Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

35mm film processing

What does everyone think of the labs that now do 35mm film processing.

I thought qualex did a great job at the local supermarket, qualex
stopped processing film in 2009.

Maybe i will try the cvs drug store, some stores have a photo lab,
i have no experence with them, they may only do digital now.

Dwaynes photo, ks processes mail-in film, 6/20/11 - I had 1 35mm roll processed at Dwaynes, there FUJI prints are very good quality,
on the dark side, I will try the Pentax ZX-M next time, I will also try a KODAK film processor.

Dale labs, fl also process mail-in film, seem to be expensive.

Kodak Information and Technical Support

We received your inquiry regarding the processing of your 35mm film and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

As you may know, Kodak has discontinued wholesale photofinishing and has now closed its three remaining photofinishing laboratories in the U.S. and Canada, which were operated by its subsidiary company, Qualex, Inc. Kodak will continue operation of another Qualex division, Event Imaging Solutions, Inc., which offers themed picture taking at malls, theme parks, and special events.

While the list below has not yet been completed, the following labs should be able to assist you directly with your photofinishing needs:

CVS, HEB, Hy-Vee, Jewel, Kroger, Meijer, Osco, SuperValu/Albertsons, and Target.
Providing other manufacturer sources does not imply a recommendation by Eastman Kodak Company, nor reflect upon the quality of the products and services offered.
Lastly, if you should need further assistance, we can only suggest searching the Internet, as we have no other referrals to provide.

Thank you for your time. If you should have future questions on Kodak products or services, please feel free to visit our Web site at www.kodak.com where we are continually adding new information to enhance our service. You may also wish to call our toll-free number at 800-242-2424. Our representatives are available to speak with you Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.

Last edited by CACTUS24; 06-26-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: UPDATE
03-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Walmart and Costco.
Kristian
03-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that this applies to you (living south of the boarder) but the Shopper's always has done a good job for me. Although they don't do it in the drug store, they mail it to Montreal. However, this being said I take all of my MF film to a local shop (Bell Arte) and they can do just about anything I need (except push processing but for that I have small local shop)
03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Walmart and Costco.
Kristian

I second the vote for Costco. I don't shoot much film anymore, but my local Costco photo dept. is staffed by some women who seem to know what they are doing, and care enough to keep the film processor clean and the chemicals replenished.

Unless you're willing to pay really big bucks for traditional dip-and-dunk film processing, your film is going to go through pretty much the same processing machine that is used at any one-hour photo place. The difference between a good one and a bad one is how they maintain the machine and chemicals.

If the rollers are cleaned regularly, you're less likely to have scratches on your negatives. If the chemicals are replenished regularly, the processing will be consistent.

The only drawback to most any one-hour lab, is that they all scan the negatives, usually at about 6MP, which is usually less than the resolution available on a good emulsion, properly exposed. That's the trouble with digital vs. film comparisons; almost no one does optical enlargements anymore. Trying to compare a 10 or 12MP digital image to a 6MP scan of a 35mm negative just isn't a proper comparison.

Costco is also very affordable. I think that a 24 exposure roll of C-41 film, with 4x6 prints only costs about $6. When their machine was broken, I took a roll to Walgreens, who charged over $11.

03-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I echo the thought that it may not be the machinery but the people. I have a developer at a local grocery chain who seems passionate about her work and wants to do good work. You just know those people when you see them.
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about mail order?

Most local independent minilabs here are gone now. I can't justify a Costco membership.
I'm not a big fan of the chain drugstores or Walmart. I don't mind mailing my film away.
Are there any decent inexpensive mail order labs, preferably on the East Coast?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-21-2011 at 11:48 AM.
03-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

I develop my own b&w films and now I develop my C-41 films too. There are no reliable or economical options for me where I live. It would cost me about $20 per roll for C-41 processing locally or through mail-order. Fortunately, I find developing C-41 quite easy and I can ensure beautiful and clean negatives. I use the K2 Unicolor kit. It costs me approximately $2 per roll of 35mm or 120. About $1 per sheet of 4x5 film.

03-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Costco does a good job, but some locations are discontinuing film service (the one near me is) and I've just sent off a roll to Blue Moon Camera and Machine in Portland, Oregon. They develop by machine but (as I understand) do optical prints. It's 3$ a roll and something like 40 c per print. Not a bad rate, and they're quite pleasant to deal with. I buy film and chemistry from them, but this is the first time I've had them do developing. I expect, given their dedication, that they keep the machinery and chemistry in working order, which, combined with optical printing, should give good results.
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #9

Hey , Simian good to see you put in a plug for Robert and the Guys .
They are truly a fine group and are eager to please.
03-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nando Quote
I develop my own b&w films and now I develop my C-41 films too. There are no reliable or economical options for me where I live. It would cost me about $20 per roll for C-41 processing locally or through mail-order. Fortunately, I find developing C-41 quite easy and I can ensure beautiful and clean negatives. I use the K2 Unicolor kit. It costs me approximately $2 per roll of 35mm or 120. About $1 per sheet of 4x5 film.
If you can find the space for it, I agree that C41 is not difficult at all. I did my own almost weekly in the 80s. If I just had a mop sink in my laundry room, I'd be set. Freestyle is starting to offer a good many options.

E6 was another matter. I never got into processing slides. Partly, it is because the slide is the final product, and any mistake that even slightly affects color is not easily correctable at another stage.

As long as Costo will soup C41 for less than the cost to me of the chemicals, I'm not too tempted.