Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PentaxPoke,

1.) How has the camera functioned since the "flight"? Any issues?

2.) When is the next "flight" scheduled? Will you have a payload on it?

p.s. Hope it's okay with you...I used one of your images as the desktop wallpaper on one of the computers at work. I work (half time funding) in satellite operations for one of the earth sensing instruments aboard the Terra satellite platform.

07-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Steven,

The k10d was unnafected by the flight. If anything, it takes pictures with more authority now, because it can say it has been to the edge of space.

You may have missed post #103 where I discussed the plans for the next flight. We are looking forward to it!

I am honored you would use one of our photos for your desktop. All I ask is that if anyone asks you about the photo, you mention Oklahoma State University and Pentax.
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, that's sure nice work if you can get it. Excellent job and excellent shots.
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by jesster Quote
this we all already know! in fact, this is very old story happen couple years ago.

* the diffrence is, this K10D is a total consumer product used at the eage of the sky, not the custom make thingly, and this K10D is exposed the the real enviroment. not inside protected space craft.
they dont even have the 30 km (or so) fall!

07-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #125
Inactive Account

Hi again PentaxPoke

Ques 1:
If I ever decide to attempt a similar kind of caper, do you reckon I ought to plaster my K10D all over with thermal tiles, in order to protect it from burning-up at the re-entry stage ?

Ques 2:
What do you think would happen if I sent my mother-in-law up there for the day ? She's somewhat reluctant at the best of times, but if I paid you enough, do think it could be arranged.....LOL ?

Best regards
Richard
07-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #126

QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
my version of Pentax ad:

one line of very small white print at the bottom of page with Poke's image that says:

104.000 ft • -66 C • near vacuum • 500 photos • 99% success rate •30 km fall • PENTAX
i hope you and PentaxPoke don't mind....
07-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #127

I don't mind, but have a suggestion:
lettering should spread from left to the right side of the picture with small margins and font used should be something fresh and modern (Parachute Fonts type foundry is my favourite). I know, I'm nitpicking, but I'm designer, what can I do?

07-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
What do you think would happen if I sent my mother-in-law up there for the day ?
Well Richard, I can tell you what would happen ... she will be very upset Because she will survive it

This is an image of Joseph Kittinger in 1960 jumping from this exact altitude (31km) out of an open balloon:

As you can see, it is important to wear warm underwear
And cameras in 1960 didn't seem to bother much about the harsh conditions up there neither. Somehow, we and our equipment are all mollycoddles nowadays.
07-24-2008, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

At that altitude, warm underwear aren't enough. You also need oxygen, otherwise you'll suffer brain damage (but, then, that maight be your goal). You might also need a "space suit" since the pressure is so low. And good UV filtration for your eyes.
07-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
At that altitude, warm underwear aren't enough. You also need oxygen, otherwise you'll suffer brain damage (but, then, that maight be your goal).

I think anybody who goes to that altitude in a balloon already has suffered brain damage, so I don't think it would be a problem.

But what troubles me is, what happened to the guy who stayed in the balloon to take the photo? ;-)

Will
07-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wondering if you got their permission NOAA Open Letter to Google Lunar X PRIZE Participants Res Communis
07-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a University research project

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It was a university research project. The actual object was to deliver the primary payload, a cosmic radiation detector, to a near space altitude. I'm certain that they followed proper procedures, the even filed a "flight plan" with the FAA!

NaCl(not quite the "stunt" status of the google contest)H2O
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I hope you know I was joking, lol.
07-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #134

I think the temperature sensor is there to tune the autofocus as the size of various camera components changes through thermal expansion/contraction. At least, that's why other DSLR models have temp sensors.

It's possible the Pentax stops reading the temp sensor when the focus mode is switched to manual. PentaxPoke, did you do your freezer test on AF or MF?
07-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raindrift Quote
I think the temperature sensor is there to tune the autofocus as the size of various camera components changes through thermal expansion/contraction. At least, that's why other DSLR models have temp sensors.

It's possible the Pentax stops reading the temp sensor when the focus mode is switched to manual. PentaxPoke, did you do your freezer test on AF or MF?
The noise reduction circuit in the K20D's CMOS sensor has an integral temp sensor for obvious reasons: the higher the temperature, the higher the noise. I would be interested to know if one is incorporated in the K10D's CCD, though.