Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Error with Pentax k-x

ever since I have gotten this camera I have gotten the message about 15-20% of the time. "This Image cannot be displayed" I am using a Centon SDHC class 10 4gb card and I have about 6 of them and the error has happened on all of these as well as a class 4 samsung SD card. not sure if its the cards or the camera or what. i have reformatted the cards through the camera and have deleted all the media a few times and the problem persists. Anyone have any ideas on this matter? is there a firmware update or anything to fix this?

05-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hate to state the obvious, but were the images you were trying to view taken with the same camera that they were being viewed on?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yea I would take a picture go to look at it and it would give me the message or sometimes I would take a few pictures and all of them would have the message.
05-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Might be a problem with the actual card, then. That message is only shown when there are errors in the file!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
But its been like 6 or 7 cards. You really think so?
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't find any mention of Centon's card speeds. They don't mention it on the website, likely for a good reason. My guess is these are cheap cards with bad transfer speeds and can't keep up with the frame rate of the K-X.

Try shooting 1 shot every second. Probably no errors.

Try shooting in continuous mode holding down the shutter release. Probably a few errors after a few seconds.

see reviews here:
Amazon.com: Centon 32GBSDHC6*32GB CLASS 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card (Blue):…
05-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Try a quality card and if the symptom persists your camera has hardware problem. I don't think it is related to firmware because your situation is the first I have heard of.

05-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #8

I've received this error when I deleted specific images from the card via the computer and then reinserted the card into the camera. No big deal. I just delete the error images through the camera.

Edit: Actually, I think it happened when I cut and pasted certain images from the card to another file on my computer. Maybe the "Cut" leaves a residual file or something like that.
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm my girlfriend uses the same cards and has never gotten this problem but she uses a canon rebel t1i. Do you think its still the cards? If so Ill buy a bunch of new ones now but I dont see how hers work perfectly and mine crapped out

Oh also it has class 10 on the card itself not sure if that matters
05-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must admit I have seen something similar. I have a AData class 10 card. Most of the time it works well and I notice a reasonable performance improvement over my other card (class 6) for continous shooting.
However occasionally I see the "Can not be displayed" error and when I download the image to the PC (Using USB not a card reader), the image is indeed corrupt.
I'm not sure of this, but I think this has mostly happened when I have turned off the camera too quickly after shooting a bunch of shots. I have recently been careful to not turn off straight away and so far have not seen any corrupt images.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 05-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
05-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #11

Well, I'm just tried to reproduce the error with cutting and pasting the images from my card reader on my pc to a file on the pc but it didn't work this time. However, I do know that in my case it was directly related to this as it was only a few specific images that I remember cutting and pasting. Then, when I was reviewing images on my camera, I kept getting that error message. I realized it was exactly those images I had cut and pasted. Perhaps it was from removing the memory card from the reader without "safely removing hardware".
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Upgrade you firmware.
Take most recent one from Official Pentax JAPAN site (as they have most recent updates and are doing some silent updates)

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #13

Original Poster
I just checked and I am already up to date in firmware. Maybe ill just give Pentax a call and see what they have to say
05-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

happend to me many times when u edit image in comp, sometimes there's enough if u just adjust something in picasa or so, and camera is not able to read that anymore...however, card in comp allways works so it's more like k-x can't read what it didn't made than card issue
05-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Format the card in the camera and see if you still have the problem. If you do, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a card problem, but it eliminates other possibilities.