Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D - image is consistently rotated?

I have a K10D and have noticed that no matter how carefully i compose the image using the edges of the viewfinder as a reference, my resulting photos come out slightly rotated. Curiously, the same rotation percentage in Lightroom is all it takes to correct for this. At first I thought maybe i was slightly rotating the camera when pressing the shutter, since the right side of the photo always comes out a little lower than the left, but i've confirmed that it's not me by placing the camera on a flat, level surface, making sure my vertical and horizontal lines in the photo were correct and then taking a photo that's slight off kilter.

So, could this be something in the viewfinder? it seems highly unlikely to me that the sensor is askew, but i could imagine a viewfinder problem. I don't think it's the focusing screen, because i'm using the edges of the viewfinder frame and not the etched lines in the screen itself as my reference.

any thoughts?

03-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When using a tripod, or table, or other means of steadying the camera, turn off the SR. It is possible that your CCD is not level due to SR shift. Turning it off should lock it into place and should be level. I have noticed that some of my shots aren't as level as I thought in the viewfinder either, although not as consistent as you mentioned.
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have that problem too but it does not go away once SR is turned off. Especially when it comes to urban city shots playing with geometrical lines.

This is a minor thing and easily correctable in photoshop. This does not happen a lot til certain photography opportunities ...
03-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is a minor thing and easily correctable in photoshop.
it is easily correctable in photoshop or lightroom, true. But i don't think it's minor. for me, much of what I tend to shoot is geometric, so i'm constantly having to make adjustments. Sure, i can batch process this kind of fix, but it's annoying - the whole point of an SLR is that you're supposed to get what you see through the viewfinder, no?

if there was a way to compensate in the camera, i'd be happy.

03-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I agree that it is annoying. It is troubling that it is this consistent. Maybe I just haven't noticed it as much with what I shoot. I know that when the camera is turned off that the shift plate moves freely in the camera so it could come to rest anywhere. I would think that when shooting with SR turned off the shift plate should set to default position before locking. If not maybe it should be addressed in a firmware update.
03-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

Hi,

Just a thought: have you tried turning sensor cleaning option as default at camera startup? Maybe this will force the sensor to lock into the correct position.
03-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have this same problem with my DS.. have had since I bought it.

Only suggestion is to send it in for adjustment.

03-13-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

^ but you don't have SR, so it's not an SR issue.

Can't say I've noticed it myself - if I line up the horizon with the centre rectangle, s'all good.
03-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Nothing to do with SR

It is simply that your VF mask and or screen are slightly out of alignment, if it is a constant thing (meaning every shot requires the same adjustment), one way to test is to use a hot-shoe level and get your camera level, and take the shot, if it isn't straight it's your sensor (and would require replacement) , if it is straight it is the VF.

Two ways to solve it if it is the VF, one release the Focus screen latch and then close it, the adjustment should realign the screen, other wise check to make sure all the mask edges are parallel with the focus lines and what you know to be a level and geometrically correct scene.

Two, return the camera to pentax and tell them that you need the VF realigned.

Third and final way, be aware of the compensation required and apply it manually before you take the shot.
03-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
ItTwo ways to solve it if it is the VF, one release the Focus screen latch and then close it, the adjustment should realign the screen, other wise check to make sure all the mask edges are parallel with the focus lines and what you know to be a level and geometrically correct scene.
I haven't taken this out yet, but from the photos I'm seeing on the web, it looks like the focus screen is a solid clear piece of plastic, which leads me to believe that the mask edges are in a fixed position in the camera body, no? I'm using the edges in the viewfinder to line up to horizontal and vertical lines, not the etched marks in the focus screen. So is it possible that whatever forms that sharp edge in the viewfinder can move? I don't have the camera with me at the moment so I can't see for myself.
03-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #11

That's why the suggestion to release and re-clip the viewfinder screen. If it's a bit off, that should put it back in place.
03-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by friolator Quote
I haven't taken this out yet, but from the photos I'm seeing on the web, it looks like the focus screen is a solid clear piece of plastic, which leads me to believe that the mask edges are in a fixed position in the camera body, no? I'm using the edges in the viewfinder to line up to horizontal and vertical lines, not the etched marks in the focus screen. So is it possible that whatever forms that sharp edge in the viewfinder can move? I don't have the camera with me at the moment so I can't see for myself.
It doesn't move (or at least it isn't supposed to) but it can be out of alignment from the factory, if it is this that is out, you can either ignore it and use the straight screen or you can send your camera back and try and get it fixed, i would do the first option personally,
03-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A detailed testing / checking method

The problem you see is about a rotated viewfinder element, optically, and/or a rotated CCD sensor which is/are misaligned at the factory when they were installed.

You can check for the sensor alignment first. First you should look at if the central AF/Spot meter bracket is right in the centre. If it is so, face a mirror, put the camera on a tripod with a level indicator (mercury or any colored fluid), view thro the finder, see that you camera is in the dead centre of the bracket, then optically you have aligned the optical axis so that no any inclined lines shall be seen owing to tilting or shifted to the left or the right.

Surrounding the mirror, there should be some rectangular or square lines which are absolutely perpendicular to each other so that you can see if the vertical or horizontal lines are "rotated" in this case.

If the horizontal are "rotated" when you see thro the finder but that the level indicator on the tripod (or something that mounted on the hotshoe is also fine for this test), then you finder is misaligned. If the finder image is okay as seen but the final image is rotated, then the CCD is rotated.

In both or either case, only Pentax may help you, but I bet the re-adjustment for both will be a difficult task at the local service centre as it should be done in the production line, before everything are assembled together.

Hope this helps.

p.s. My experience is that my *ist D bodies had the most obvious "rotation" while my *ist DS ones have a little bit. My K100D, surprisingly, is perfect, so that I now get very good levelled pics as its finder is very accurate!

QuoteOriginally posted by friolator Quote
I have a K10D and have noticed that no matter how carefully i compose the image using the edges of the viewfinder as a reference, my resulting photos come out slightly rotated. Curiously, the same rotation percentage in Lightroom is all it takes to correct for this. At first I thought maybe i was slightly rotating the camera when pressing the shutter, since the right side of the photo always comes out a little lower than the left, but i've confirmed that it's not me by placing the camera on a flat, level surface, making sure my vertical and horizontal lines in the photo were correct and then taking a photo that's slight off kilter.

So, could this be something in the viewfinder? it seems highly unlikely to me that the sensor is askew, but i could imagine a viewfinder problem. I don't think it's the focusing screen, because i'm using the edges of the viewfinder frame and not the etched lines in the screen itself as my reference.

any thoughts?
11-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #14

Askew fotos

Just wanted to mention that I have the same problems with my brand-new K10D. Askew horizon on most of my pictures although I carefully level them in the viewfinder. On a table, the pictures come out correct, so it's not the sensor.
But it is neither my inability to take pictures: I have made perfectly leveled photos through the viewfinder of my Mz5n (ZX5n), even without a tripod. Nor do I have two differently long legs (honestly, that was a possible reason I read for the askew pictures).
I exchanged my brand-new K10D after two weeks in the shop for another one. Same issues. I couldn't believe it! This kind of error with an almost 1.000 Euro gear!!!
Instead of changing it for a third camera, I had it send to Pentax. Hopefully they fix the thing.
If not, I'll demand my money back and that was it for me and digital photography. At least with Pentax.
11-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #15

I've sent mine in for a repair in Sweden just beacuse of this issue and they fixed it.