Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
HELP - Pentax K-x HDR technique

Hi pentax k-x users

need help on taking better pictures with the HDR function

I cannot seem to get my picture like the other amazing HDR pictures out there.

am i doing it wrong?

share me your tricks

thanks in advance

12-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

how about some examples? without seeing, a tripod is the obvious 1st step. the scene would also need to be high contrast (with shade and brighter highlights) - the point of HDR being to bring out the details in a higher range of contrasting areas within the image. So, without some examples we can't really be of any help!
12-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
how about some examples? without seeing, a tripod is the obvious 1st step. the scene would also need to be high contrast (with shade and brighter highlights) - the point of HDR being to bring out the details in a higher range of contrasting areas within the image. So, without some examples we can't really be of any help!
that's true

i'll post something when i get back home later tonight.
thanks again
02-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

You are not going to see the same results with the Pentax k-x's built in HDR as you would a Photomatix tone-mapped HDR image. I actually just wrote a post about this on my blog and compared a normal jpeg, a pentax K-x HDR, and an auto-bracketed Photomatix tone-mapped HDR. Check it out here. I also wrote a brief tutorial about using photomatix and the Pentax K-x. Check that out here.
Anyways, the Pentax HDR mode is nice, but I haven't seen any real stunning examples while using it. I still make all my HDR images in post production.
Hope that helps!

02-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #5

I like the built in HDR ... many hdr that are done in PP often have cartoon colors, which I don't care for at all. The K-x, at HDR level 1 does a nice job expanding its range, without making it look like a cartoon. at level 2, you start getting silly.

check out this gallery of hdr landscapes taking during a particularly beautiful sunset a few weeks ago:

Picasa Web Albums - Gordon M - HDR at the Beach

There are a few in there that look a bit cartoonish, but they're not - the colors were actually that rich, it was a great day.

02-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Simply knowing how to produce an HDR (or any other) kind of image doesn't necessarily guarantee a breathtaking result. It's how you compose a shot and what the subject matter is that creates a memorable and very pleasing photograph. Shooting a brick wall in HDR mode only gets you a brick wall. (example only).

Remember, the camera doesn't do all the work for you, it's simply a tool and in the right hands, can only do as much as the Photographer's know how.

Jason
02-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #7

I like hdr as well, but I have only used the incamera hdr on my kx to show people how inadequate it is. It is just an extention on dynamic exposure compensation and I find it cartoon like or very chalky at any setting. I have managed to convince someone they do not need to upgrade just to get hdr incamera, as they thought that would be the feature they would use the most. You are much better off using DynamicPhoto HDR or Photomatix pro to tonemap a set of bracketed exposures than do anything in camera. Results from the camerea are pretty drab and flat. Even a tonemapped single raw image seems to be better than the incamera results. Now if the camera would combine images to create a proper 32 bit hdr image, that would be a whole different matter! Get the exposures and subject sorted and do it in pp for best results.

02-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
guys. thanks for the specific how to for pentax k-x camera. really helped a lot. now all i gotta do is to snaps more
10-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Try this:)

I found this link online doing a search on how to shoot Hdr with a Pentax K-X.
Shows you step by step on how to Shoot true Hdr

How to take photos with the Pentax K-x | kxuser.com
10-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-x HDR

I have a k-x but I have not used the built in HDR function yet; primarily because it takes too many settings in menu to turn it on . I shoot in raw, and to me, tone mapping the image later in photomatix seems more non-intrusive.

Regardless of the method (in camera, or photomatix), a couple of things that will help with the final result are:
1. Light - rule of the thumb here is to shoot in the golden hour because thats when you have the softest light.
2. Should have shadows and highlights in the image.

The image below was taken by k-x and then tone-mapped in photomatix. It was shot early in the morning.

10-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax3344 Quote
I found this link online doing a search on how to shoot Hdr with a Pentax K-X.
Shows you step by step on how to Shoot true Hdr

How to take photos with the Pentax K-x | kxuser.com

How the hell did you do that as HDR with such a fast-moving subject?
11-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

How the hell did you do that as HDR with such a fast-moving subject?
Good question, I'm trying to get descent results with landscapes.
11-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #13

If you shoot in raw it's easy to make a duplicate with + 1ev...
When you make a -2 -1 0 +1 +2 through Pentax digital camera utility and then put
them together with eachother you'll get an hdr with only 1 real picture.

Maybe not as nice as a real hdr but you still get nice results