Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 Questions For TCSTV

Hey guys,

I shoot the videos for The Camera Store TV on YouTube (The Camera Store - TV - YouTube). I'll be going out with the K-30 on a rainy river shoot, and I'd love to hear any tests you'd like to see. The shoot is this Sunday, so try and hit me with your suggestions as soon as possible so we can plan for them.

07-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it possible for you guys to test the AF Speed (in low light, preferably) compared to M4/3 cameras and Canon/Nikon DSLR's?
I really like your channel, i'm sure you guys will do a lot of nice tests..
07-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always been curious at to how practical it was to use a weather resistant dslr/wr lens combo in really rainy/wet conditions when the water keeps falling on the front element/uv filter of the lens.

If you could add a small note in your review on how easy or hard it was to wipe/keep dry the front element of the lens to maintain the quality of the pics taken it would be helpful.

Thanks.
07-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I have always been curious at to how practical it was to use a weather resistant dslr/wr lens combo in really rainy/wet conditions when the water keeps falling on the front element/uv filter of the lens.

If you could add a small note in your review on how easy or hard it was to wipe/keep dry the front element of the lens to maintain the quality of the pics taken it would be helpful.

Thanks.
It's supposed to be a downpour on Sunday. We will be using a hood for the lens to keep some water off the filter, but we'll have a few microfiber cloths on hand just in case. I've shot with a K5 in some pretty heavy rains, and as long as I don't angle the lens towards the sky too much, I never have any real issues.

07-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, you'll have a lot of interest in anything to do with AF, is it better than the K5, or midrange cameras from Canon or Nikon. Aside from AF, focus peaking is something I'm really interested in with this camera. How effective is it with a f1.4 lens?
07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a test, can you do some AF-C mode testing to see how well the camera keeps up with a moving subject?

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
We will be using a hood for the lens to keep some water off the filter,
The lenses are supposed to have a coating to make water repel or be easier to clean - wouldn't you want to test this as opposed to putting a filter on it?
07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I know everyone already mentioned AF but I just had a thought. I'm completely ignorant about the ways of WR cameras but now that the K-30 has an AF system that attempts to track moving subjects, I wonder what the impact of a heavy rain would be in AF-C? In other words, would the tracking AF become distracted by large raindrops.

07-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Is it possible for you guys to test the AF Speed (in low light, preferably) compared to M4/3 cameras and Canon/Nikon DSLR's?
I really like your channel, i'm sure you guys will do a lot of nice tests..
Chris and I will be doing AF and IQ tests over the next couple days, our K-30 should be arriving today. We won't be bringing other cameras on our tiny raft, but we'll have some tests from the store included.
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
For a test, can you do some AF-C mode testing to see how well the camera keeps up with a moving subject?

The lenses are supposed to have a coating to make water repel or be easier to clean - wouldn't you want to test this as opposed to putting a filter on it?
Good point, we'll leave the filters at home.
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
I know everyone already mentioned AF but I just had a thought. I'm completely ignorant about the ways of WR cameras but now that the K-30 has an AF system that attempts to track moving subjects, I wonder what the impact of a heavy rain would be in AF-C? In other words, would the tracking AF become distracted by large raindrops.
Having shot in the rain with the K-5, I don't expect rain to confuse the AF. We'll certainly have a good idea at the end of this shoot though!