.. I hope that now it's possible to adjust volume in the movie mode, use 2 sec timer in HDR mode, and maybe the green button has more options to it..
so, even though I'd like to have K-5 body.. I'm not willing to so much more for such flaws as smaller buffer than K-r's,

having in mind that both all K-7, K-x, K-r and K-5 share the same processor, K-5 will be the slowest one to respond. While K-r should be the most optimal

we experienced the same shift when K10d was replaced by k20d, the resolution from 10mp went to 14.6 but the processor stayed the same. so the camera was not as responsive as k10d was and it was quite noticeable.

more over the K-r looks much more solid than the kx, it resembles its bigger brothers with similar lines and the flash, gets to the same height.

I think nowadays, when the company is releasing their new flagships, it is a necessity to replacace:
sensor, processor and buffer.
because if there is an increase in the data load, the new camera has to have power and potential to cope with it and not become slower than it's predecessor.

in pentax case we experienced this twice. they try to economize on the expence of cameras performance and responsiveness. k10d->k20d and now k-7->k5 is the same story.

09-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
Also K-r has almost the same software as k-5, and newer than the k-x so many other enhancement of features are available such as intervalometer, Night HDR and I believe there's more.. I hope that now it's possible to adjust volume in the movie mode, use 2 sec timer in HDR mode, and maybe the green button has more options to it..
so, even though I'd like to have K-5 body.. I'm not willing to so much more for such flaws as smaller buffer than K-r's,

having in mind that both all K-7, K-x, K-r and K-5 share the same processor, K-5 will be the slowest one to respond. While K-r should be the most optimal
I forgot about the interval and potentially other software features...

Will Pentax come with bundle of K-r and new 35 mm F2.4 lens?
- In Japan that lens comes in many colors...
09-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
I forgot about the interval and potentially other software features...

Will Pentax come with bundle of K-r and new 35 mm F2.4 lens?
- In Japan that lens comes in many colors...
Probably not, but this thread isn't the place to ask that. You'll get more responses in the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #7

Excuse me, i think there is one small mistake.

The autofocus system of K-r should be only SAFOX IX, without +.

09-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yup- no plus. That's only for the K-5 and 645D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: