Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which current ring flash would you choose?
Pentax AF160FC 952.94%
Metz 15 MS-1 211.76%
Another ring flash (describe) 423.53%
I wouldn't buy a ring flash. 211.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ring Flashes: Pentax AF160FC vs Metz 15 MS-1

If you are in the market for a ring flash for macro work, which current ring flash have/would you choose and why?

Pentax AF160FC

AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Metz 15 MS-1

Product information: Metz

06-04-2010, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
for me it's all about quality of light, the metz has smaller flash tubes therefore the shadows are much harder. the Pentax AF160FC has dual 120mm semi-toriodal flash tubes with a diffuser built in on top of them... it produces soft, even light.

AF160FC is the clear winner in terms of light quality - ignore all the bells and whistles it's the quality of light that REALLY matters.Though the subject matter you intend to use also has a impact on what will suit your needs best.

however If I want to use harder light, I just use two AF540FGZs at an oblique angle and it's done, or I mix in some of the ringflash to fill in the shadows. Ring flashes produce a very distinctive look and they are Very useful for portraiture.There is also the question of the filter diameter the lens you are planning on using it with.

There are a few macro/wildlife shots taken with the pentax ring flash in my gallery...take a look

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.
06-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From the limited info I can see, it looks as though the Pentax is up to 67mm and the Metz is up to 72. Sadly, neither one is 77.
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I chose the Metz knowing that it is essentially a twin flash unit as opposed to a true ringlight. As such, it is considerably lighter and more convenient than any other wireless TTL twin flash alternative. I wanted to shoot a Sigma EX 180/3.5 Macro handheld, so needed the 72mm compatibility, and with the big lens, the light weight is a definite plus. Quality of light was definitely trumped by convenience in this case. In the very limited world of available P-TTL compatible macro flashes, I saw this as my best alternative.

My requirements for macro are unusual, and probably unique. I'm primarily a birder, and wanted a lens combo that would allow both 1:1 or better macro and at least 300mm tele in the same lens. I can get this with the Sigma 180 + F1.7x AFA (306mm).

All I need to do to switch from macro to tele is close the popup flash and manually prefocus the lens to tele distances -- only about 1/4 turn with the Sigma 180. Since the Metz is so light, it doesn't hinder the swing weight or handling much in tele use. I do have to remember to open the aperture up a bit, and I'm still getting used to doing this.

Here are a couple of examples, both cropped and PP'd to taste. These are small Jumping Spiders, probably about 2-3mm long in the body. These were shot with the K20, Sigma 180/3.5 Macro + P F 1.7x AFA, and Metz 15 MS1 in Pentax wireless TTL mode, using AF C to focus, handheld. You can see the twin flash glints in the eyes of the JSs. I could, of course, clone one of the reflections out if desired.

This first guy is on a window screen to give some scale.

In this second shot, I rotated the Metz to give me a vertical twin flash setup. I biased the flash to the bottom, but probably could have eliminated the shadow under the spider by turning the top flash off, but I'm still getting used to all the lighting possibilities of this flash. . .

Scott

06-05-2010, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Why did you leave out the Sigma and Promaster?
06-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why did you leave out the Sigma and Promaster?
The Pentax and the Metz caught my eye.

Looks like the Promaster will mount on 77mm, but who knows about vignetting.

I cant see any compelling reason for the Sigma over the Metz. Same with the Promaster, other than it's inexpensive.
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought a Promaster TTL macrolume on ebay for $36, I had the Promaster 5050DXR module, $50, from a previous purchase. I had to cut off the plastic key on the 5050DXR to allow it to mount on the old Macrolume. Promaster wants people to buy the new "digital" flashes so keyed the module . Five minutes with a screw driver and an Exacto saw. Voltage is fine and I use the module with a lot of older TTL Quantaray flashes as well. I don't think there is anything more "digital" about the new Promaster or Quantaray modular flashes than this key.

This isn't that useful for macros with most macro lenses as it can't power down low enough with the old 5050DRX module I had. I have heard that the newer 5050DRX modules have corrected this, but I have no direct experience with it. I do use the flash with a Sigma AF 70-210mm 1:2 macro that puts the flash far enough away from the subject to be used. I think the distance is about 14 to 18 inches.

Thank you
Russell

06-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
The Pentax and the Metz caught my eye.

Looks like the Promaster will mount on 77mm, but who knows about vignetting.

I cant see any compelling reason for the Sigma over the Metz. Same with the Promaster, other than it's inexpensive.
Apparently you didn't look at the Sigma very close. I have it and the 77mm ring. I also have the older non-digital version of the macro-Lume and a 77mm ring via the Cokin system. Promaster uses the Cokin system for larger lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I bought a Promaster TTL macrolume on ebay for $36, I had the Promaster 5050DXR module, $50, from a previous purchase. I had to cut off the plastic key on the 5050DXR to allow it to mount on the old Macrolume. Promaster wants people to buy the new "digital" flashes so keyed the module . Five minutes with a screw driver and an Exacto saw. Voltage is fine and I use the module with a lot of older TTL Quantaray flashes as well. I don't think there is anything more "digital" about the new Promaster or Quantaray modular flashes than this key.

