Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
thomps6s

K20D - Night Shooting issue

Hi,
I have been having issues when shooting with my K20D in the cold. Sometimes I get a purple Band across the top third of the image and the rest of the image is terribly noisy. Doesn't seem to matter if the exposure is 20 seconds or 20 minutes.
Doesn't matter what ISO files are. I have only noticed it in the cold, but I never had an issue with my K10D like this.
Any ideas?
I will post a sample image later today.

Last edited by thomps6s; 01-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.
01-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
thomps6s

This is happening in the daytime too. It happens sporadically.
Weird, Inconsistent Noise and Banding.

01-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
thomps6s

At least it happened on crappy images.
01-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #4

Last monday, i sent my K20D back for repair under warranty.

(The green picture is the same from the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/43634-k20d-vertica...tml#post439175)

01-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks like an issue with the card not the camera. I could be wrong but try a different on.
01-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
That looks like an issue with the card not the camera. I could be wrong but try a different on.
Tried SD 512 MB, SDHC 4GB, SDHC 8GB Extreme III. All the same (at least on mine K20D. I cannot speak for thomps6s ofcourse)

Last edited by rverhag; 01-10-2009 at 02:38 PM.
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Bummer that is not a good sign. Maybe time to send it in for repair.

01-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
thomps6s

Well, I took the suspect card out of rotation. Hopefully that is the issue.
Thanks for the replies!
I will keep you posted.
01-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomps6s Quote
I have been having issues when shooting with my K20D in the cold. (snip)

You didn't say exactly how cold, so just consider this general advice...

K20D owners manual, page 4: The temperature range for camera use is 0° C to 40° C (32° F to 104° F). Probably the same with K10D and other Pentax cameras.

If you want to use the camera in even cooler temperatures, place the camera under your jacket (next to your warm body) until needed, with it returned to the jacket immediately afterwards. Another option is a battery-operated thermo sock or bag wrapped around the camera body to keep it warm (been there, done that, works pretty good).

However, I now just leave whichever camera I'm using in the camera bag, with a chemical-based pocket warmer (HotHands-2 Hand Warmers - about $1 each, good for 6-8 hours) draped over it, with the flap unzipped (but snapped) to allow moisture to equalize, until I'm ready to take a picture. Of course, I also use hand warmers in a jacket pocket to keep my own hands warm as well.

stewart
01-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
You didn't say exactly how cold, so just consider this general advice...

K20D owners manual, page 4: The temperature range for camera use is 0° C to 40° C (32° F to 104° F). Probably the same with K10D and other Pentax cameras.

If you want to use the camera in even cooler temperatures, place the camera under your jacket (next to your warm body) until needed, with it returned to the jacket immediately afterwards. Another option is a battery-operated thermo sock or bag wrapped around the camera body to keep it warm (been there, done that, works pretty good).

However, I now just leave whichever camera I'm using in the camera bag, with a chemical-based pocket warmer (HotHands-2 Hand Warmers - about $1 each, good for 6-8 hours) draped over it, with the flap unzipped (but snapped) to allow moisture to equalize, until I'm ready to take a picture. Of course, I also use hand warmers in a jacket pocket to keep my own hands warm as well.

stewart
finally someone other than myself points that out...

there's a reason why there's a temperature range... heh
01-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote

I never read that part of the manual, so I've shot as far down as -18C with the K20D without problems. Here are some reasent shots at about -10C: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/45982-fifty-minus-10-below-freezing.html

I did get some strange bands in the transfer from the camera to the laptop on one occasion, but that turned out to be the card reader that was so old that it could not handle cards bigger than 1GB or 2GB or something like that. Since I changed card reader I have had no troubles.
01-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
thomps6s

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
finally someone other than myself points that out...

there's a reason why there's a temperature range... heh

I am sure almost every camera manual says that.
Being from Northern, MN I know several people that shoot in -0 conditions without issue. I shot in frigid conditions for hours on many occasions with my k10D without issue.
Of course it could be the cold, but I am hoping it is just a faulty card as I rely on my camera to shoot in cold conditions.
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For another data point, I did 20F testing this weekend for about an hour w/o problems on my new K20D. There was quite a bit of condensation on the outside after I got back in, but no issues.
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
thomps6s

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
For another data point, I did 20F testing this weekend for about an hour w/o problems on my new K20D. There was quite a bit of condensation on the outside after I got back in, but no issues.

Make sure you keep it in a plastic bag until it comes back up to room temperature.
01-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

This day was 3°F (-16°C) with the *istDL. Camera was in my hand the whole time out in the "elements" with no issues except the expected quick battery life. I have yet to take the K20D out in sub-freezing yet.