2CR5
Battery grip/pack
No
Size (W x H x D)
152 x 95.5 x 74 mm
Weight
650 g
Comment
Program modes: Normal, Action, Depth of field, MTF.
Extra flash function: Contrast control

Last edited by Ole; 05-06-2010 at 10:19 PM.
05-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

A great SLR indeed! Lots of innovative features for its time and really great ergonomics.

My big question is, why couldn't they fit the PZ-1p's 1/8000s / 1/250s sync shutter into one of the new dSLRS?
05-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the K10D and a few lenses that fit fullframe sensors as well, so it fit well when I wanted a film SLR as well.

This camera has great ergonomics and great specs all around. Definitely a good camera, one that I would gladly recommend to others.
06-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMO, the best Pentax AF SLR. Fits like a glove in your hand, there isn't a better body for handling in their entire history, DSLR's included. No need for a battery grip with the chunky grip already there. Specs are awesome with many things better than the MZ-S (flash sync speed, shutter speed, fps, exp. compensation, built-in flash GN), and also includes things the MZ-S never got, like panorama capability and flash exp. compensation (love this feature). Well built and little problems over years of owning this. An absolute must if you want the best AF Pentax film camera.

06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Love it

Just love this camera. It's the reason I still use film.
Just had a FA 20 and wiiiiiiide angles.
Just wish I had a manual in english. The german is so hard to understand.
Regards,
Luis

Edit: here it is- Try http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/PZ-1p.pdf
03-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PZ-1p impressions (comparing to K10D & ZX-L)

PZ-1p is my first and most favorite Pentax AF camera. I have had it for almost 10 years and it still functions like new. My biggest praise to PZ-1p are fast/professional handling and AF.

Here I list some pros (IMO) on PZ-1p vs. K10D & ZX-L that I also have.
1. AF:
1) AF on PZ-1p is noticeably faster than on K10D.
2) It gives me the feeling that focus is sucked to the object, fast & decisive. On K10D, I just don't have that feeling. It just gives me the similar feel as ZX-L gives (maybe a little faster than ZX-L?).
3) Low light AF speed is better on PZ-1p. However, in some occasion, PZ-1p can't reach focus while K10D can (in auto AF point selection mode).
4) In almost all situations, AF on K10D gives me the feeling that it has more hesitation than PZ-1p, even though may not be much.
2. Handling:
1) Very comfort in hand than K10D or ZX-L. The hand grip is bigger. Shutter button is under front dial wheel rather than above it. So, when holding a PZ-1p, your index finger naturally stays on shutter button. As the result, IMO, pressing shutter button is causing less camera shake.
2) Changing mode is faster.
3) Metering mode is displayed in view finder. (K10D doesn't.)
4) Maybe it just my feeling, PZ-1p feels more responsive. More responsive than K10D even when changing Av or Tv values through dial wheels. K10D's dial wheel aren't just as smooth nor as quick.
3. Lens support:
1) PZ-1p fully supports K & M lens in Av mode. K10D doesn't (changing to M mode & pressing green button are annoying, IMO.)
2) Viewfinder is brighter and more contrasty than K10D. Manual focus is easier.
4. Feeling:
PZ-1p , when used, give me the feeling of quicker, more responsive, and less toy-like. I'm not say K10D is bad in these regards but it just falls short when comparing to PZ-1p. When shooting events, PZ-1p definitely handles faster than K10D (AF, changing mode, etc.). I hope K7 can give me the same feeling.
Cons for PZ-1p:
1. Rewind motor is loud and noisy!
2. Bottom plate crack near battery door is common. But the crack is only isolated there and eventually a small piece falls out (although mine hasn't). On the good side, this doesn't hurt any functions other than just a cosmetic issue.
3. Single AF point but that is enough to me. I mostly only use center AF point on K10D any way.
4. 2CR5 battery for PZ-1p was expensive then. (But now you can get them super cheap on clearance deals.)
5. Not DSLR :-)

All in all, PZ-1p is a great camera with pro grade handling & performance.
12-02-2010, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Z-1p/PZ-1p Camera Review

Pros Fast shutter speed, compatible with film and digital lenses (to a degree), lots of options and settings, dual wheel dials (like the K-7)
Cons A bit loud on the shutter, no AA battery grip available, loud rewind
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $100
Years Owned Less than a year

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
A well built tank of a camera that is loaded with features. Feels like a very professional camera.

Camera Review
I actually borrowed this camera a couple of times from numerous pentax friends before going on the hunt to find one myself. All I can say is that: if you're looking for a very capable, sturdy and dependable film camera with a crazy amount of features, pick one of these up for yourself.

Features that have really come in handy for me:
-Hyper Program mode
-DOF preview
-Film rewind options (manual or automatic)
-Maximum shutter speed of 1/8000th!!!
-Ability to use DA lenses on Aperture Priority (Av) mode.
-Dual wheel dials
-Nice large viewfinder.
-Horizontal lines in the viewfinder help me keep my horizons straight!

Who is this camera for:
Those who need a tough son-of-a-gun, flexible, very customizable (programming wise) full frame 35mm film SLR that makes you feel like you're holding Pentax Old School Awesomeness in your hand.

Who this camera is not for:
Those who are looking for a lightweight film SLR or a film SLR with a AA battery grip. Look to the MZ series for that.
Those who are looking for multiple autofocus points - this camera only have central focus point (although I usually focus and recompose).

I ended up finding a great deal on my camera and picked it up as soon as I could. This camera is with me almost all the time as a companion to my Pentax 645 film Medium Format camera.

If you're serious about film photography and you love Pentax lenses and need a camera that will just get the job done (and feel like it will), buy this camera. I dickered around for a bit before splurging on one but am so glad I did.

Closed Thread