Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would you pay for this flash?
- $ 50, I don't want a flash at all, I just want a cheaper body. 1219.35%
$ 0, the current flash is fine for me. 3048.39%
$ 50, for that tool (with limited extra functions) only 50 dollar. 711.29%
$ 100, that is worth something to me, make it good. 46.45%
$ 150, no external flash needed, so this tool may cost when it is a perfect tool. 914.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
K-3 speculation -> new flash

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is there anything else to want/need for a K-5 successor or is it just AF?

Coult there be a more advanced flash in the body? All brands at the time make the same kind of onboard flash. Coult it be possible to have it stronger, like flashpower 20 (instead of 13 it is now) and make it adjustable in power output in steps (p-TTL, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64) and give it some kind of swiffle head.

Wouldn't that be a great future?
I just start a new thread, hitting off with my idea in the other thread. Just because it is a bit overwelmed in the AF discussions there. Also to add a poll to see what people like. This new flash means also a big new R&D investment, so it has to be word wile the effort.

Thinking about it:
It should be a very versatile tool. That could replace most small flashes and only makes a need for the big flashguns to buy separate or for off-camera work. Therefor it has to be a well equiped tool.
  1. Tilt and swiffel head.
  2. Zoomfunction with lenses (or at least like 2-3 different angles) covering from 24mm (DA16mm) to 105mm (70mm).
  3. Hi GN number like 20 to 22 in meters (or 66 to 72 in ft).
  4. X-sync to 1/250th.
  5. HSS sync to at least 1/500th.
  6. p-TTL.
  7. Manual control: 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128th at least.
  8. Masterfunction, controlling at least 2 different groups.
  9. Wouldn't it be great to have it as a slavefunction, so when you handle a second camera that this one not only flashes with the first one but also makes a picture along.
  10. Optimimal energyloading with the second battery in the grip for faster shooting (3-4 seconds full loading max).
  11. Anything else?

Would this be off any interest and what functions to leave or to add?

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 06-03-2011 at 11:52 AM.
06-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the body flash need to be small and it's only a "just in case" flash.

More over, a powerfull flash will drain very quickly the battery.

With the K-x i can do between 200 - 600 with flash depending on the +/- EV.
With a GN 22, i could do maybe 100 - 300 wich will be not much att all !

So as for me, it's a bad "good-idea", and so $0 : the current flash is good for me
06-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No interest in such a built in flash at all.
It just cannot have the power, recycle time or the versatility of a dedicated external flash.
If a user needs more than what current popup flashes provide, then an external flash is a must.
06-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Flash? Na, I'd rather have 10 more stops of dynamic range.

06-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would prefer a flash with weather-sealing, Faster recycle times, and manual settings that go as low as 1/128th and of course zoom,swivel & tilt functionality would be fantastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I'd rather have 10 more stops of dynamic range
the typical lighting over your average day covers about 11 stops give or take...what the hell are you taking photos of?
06-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Such a flash as mentioned in the OP doesn't interest me one single bit, and going in the other direction, I personally wouldn't miss it if the new dSLR got rid of the on-board flash altogether, though not at the expense of build quality, features or just to purely market a cheaper body (i.e. think EOS 1Ds or D3 series).

just my 2c
06-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't want any more unnecessary bulk on the main camera flash. To make it useful compared to a real flash, it would probably need to be too bulky, and really mess up ergonomics when you don't need a flash. I would rather the on-board flash be gone, replaced with a wireless flash system that makes it easier to trigger flashes wirelessly without the need for wireless radio triggers.

06-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't like the position of the on-board flash for anything other than light fill outdoors.

I'd much rather have a redesigned system for external flash.
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither news, nor rumor.
moving
06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Such a flash as mentioned in the OP doesn't interest me one single bit, and going in the other direction, I personally wouldn't miss it if the new dSLR got rid of the on-board flash altogether, though not at the expense of build quality, features or just to purely market a cheaper body (i.e. think EOS 1Ds or D3 series).

just my 2c
One adv of on-board flash is as wireless master, so you might miss it
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the body flash need to be small and it's only a "just in case" flash.

With the K-x i can do between 200 - 600 with flash depending on the +/- EV.
With a GN 22, i could do maybe 100 - 300 wich will be not much att all !
My idea was to have something more then as you say very good and to the point looking at all current onboard flashes "just in case".

Well as stated this is meant for K-5 successor and they run on a good battery that run's in jpg easily 2000 and in RAW like 1500 pictures. The camera is more expensive and thus giving room for a more expensive flash (as now is with K-r running a GN 11 and the K-5 a GN 13 flash).

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It just cannot have the power, recycle time or the versatility of a dedicated external flash.
Well that is a concern of me too. Just looked at my K-5 and it takes just over 3,5 seconds to reload after a full power flash. So with a GN of say 22 that would take much longer (when running full power flashes). Hence my number 10 to make more out off the grip and give it a faster powercharge to the flash. This will deplete still the battery's, but then again, just put a spare in your pocket.

A new generation battery probably can take more power then the current one (developed in 2008 or so) and thus maybe making the problem smaller.

Also possible to this is like putting a different charger in the box and two, instead of just one battery. It's not rocket science to charge two battery's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I would prefer a flash with weather-sealing, Faster recycle times, and manual settings that go as low as 1/128th and of course zoom,swivel & tilt functionality would be fantastic.
Well this should be wheaterseald as the body is, unless your talking about a separate new flash. I just looked at my Metz 58 AF-1 flash and that goes up to 1/256th, but has much more power. So 1/128th would be great to have, but the amount off light it gives is very small I think.

I personally wouldn't miss it if the new dSLR got rid of the on-board flash altogether, though not at the expense of build quality, features or just to purely market a cheaper body (i.e. think EOS 1Ds or D3 series).
To be honest I wouldn't miss the current onboard flash either, since it is almost useless to get good pictures. That's why I was thinking of turning it into something usefull.

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
I don't like the position of the on-board flash for anything other than light fill outdoors.
Well that's why the tilt and swiffel head, so you can direct it to more positions.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 06-03-2011 at 09:22 AM.
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I almost never use built-in or shoe flash (well actually I do but with radio slaves). I'd say make a DSLR w/o the built-in flash at all.
06-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
One adv of on-board flash is as wireless master, so you might miss it
I personally use radio triggers for any off-camera flash work and I don't even remember the last time I used the on-board flash on any of my cameras, so I highly doubt I'll miss it
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I personally use radio triggers for any off-camera flash work and I don't even remember the last time I used the on-board flash on any of my cameras, so I highly doubt I'll miss it
Me too, so I would rather have some advanced pentax radio equipment with additional functionality.
06-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Interesting....I assume radio slave wont to p-ttl. Anyway, can you help me understand reasons for using radio slaves compared to wireless p-ttl in this new thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/146329-...less-pttl.html

Thanks

Last edited by yusuf; 06-03-2011 at 01:00 AM.