Veteran Member

Me too. Who supplies the models?

04-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

OH YES!!. COUNT ME IN, TOO.
04-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have no lights but would love to learn something some of the mysteries of lighting. Thanks for the offer.
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I would also be interested.... sounds like this might be a pretty big workshop!

04-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
wll
Veteran Member

I'm very interested.

wll
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just Got Back..Sorry

Ok..I will start by asking those who are interested in doing Fashion to read this article first. I will attempt to answer as many questions as possible with the caveat that you all look at published photographers no matter what the venue you may be interested in whether Architectural, Interiors, Landscape, Portrait, Fashion, Still Life etc.

They are published because they are not great technicians. That is a "Given" minimum requirement. It is the uniqueness of "How" they see reality. An unencumbered view of reality, even if they are F---ED up they are still expressing themselves without the fear of showing their true colours. That is what makes an artist an artist.

OK?

http://www.180mag.ca/0704/kanarek/kanarek.html
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come On....

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Me too. Who supplies the models?
Come on...Are you Kidding?

Model Agencies..Of Course.

04-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I'm in Ben. The more you want to teach the more I want to learn.
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One Techique from my "Diva" Shoot

Please find attached a "Plan" and "Elevation" representing what I did to do the "Diva" shoot at the following link: 6 Images in series. Still life shot on a small sheet of Plexiglas. Only lit from bellow with two pilot lights corrected with a "Full Blue" gelatin filter on each light, lit from behind and below the object and using an 1' square piece of cardboard covered in aluminum foil to reflect the light on to the object. Shot at about 1/2 second on a tripod no flash.

http://anashcreation.com/thenashgallery/BenjaminKanarek/double02?full=1

Last edited by benjikan; 05-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.
04-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Ben I would be very interested

not only would I like to learn more lighting technics, but I would also like to
I hope you start with basic natural light, as it is the most affordable.... I can't afford studio equipment, but would like to in the future (but would still enjoy learing that to for when the time comes)

What I think is just as important as getting great results from lighting is getting consistant results... aka a light meter, or possibly the built in reflective meter in the camera, although I know the former is more suitable using incident light readings.... I never used one but would like to know how...

thanks very much for offering this to us!

cheers

randy
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I read your article. Very interesting.

Funnily enough I used to read Citizen K a few years ago whilst at college. I was really blown away by .. well everything about the magazine really.. I haven't seen a copy in years. I'll look out for it again.. not seen it in any shops in London recently though...

I think there are many similarly cutting edge/independent magazines nowadays too hey. And with many differing styles too. For example, as well as your type of 'haute couture/fine art photography'? I also enjoy the kind you see in magazines such as Vice. More raw/'real' stuff... I'm a big fan of a Martin Parr type style being used in fashion photography for example. I don't know how technically talented these photographers are compared to you... but it's achieving photographs that can be thought of as art that's important like you say.
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I think that most people on the forum won't have access to models, makeup, stylists, proper lighting etc. More likely a borrowed girlfriend/wife/daugher/friend, a couple of desk lamps and a lot of playing around with white balance on RAW files!?

Would everyone agree with that?

Then there's the studio hire route... (studios are fully equiped with most of the stuff you would need and usually a supervisor to point you towards teh equipment you need and help a little with the wokrings of their brand of lighting etc ... for those of you who didn't know that).

But... I employ photographers, models etc for my work as an art director... I have easy access to these people, studios, equipment... in theory... but still I couldn't imagine being able to fork out the money to use them for a personal hobby/project.

I guess with a lot of planning I could gather budding/'starting out' models, make up artists, stylists, fashion designers etc who would be willing to to do it all for free for the mutual benefit all their portfolios... but for them to do that for an amateur photographer like me would be a great risk for all those concerned. And there's still the issue of sudio/equipment hire. And of course there's knowing how to use all the lights/flashes etc... a studio manager might not be that patient with a newbie asking how EVERYTHING works.

Now if I could get the aid of a willing photographers' assistant to guide me through how all the lights/flashes work that might help. Or a patient professional photographer friend even!?

I could pay more attention to how the equipment works when I'm on shoots I guess... I do know quite a bit already from my experiences on shoots... but everyone's always so busy trying to get everything done for me to start asking about how everything works in detail...

But hey... I could hire a studio... it's like £400 a day or so... might be worth it... maybe we'll get SHA (studio hiring addiction?) instead of LBA? I mean.. how many lenses do we need? Spending money on studios/models is just as important a way of spending money on your art as buying new lenses I guess!?

What do you think? Maybe this is where joining your our local photography clubs would come in useful? Sharing the cost of it all...
04-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Will there be travelling involved? I have always wanted to go to France. I guess I should order my K10D now huh...
04-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lighting tip for those with tight budgets (or no budget, like me).

I have 5 lights, only one of them was expensive and that was the Pentax 540fgz. The others are; one Vivitar 285HV ($40 used), two Vivitar 283(s) (under $40 used), and one K-Mart Focal brand flash. I have three light stands and about 5 umbrellas.

The key is, you can have a 3 light set up for around $100 if you do it right. Light modifiers and extras can come later. You don't need lots of money to get started, just some great ideas like the ones Ben is sharing.
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On Site Tutorials

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Will there be travelling involved? I have always wanted to go to France. I guess I should order my K10D now huh...
Hi;

As I stated earlier in the post. We are talking about "Online PentaxForums" Tutorials...No..Not necessary to fly to France. I wouldn't have the time..Sorry

Ben