Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Impressed with the AF280T

My main flash at the moment is a Sigma EF-530 DG Super. I've always struggled with how to get consistent results with it. I'm sure a lot of it is (still) user error, but I think that says something about the current state things in the Pentax flash world.

I just received a Pentax AF280T in the mail. I'm impressed. Simple to use and consistent. It's pretty compact, has tilt/swivel, and seems powerful enough to get the job done.

A quick search on the Internet resulted in:
Put the camera in Tv or P mode and the flash in red/green auto mode.

In Tv mode, use the ISO and/or exposure compensation to control artistic aspects. For example, changing the ISO will make the aperture change. Changing the exposure compensation will do similar and allow for intentional under/over exposure.

It is simple.... and it works. I've only taken a few shots, but they all turn out properly exposed and looking good. (although I'll be curious to see how my stofen diffuser on order will change things).

I think Pentax should re-release the AF-280T with improvements like P-TTL (HSS, Rear curtain sync). If we can't have TTL, they should at least offer the awesomeness that is an auto thyristor flash!

04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked one of them up to use on my old 645 camera. I agree, it's a nice flash and seems to be build like a tank.
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I think Pentax should re-release the AF-280T with improvements like P-TTL (HSS, Rear curtain sync). If we can't have TTL, they should at least offer the awesomeness that is an auto thyristor flash!
Note that the current Pentax 540 and 360 do have auto mode. The problems are:

1. There is no communication (e.g. ISO and aperture settings) between the flash and the camera when the flash is out of p-TTL mode. I think Metz is better in this respect. Metz flashes, I read, can read the ISO and aperture settings on the camera.

2. The 540 and 360 don't remember the last settings. When powered up, they default to p-TTL.

There is nothing wrong with p-TTL. What's wrong is the assumption of Pentax designers that people should ALWAYS use it.
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
It is simple.... and it works. I've only taken a few shots, but they all turn out properly exposed and looking good. (although I'll be curious to see how my stofen diffuser on order will change things).
The stofen diffuser works very well with this flash. I use one with mine everytime I use the flash.

04-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
The stofen diffuser works very well with this flash. I use one with mine everytime I use the flash.
Great, thanks for the information.
04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I think Metz is better in this respect. Metz flashes, I read, can read the ISO and aperture settings on the camera.

2. The 540 and 360 don't remember the last settings. When powered up, they default to p-TTL.
I just checked this with my K20d & Metz 58 AF-2. You read correctly, the Metz does get this info from the camera, it also does remember what mode it was powered down in. Quite useful.

Michael
04-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I also acquired a used 280T and am happy with it. I'm a little suspicious of the durability of the battery compartment cover, but otherwise have no complaints.

Paul

04-30-2011, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I love how reliable the AF280T is. It's also well built, with full tilt/swivel. However, I feel it's a little underpowered, and it lacks an AF lamp, a zoom head, and the ability to work with filters (you need PTTL for that).

That's why I just purchased a Sigma 530 ST DG. I'm still learning how to use it, and PTTL does work differently than auto, nut it's still an excellent tool. I doubt I'll keep the AF280T long.
04-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I love how reliable the AF280T is. It's also well built, with full tilt/swivel. However, I feel it's a little underpowered, and it lacks an AF lamp, a zoom head, and the ability to work with filters (you need PTTL for that).

That's why I just purchased a Sigma 530 ST DG. I'm still learning how to use it, and PTTL does work differently than auto, nut it's still an excellent tool. I doubt I'll keep the AF280T long.
AF280T has a lot going for it, fast to use and simple, auto thryster control, etc., but i confess i don't use mine much anymore. the problem: 280t only has 2 power levels, high and low or some such. my metz 48 goes from 1/1 to 1/128 in manual power levels, much more finite control for artistic shots. for portraits, 280t is fine, but i really like more control. 1/128 is more than most people need but high and low don't cut it for me anymore. IMO
04-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
That's one of the reasons I love the old flashes with sliding switches. They always default to exactly how I left them. I've never understood why flashes have to have LED displays and to have adjustments made through menus.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I also acquired a used 280T and am happy with it. I'm a little suspicious of the durability of the battery compartment cover, but otherwise have no complaints.
Hasn't the battery compartment cover already lasted close to thirty years?
05-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Hasn't the battery compartment cover already lasted close to thirty years?
Every flash I've seen (and it's quite a lot now) has a flimsy-looking battery door.

No flash I've seen has had a damaged battery door.

Lesson : those are stronger than they look
05-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've never understood why flashes have to have LED displays and to have adjustments made through menus.
The menus are needed to provide access to all the features of the newer flashes. The Pentax AF200fg has no LED display because it doesn't have any features.
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd also prefer dials and switches. I think a lot of the modern features could be translated to simple controls.