Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Remind me why I should stay with Pentax

OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???

06-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The grass is always greener.
06-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeek - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
So basically, I really want someone to remind me why I loved Pentax so much. I do a lot of sports photography for hockey and soccer (my kids teams, not professionally) and I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4)
and switch to Nikon???
Yep, sell everything and switch.
06-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're unhappy, then switch. When you find what you don't like about Nikon, try Canon. I hear Panasonic and Sony are pretty good too. See you if and when you return to Pentax.

Good luck..

06-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you've got the money for the Nikon equivalent, go for it.

1. AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED = $1500 (Not stabilized)

2. AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II = $2200

3. AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED = $1000 (Not stabilized)

$4700 + the cost of your body of choice puts you well over $5k. That's a difference in price of over $2500.
06-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A mistake from the start? I know the frustration when you cannot depend on the gears being paid from. It has been said many times that Pentax SDM is unreliable, and Canon & Nikon own sport photography. Put your personal feeling aside, buy Pentax for their primes, Canon or Nikon for big performance zooms, it's that simple really.
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Watcha think? Should I sell off my system -K20d , 16-50(2.8), 50-135(2.8), 12-24(4) and switch to Nikon???
For sports, I can't see the in body SR as providing any benefit. The tracking ability of the Nikon AF system is pretty well accepted as being an order of magnitude better. How important has the WR of your Pentax system been for you? How important is the weight of the system? Finally, can you afford a comparable lens selection in Nikon with or without WR based on the value WR has been to you?

We are pretty close to Pentax announcing a new camera and I think the AF system will be the major area for improvement in the new body. Wait a couple of months and see would be my advice.

Thank you
Russell

06-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just upgraded to k-7 from K-10. There is definite improvement on AF in low light (focus assist lamp did help). I also use the DA* 16-50 with K-7 and did not encounter no issues at all. Also, I can use iso-1600 without having to worry about noise in low night.

I just wish the DA* 16-50 is a bit lighter. That is why I prefer my Limited primes. I guess I would not be in hurry to switch to the other camps as their fast glasses are heavy guns.
06-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Forum Member

Try a K-7 or K-x?

OK. I've been a Pentax girl since my first camera. Loved them and their lenses. In the last 6 months, my DA*16-50 has had motor replaced, and then had to have focus mechanism "adjusted" (stopped auto focusing completely) Now it works fine, but my DA*50-135 is starting to squeak - which is how the 16-50 started. It is 6 months out of warranty. Pentax Canada says they will "look at the situation" Here's hoping they cover it.
and switch to Nikon???
I think you need to decided which statement you made is "truer," or perhaps, "more complete":
QuoteQuote:
Loved them and their lenses.
or
QuoteQuote:
I've never been totally happy with the speed of AF.
I have never used the DA 16-50 or the DA 50-135, but I have read about SDM problems. Instead of the DA 50-135, I am more in the market for the Sigma 50-150, in part because of fear of SDM failure.

I can't remind you why you "loved Pentax so much." I can only tell you the following: Like you, I do a lot of sports photography of my kids and their teams, mostly football and soccer; I also do not shoot these professionally. I was OK with the K10D AF speed outdoors in good light, but I have been much happier with the AF speed since upgrading to the K-x.

You might want to consider the K-7 or the K-x, which I think will give you better AF performance than either the K10D or the K20D.

Switching systems can be a hassle: Selling off the old stuff, probably at a loss, and buying new stuff.

I guess the most logical thing would be to decide WHAT you would replace your existing equipment with: Nikon D90, D300, Canon 7D?
  1. Make a list of what the bodies and lenses would cost to give you what you have right now in Pentax.
  2. Subtract what you think you could get for your existing equipment.
  3. Look at the difference in cost, and decide if it is worth it to you.

Personally, I love in-body stabilization. I periodically consider making the jump to Nikon, but after adding up what the VR lenses would cost me, I stay with Pentax. Not a perfect system, but still the best bang for the buck.

Greg

Last edited by gkreth; 06-21-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typos
06-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you have the money to switch burning a hile in your pocket then either switch or upgrade to the K-7 plus either a Sigma or Tamron 70-200/f2.8.

If you have a look at my website, in my sig, you'll see I do a lot of sport, and I use a K-7 plus Sigma 70-200 (screw focus though) and it's perfectly adequate for your kids sport.

I will mention though that I believe C and N have better tracking focus than P. Thus I am currently saving to maybe switch to one of them, but I'm probably into the sports stuff a tad more seriously than you. If it was just my kids then my setup would be more than adequate. I love the size, weight and weather-proofness of the K-7, and though there's no weather-proff 70-200/2.8 for it, it's still a bonus to be less worried about the rain.

The problem with a C or N is their size, for me. I'd be less inclined to take it with me to parties or family dinners etc. So it's a tough decision. Good luck.
06-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
I guess I'll do the Pro's/cons list. I wouldn't replace all the lenses...I'd just start with a decent prime and one fast telephoto for the sports. I guess I'll see what Pentax will do for me regarding the out of warranty bit too. And I have thought of upgrading to K7 for AF speed, but was going to wait till the next model comes out. My only worries are the SDM issues. I will look into the Sigma 50-150.
thanks for input everyone!
06-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #12

Pentax still the way to go!

I have owned a K10D now for about 3 years but primarily use Sigma lenses. Just this last weekend I went out with a friend (who has the C brand equipment) to photograph a couple of hockey matches. My new Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lens performed flawlessly in Apeture Priority Mode. Just kept shooting and shooting and the photos were -- well as good if not better than the C brand with a C brand 70-200mm F2.8 attached. (Oooh, the cost of that setup -- ouch!) Anyway, my friend (who is a professional sports photographer) was impressed. And of course, did I say that if you buy the Sigma Lens in Canada, you get a 10 year warranty! Try the Sigma brand, and if you have the scratch ($), wait until the upgraded K-7 comes out. You should also notice an improvement when you use the Sigma lens on the K20D. Oh, and be sure you get the lens without the OS - optical stabiliztion. They are half the price of the newer lenses they are now coming out with. Yeh, Canada -- who else would offer a 10 year warranty. P.S. - I bought my equipment from Henry's and purchased the extended warranty for another 3 years for the body of the camera -- total 5 year warranty. Now would the N or C brands meet that??
06-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yeah, I like Henry's too. That's who put the "bug in my ear" about the idea of switching when he heard about my problems with the SDM. The guy I talked to used to have Pentax, but switched to Nikon because of reliability issues. I'll try to get my hands on a Sigma to test it out. The warranty sure does make it look good!
06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
You stay because you choose too
06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YES......