Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x white, how is it?

Anyone have hands on experience with the white model. I have the K-x Black with 200mm kit, but tempting to return it to get just the single lens kit white model, then save up for a nicer zoom, like a 18-250mm Tamron, or even just the 300mm Pentax that I here is better than the 200mm.

I have 40 minutes until I lose a chance to overnight a white model before a big trip down to LA.

Some how, I think as a non-professional, suddenly carrying around a black slr, it looks intimidating. So I wonder if if the white one would carry less stigma, maybe even draw good attention as a conversation piece as you take photos. I'm sure this could be a whole debate. Maybe walking around with a black pro looking camera could cause less of a reaction from someone as you may look more like an artist, while a point and shoot could seem like invasion of personal space. It could go either way I guess.

But I do sort of like the white look beyond all that. Though, it's hard to tell from press studio photos online how it looks in person. If it looks cheap, does get dirty fast, etc.

I can still return my black K-x with no stocking fee.

11-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The white camera looks beautiful!. Sorry about these lousy photos -- taken by myself. The camera looks much better than these photos)

And it matches other color lenses pretty well too

Here is a comparison against friend's black version:

11-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
cool!
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for those photos. I've been searching for stuff like that. It looks great. Maybe a shot with some white eneloops too would sweeten it.

Though, I hesitated as I got into work, watching the 5 minutes left at Amazon to order to get it by tomorrow. But some business came up, and I lost my opportunity. Wish I could some how get it before I leave early Friday morning for a trip, but nothing I could do.

I may still order it anyway, but no rush now.

Thanks again.

11-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Frank, I am onto the final push for the Pentax K-x in white. Do you know about a safe way in cleaning the white body. Unlike the darker bodies, smudges is much a concern for me and perhaps many others. If you have the user menu, do you recall a section that mention about cleaning kit that are safe for the Pentax precious bodies.

And Frank, if you say those are the lousy snapshots of the K-x, I don't know what is better. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Hin
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Frank, I am onto the final push for the Pentax K-x in white. Do you know about a safe way in cleaning the white body. Unlike the darker bodies, smudges is much a concern for me and perhaps many others. If you have the user menu, do you recall a section that mention about cleaning kit that are safe for the Pentax precious bodies.

And Frank, if you say those are the lousy snapshots of the K-x, I don't know what is better. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Hin
Hi Hin, I haven't seen any words about how to clean the white camera. But seems it's pretty easy to clean 'cause the white surface is gloss. Don't feel it'd scratch easily, but the paint might come off along the way, even a black body would have the same problem.

Quite a few guys have been using the white K-m for over a year, never seen any complaint about the dirt or scratch yet. So I guess it's not a big problem?

And thanks for your kinda comments about the photos. But what I said is true, the camera does look better than those photos

Cheers!
11-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I noticed there's a k2000 white model, which even had a 2 lens kit with a white zoom lens. I wonder if there were any reports on that model too. I was worried about white after seeing what happens to Mac products that are white, where it just builds up an off white dirty color in the most touched areas.

Oh, do you say the body has a smooth finish? Not like the black model that has a bit of a bump texture to it?

It could be possible to have it delivered to the hotel I'm staying at. Hmm.

Last edited by TimothyB; 11-18-2009 at 10:47 PM.
11-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

yep, finish is smooth.

I emailed Pentax about smudging and tinting from the white K2000 model, they said they hadn't heard any complaints and its resistant.

The white K-x is outstanding in person!
11-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's glossy? Yuck.
11-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not exactly glossy, kind of in between - you have to see it to know what you really think - it is not the ideal finish, but looks very good and doesn't show smudging as far as I can tell so far.
11-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think frank just wanted to show off his fancy lenses.
11-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
man, that looks sweet...mine comes in tomorrow

cheers
11-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It doesn't reflect like or blind anyone, but doesn't have the bumps of the black cameras.
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
It's glossy? Yuck.
As some said above, it's not totally glossy. The surface is smooth, but it doesn't attract smudge as easily as iphone/ipod. And it certainly will not get scratched as easily as those white notebook computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I think frank just wanted to show off his fancy lenses.
Hehe, you got that right
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TimothyB Quote
I noticed there's a k2000 white model, which even had a 2 lens kit with a white zoom lens. I wonder if there were any reports on that model too. I was worried about white after seeing what happens to Mac products that are white, where it just builds up an off white dirty color in the most touched areas.

Oh, do you say the body has a smooth finish? Not like the black model that has a bit of a bump texture to it?

It could be possible to have it delivered to the hotel I'm staying at. Hmm.
I don't think it will build up a discoloration at the most touched areas because on a laptop, you constantly move your hand for the touchpad and keyboard. At least thats why my silver colored laptop looks so ugly.

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-19-2009 at 11:09 PM.