Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Pentax Extended Warranty

I purchased my K20D from the local Pentax Dealer.

When I picked it up, he asked if I wanted to purchase an addtional two years of warranty. When I said "yes", he said "check back with me in about a week and I should have the paperwork in.". So, yesterday I went by the shop and inquired as to whether, or not, he had gotten in the warranty paperwork.

"yes" he said, it costs $40. Now, I'm figuring that this is a third party extended warranty that he is selling.

But, Alas, it is a Pentax extended warranty. $40 to extend the warranty from one to three years and it includes a one time, free of charge, tune up at any time during the warranty period. My thought is that the free tune up is worth the price of the extended warranty.

The only hitch is that the extended warranty must be purchased within 30 days of the purchase date of the camera and the Camera has to come from an authorized Pentax "USA" dealer. You can't buy it if you live in Virginia or Florida and, it is not transferable.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if your dealer does not have this warranty available, you can probably purchase it direct from Pentax in Colorado.

Just, FYI.......

04-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curious that it isn't available in VA. We seem to be able to buy everything else here.
04-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I purchased my K20D from the local Pentax Dealer.

When I picked it up, he asked if I wanted to purchase an addtional two years of warranty. When I said "yes", he said "check back with me in about a week and I should have the paperwork in.". So, yesterday I went by the shop and inquired as to whether, or not, he had gotten in the warranty paperwork.

"yes" he said, it costs $40. Now, I'm figuring that this is a third party extended warranty that he is selling.

But, Alas, it is a Pentax extended warranty. $40 to extend the warranty from one to three years and it includes a one time, free of charge, tune up at any time during the warranty period. My thought is that the free tune up is worth the price of the extended warranty.

The only hitch is that the extended warranty must be purchased within 30 days of the purchase date of the camera and the Camera has to come from an authorized Pentax "USA" dealer. You can't buy it if you live in Virginia or Florida and, it is not transferable.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if your dealer does not have this warranty available, you can probably purchase it direct from Pentax in Colorado.

Just, FYI.......
Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on this. For $40 bucks a Pentax warranty is a sound investment. When I purchased my K10D the first day it was available I broke my cardinal rule of no extended warrantees and purchased an independant one for 7 years from a reliable source for about the same amount. Unlike, the mechanical nature of my LX's and both Pentax MF systems, the possibility of chip problems, longitudinally, concern me a little with digital cameras.

A steal at $40 bucks.

Stephen

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Curious that it isn't available in VA. We seem to be able to buy everything else here.
Hi Tom,

Maybe they don't realize VA has returned to the Union.

Stephen
04-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
racinsince55

If you have to buy the warranty direct from Pentax Imaging in Colorado, the cost is $99.95 for the two year extension.

They give you 90 days from the date of purchase to buy the Warranty and you have to FAX them a copy of your purchase invoice.

I have a feeling that Ed's guy either made a mistake or sold it to him at cost.

Either way, it's a good deal.

r

04-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not quite a warranty?

In some states, certain "extended warranties" are considered insurance rather than a warranty of quality materials and construction. They're then regulated by the state insurance commission (or whatever it's called) and governed by insurance-type rules. All this can make it entirely too hard for a company to do certain sorts of business. You can see that on some TV adverts that will show state-by-state exclusions.

I'd cross state lines to get that for $40!!
04-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #6

Anyone have a link to purchase their (the Pentax version, no third party) extended warranty?
04-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Anyone have a link to purchase their (the Pentax version, no third party) extended warranty?

There's no link. You have to call them.,

1-800-877-0155

And, the extended warranty is not available in VA.