Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 12:39 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

An example of the DR possible with the K-5

First off, I love my new k-5. I have been impressed by it in almost every aspect and the new firmware update has shown that it may be possible for it to just continue getting better and better.

I have been professionally shooting college sports, where the FPS, low ISO performance, and improved auto focus (especially the AF-C) have been huge improvements over most gear I have used in the past, and may be just below $5000 cameras like the D3s and Mark IV. I also personally love shooting architecture and landscapes and have found that this little camera (although mines not so little any more, due to the grip, which actually makes it fit my big hands much better anyhow) is amazingly great for everything I do in photography.

Sorry for the crappy pic (phone camera in the dark) but its the only one I have on hand of my new baby with the cheap but great ebay grip and my new-vintage strap.

I shoot a lot of HDR, but the DR (dynamic range) of this new sensor has made multiple exposures unnecessary in certain low to medium contrast scenes, which is really nice (fewer exposures always make life easier). The DR at ISO 80 is especially impressive (just check the DXOmark scores for further analytical proof) but I just wanted to show you a real world example I took last week. Below is a single exposure (80 ISO, 10mm, f9, 1/200, handheld) shot I took last week while I was out in souther California for the annual international neuroscience convention. It was midday, which is the worst time to shoot due to harsh overhead sun, vertical shadows and diluted DR, but with the K-5 I was able to pull details in the shadows and keep detail in the sky with no problem or noise. This was taken at the Salk institute which is a very amazing research institution (world leading) and which sits on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA over looking the pacific (for more info on the shot and the location visit my flicker site flickr.com/benison).

And without further ado (not a link to the full size, which is massive and awesome, but you will hopefully get the picture, pun intended)

11-22-2010, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a stunning photo, DR aside. But yes, the DR is very impressive.
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Most impressive. And a really cool shot, to boot! Nicely done!
11-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great photo

11-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

I'm more impressed all the time, everytime I see a new picture posted, can't wait to get mine.
11-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is the divergence of the walls a post manipulation? Where is this place? It is pretty cool.
11-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Is the divergence of the walls a post manipulation? Where is this place? It is pretty cool.
See OP:

QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
This was taken at the Salk institute which is a very amazing research institution (world leading) and which sits on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA over looking the pacific (for more info on the shot and the location visit my flicker site flickr.com/benison).

11-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Great Shot, A Question ?

Which lens you use, a Pentax or Tamron ?

wll
11-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was taken at the Salk institute which is a very amazing research institution (world leading) and which sits on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA over looking the pacific (for more info on the shot and the location visit my flicker site flickr.com/benison).
Fantastic shot. I wonder if you have attended a lecture by A. Damasio.
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Which lens you use, a Pentax or Tamron ?
This is actually a sigma 10-20mm, looking very seriously at the sigma 8-16mm, read some great things about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Fantastic shot. I wonder if you have attended a lecture by A. Damasio.
Damasio is actually one of my favorite neuroscientists. Such a great writer. I actually do research on the Insula also, which is one of the brain structures that he focuses much of his interoceptive body marker theories on.

Love that you know of him.
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Damasio is actually one of my favorite neuroscientists. Such a great writer. I actually do research on the Insula also, which is one of the brain structures that he focuses much of his interoceptive body marker theories on.

Love that you know of him.
I have to be sincere with you. He is a Portuguese fellow so he makes proud. So now you know. I have all his books and I'm always expecting for that Nobel he deserves. Also, I´m interested in the relation between psychoanalysis and what contemporary neuroscience have to say about it. Damasio happens to be on that line of thought, so I don't miss a thing that he says.

Thank you.

PS: Hey Ben, maybe you could do that; I mean write a book about neuroscience and Freud; after all, neuroscience does need some sort of a mind theory, which to my knowledge is still not accomplished; I would love to read it.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 11-22-2010 at 02:39 PM.
11-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #12

yeas its beautiful shot very good composition and show what is the real power of K-5.
And if I could suggest you something. if you have sigma 10-20 better for you will be buy samyang 8 mm. I Have those two but start from samyang as wide eye.
Best regards
11-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Awesome image !
Looks like something from a Si-Fi movie.
11-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Got to agree, that is a great shot.
Like the strap, too!
11-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Excellent B&W image benisona!