Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

K7 interval shooting - why the 99 images limit?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

The K7's 'interval shooting' feature is awesome - I've started getting into time-lapse stuff and it's really handy.

..Buuuuuut.... Why the seemingly arbitrary limit of only 99 images? Why not 999? or even 'infinite' (fill the card)?

Sure, you can just restart the sequence - but I've lost a bit of continuity messing around with it, and it means you can't just set-and-forget.

Is there some way we can rally together and encourage Pentax to address this in a subsequent firmware update?

.. It just seems like such a simple thing, and so easily fixable..

Cheers
Jeremy

12-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's been 99 since the release of K20D, so almost for 2 years now. I don't think it's gonna go away any time soon, and it's keeping me from shooting timelapse.
12-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my K10D I had no function for interval shooting so I bought a wire release that controls it all from the control it self, and it works wonders. This is the on I bought, and it's as good a build quality as the Pentax wire release, has the same funtionality on the button ( push or push and shove to hold), but you also have an LCD with options for timed delay, how long the exposure should be (for Bulb, 1 second to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds) and interval. It's really a great wire release, and cheap

Timer Remote Control for Canon 350D 450D 500D Pentax... - eBay (item 230410671609 end time Dec-20-09 05:05:40 PST)

Edit: It can do interval of between 1 to 399 images or unlimited, so it's very good for time lapse.
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
It's been 99 since the release of K20D, so almost for 2 years now. I don't think it's gonna go away any time soon, and it's keeping me from shooting timelapse.
Oh, I wasn't aware the K20D had this feature - hmm. Is there any good reason for the limitation? Is it perhaps to sell some Pentax accessory?

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
With my K10D I had no function for interval shooting so I bought a wire release that controls it all from the control it self, and it works wonders.
I've seen similar ones, and am considering building one myself (whipped up a simple one for a time-lapse I did the other week).

Thanks for the link. I might buy one in the meantime, though it seems a shame to.

Back to my original post - is there any way to present this to Pentax and see if they could engineer it into future firmware?

12-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there something like that which uses infrared so that I can control time lapse on my K-m?
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
With my K10D I had no function for interval shooting so I bought a wire release that controls it all from the control it self, and it works wonders. This is the on I bought, and it's as good a build quality as the Pentax wire release, has the same funtionality on the button ( push or push and shove to hold), but you also have an LCD with options for timed delay, how long the exposure should be (for Bulb, 1 second to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds) and interval. It's really a great wire release, and cheap

Timer Remote Control for Canon 350D 450D 500D Pentax... - eBay (item 230410671609 end time Dec-20-09 05:05:40 PST)

Edit: It can do interval of between 1 to 399 images or unlimited, so it's very good for time lapse.
I bought a slightly diffferent model:

Timer Shutter Release Cord TC-80 for Pentax K20D K200 - eBay (item 320438285833 end time Nov-19-09 07:00:22 PST)

They both are from Hong Kong but different sellers. Mine cost $35 and one of the best purchases i've made.

Works very easily and has the plus that if the internal battery goes dead, you can contiue to use it as a simple shutter release in B mode. It also allows locking of shutter in B mode. I carry it with me all the time. A gray whale was surfacing in the same area, i just positioned the tele on that area and watched with my fingers on the controller, snapping off pictures without disturbing the tripod. Love it. Looks much larger than it is, easy to carry and use.

works up to 99 hours and no limit on number of intervals, i believe.
12-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #7

Sounds like mine. They're great. I'll keep mine even though I've just sold the K10D, hoping that the K30D will support it :P

Mine is quite big, very good to hold.

12-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
My Pentax Optio W60 is currently set to 890 shots for Interval Shooting. Methinks a firmware update is needed for the K7. I was disappointed with the 99 limit.

12-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
I wrote a quick email to the Australian distributor (C.R. Kennedy) with some K7 firmware suggestions including the above suggestion and got a reply back from Mr. Kennedy himself (on boxing day!) saying he'd forwarded my email to Pentax Japan.
12-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremyhall Quote
I wrote a quick email to the Australian distributor (C.R. Kennedy) with some K7 firmware suggestions including the above suggestion and got a reply back from Mr. Kennedy himself (on boxing day!) saying he'd forwarded my email to Pentax Japan.
Jeremy,
I have been also in contact directly with C.R. Kennedy regarding Pentax and Sigma gears. I have beeen very impressed by their helpful and speedy assistance.
12-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Is there something like that which uses infrared so that I can control time lapse on my K-m?
I just ran across this device and it says it does IR along with wired. The IR feature is oriented towards the older *ist Pentax line, however Pentax's own IR controller works across all models (the *ist and the K model cameras), so I would think that this should also work, however I would either call or email them a question.

Pclix LT Introduction and click on compatible camera models
Pclix LT Custom Cables Look at the first table.

It looks like they have cables that run from the unit to someplace near the IR sensor on the camera, but that is only a guess.

Its a tad expensive, however it appears that this may be a solution for time lapsed photography with the KX and KM/2000.

12-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #12

interested_observer: Wow, thank you for this list! I have been looking for something to do what my wire release with a timer does. This is just great
12-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pclix and IR support for Pentax KX

Morning, I emailed Pclix a question and here is their reply

Hello,

First off, thanks very much for your message and also for your interest in my product the Pclix LT. In answer to your questions I would say the following. Your camera the Pentax KX can only be triggered using infrared light which the Pclix is able to do. We sell our C-100 optical infrared cable ($22 USD) which is compatible with the Pentax KX and all other cameras which are also triggered using infrared light. Basically the cable at one end plugs into the Pclix while the other gets taped directly overtop of the infrared receiver on your camera. Not using a bad-aid as you suggest but a few small pieces of black electrical tape. The advantage to the black tape is that it is fully opaque and leaves no visible trace once removed. I have hundreds of clients using this exact setup all over the world with great success. If you would like to speak on the phone regarding the use of the Pclix with your Pentax KX I would be more than happy to do so. I'll add this camera model to the website in the next few days, thanks for pointing this model out. If you have any other questions email anytime or call me in Toronto, Canada (EST) at 1-416-948-3081. Thanks again. Hope all is well

ciao
paul cormack
Timelapse Photography using the Pclix LT and the digital camera you already own.

please visit our user gallery
Pclix LT Time-lapse User Gallery

visit Pclix on Facebook

On 2009-12-26, at 12:33 PM, wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Just a question and a possible suggestion. Pentax in their infinite wisdom has chosen to only have IR support on their KX model - for remote control. I see that Pclix supports IR for the Pentax *ist line. Pentax's IR unit is supported across its entire camera body line (*ist through the K bodies). So does the Pclix support the K line, i.e., the KX?
>
> If so, could you update your website with some information to that effect, and include some details on how the unit works in the IR mode? In particular the IR connection to the camera. I see you have IR cables, but how do they connect with the camera - a band-aid holding the cable over the IR sensor or ...??
>
> Thanks,