This isn't that useful for macros with most macro lenses as it can't power down low enough with the old 5050DRX module I had. I have heard that the newer 5050DRX modules have corrected this, but I have no direct experience with it. I do use the flash with a Sigma AF 70-210mm 1:2 macro that puts the flash far enough away from the subject to be used. I think the distance is about 14 to 18 inches.

Thank you
Russell
I didn't have to do anything to either of my modules to use the old Macrolume. I like the rings on the Sigma better but overall, I think I like the Macrolume.
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I didn't have to do anything to either of my modules to use the old Macrolume.
Which modules are you using? The Quantaray QDA-P works without modification, but doesn't give P-TTL. I don't have a digital with TTL, so I can use the QDA-P at full or 1/16, but that pretty limiting. I do like the QDA-P in Auto, but this isn't for anything macro. It is sweet when Auto is used in Tv mode on the camera with ISO on one of the e-dials. You set the shutter speed and then can use the ISO on the e-dial to cause the flash to adjust the aperture opened or closed. If you are working with the flash at longer distances this is really cool.

Thank you
Russell
06-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Which modules are you using? The Quantaray QDA-P works without modification, but doesn't give P-TTL. I don't have a digital with TTL, so I can use the QDA-P at full or 1/16, but that pretty limiting. I do like the QDA-P in Auto, but this isn't for anything macro. It is sweet when Auto is used in Tv mode on the camera with ISO on one of the e-dials. You set the shutter speed and then can use the ISO on the e-dial to cause the flash to adjust the aperture opened or closed. If you are working with the flash at longer distances this is really cool.

Thank you
Russell

I think I see what you are saying. I didn't realize it was possible to get P-ttl with this macro-lume by using a modified current module. If I can get that to happen, I may sell my Sigma.
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I chose the Metz knowing that it is essentially a twin flash unit as opposed to a true ringlight. As such, it is considerably lighter and more convenient than any other wireless TTL twin flash alternative. I wanted to shoot a Sigma EX 180/3.5 Macro handheld, so needed the 72mm compatibility,
I used a 72~67 step down ring on my sigma 180mm f/3.5 so I could use the AF160FC, and I haven't had a single problem with light fall off at all, even on full frame.

I have used it for wildlife, and it works brilliantly(pun not intended).

if the lack of any Ringflashes inability to use lenses over 77mm filter threads there isn't much you can do. Unless you buy an elinchrom battery pack and ringflash. - their ringflash can accommodate lenses with a front diameter of 105mm. but at $2500 for the whole setup you might want to re consider which lens you are planning on using with the ringflash.

incidentally, for my work I always use manual mode. I memorised the GN tables so P-TTL is rather redundant, as far as i'm concerned.

From the sigma 180mm f/3.5 and AF160FC ringflash:

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-05-2010 at 05:33 PM.
06-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice shot Digitalis I too have the Siggie 180mm Macro (great lens IMHO) and the Pentax AF-160C ringflash. I'm waiting for the stepdown ring at present, but have used the ringflash with my Tamron 90 Macro with lovely results. I won't post those pics here, as they are all clinical pics of surgical procedures - might turn a few stomachs...

I only got the ring flash a couple of months ago, and so far, I'm very impressed with it. And I DO use it on p-TTL on my K20D - works just fine!
06-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use the Sigma.. great for macro.

06-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I dunno, right at the moment in my mind the Sigma is kind of winning out due to the ability to use 77mm filter size lenses. (Thanks Blue)

Now that I understand the lighting, I see why the Pentax flash gives more uniform light, but it's maximum filter size of 62mm is a hurdle for me. I would like to be able to use this on a few lenses that have 77mm filter sizes, specifically my A*/135, but also perhaps my DA* 16-50 (more at the 50 end I expect)

The Metz is actually loosing out in my book. Other than it doesn't weigh much, it has the filter size limitations of the Pentax but not the light quality, I'd have to buy the additional filter sizes, and I still wouldn't get 77mm

The Promaster just seems all around sketchy to me. I love the idea of using the Cokin system to mount this flash, but overall, I'm unimpressed with their site and my available buying options.
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using the Sigma EM-140 for the past 9 months happily. PTTL, highly configurable, and pretty easy to find. They were half the price of the Pentax last year if you shopped around. I use the included 58mm and 55mm adapters with various step-up rings for both macro and wide angle lenses. I'll alternate between pure manual at partial power or PTTL with the K20 in M mode.

Kubota Winter 4

K20D, DA 35mm Ltd Macro, 1/20 @ f 4.5, ISO 400

Blaster

K20D, DA 21mm Ltd, 1/180 @ f 6.7, ISO 800

LitPod

K20D, Voigtlander 125mm, 1/180 @ f8, ISO 200

M