Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aputure Trigmaster II 2.4GHz remote flash trigger review

I've posted a thread a few days ago asking about these thing, but it seems that not many people are using these.
So... I just went ahead and bought it.

Just a disclaimer: I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm just staring to get into flash photography,
so please excuse the typos and this shallow review.

So I was looking for a remote trigger on the internet, and intimidated by the prices of PocketWizards, I found two cheap brands.
The Youngnuo RF602 and Aputure Trigmaster II (Cactus aren't available in my region)
Both from China.
The youngnuo has a drawback in that it doesn't have a power switch on the transmitter, so it might fire off when accidentally pressing the test button.

So let's go right in and see what the Aputure offers

I bought these through air mail, so the batteries were taken out

enclosed are 4 connectors, from left to right:
2.5mm to 3.5mm, 3.5mm to phone(sorry, i don't know the proper name for this), PC sync line, 2.5mm to 2.5mm
the former two are for connecting to studio strobes, PC sync for older cameras without hot shoe, and the last one is the shutter line for remote shutter release.

remote flash triggering

remote shutter release

testing the remote flash triggering from 10 meters away.

Now, the company sells different models for different brands(except for Pentax)
They are different in the shutter release line AND the voltage it generates to wake up flashes.

Because the Pentax uses the same shutter release line as some Canon, you could just buy the one for Canon.
However, the "wake flash up" function would not work.

This thing works well with my K-5 and Exakta AF38DPZ (same thing as a Vivitar 383)
no misfires so far.

03-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jackarab Quote
but it seems that not many people are using these.
I do
03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting.
How do they compare in price to the competition?
03-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
um.. They are sold for around $30 on amazon/ebay.
pretty much the same as Youngnuo

09-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

How does one get an additional receiver?
Do they sell it separate or do they sell one bundled with one (1) transmitter and two (2) receivers?
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

With your #4 photo (receiver attached to the camera hot shoe), can you still attach a flash on top of the receiver and will it still do P-TTL?
How is the shutter sync speed? Does it go to 1/180?
09-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

I do...

I have ordered one on ebay and shipping is taking ages. 23rd day and counting and still not here. Just one question: how securely does the receive and flash sit on a lightstand if you have tried the combination. I want to use it wirelessly with a umberella.

09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
With your #4 photo (receiver attached to the camera hot shoe), can you still attach a flash on top of the receiver and will it still do P-TTL?
How is the shutter sync speed? Does it go to 1/180?
That seems like the receiver for shutter release rather than a transmitter for triggering the flash but i could be wrong. I will let you know once i receive mine.
09-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love these devices, but I've moved to the Cactus V5 device as they are "transcevers" where each unit does both functions depending on what it is set to. That way, I have redundancy. I just wish the Cactus had "pass through" hot shoe capability. When a "transcever" device comes along, that has "pass through" is when I will change - again.
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I love these devices, but I've moved to the Cactus V5 device as they are "transcevers"
The new'er ones are: Amazon.com: Aputure Trigmaster Plus Kit (2x Transceivers) for Canon, 2.4GHz Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Canon EOS Digital Rebel, t1i, t2i, T3, T3i, T4, T4i, xt, xti, xs, xsi 300d, 350d, 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 7D, 5D,

Great set, I use mine a lot of times in a 3 flash setup...
09-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool!!! Do they do "pass through"? I read the Amazon description and I don't see that.
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That I am unsure of - my setup is 3 off camera (2 gel'd for lighting effects and one for fill) so I have never tried with one mounted on the transmitter attached to the shoe. I will try this over the weekend though as I have a nighttime shoot where I will be using the setup tomorrow [or maybe later when I get home I will try it out]...
09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
That I am unsure of - my setup is 3 off camera (2 gel'd for lighting effects and one for fill) so I have never tried with one mounted on the transmitter attached to the shoe. I will try this over the weekend though as I have a nighttime shoot where I will be using the setup tomorrow [or maybe later when I get home I will try it out]...
Yeah, if they allow P-TTL with a Pentax flash, then they are a winner!
I've not heard of any that do P-TTL - with Pentax yet, but there seems to be enough contacts in the pictures, as the only contact that a generic flash needs to use is the center contact and the metal of the hot shoe itself, so they just might be "pass through".
09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

PTTL i am not sure of either as I use YN560 manual flashes on my multiple flash setup - will try over the weekend though with 360...
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #15

just received mine and sadly no PTTL. Other potential issues, it does not awaken Metz 58 AF2. Not sure if its just me (as my Metz is running a little low on battery at the moment - will test will fully charged batteries), shutter release will not work out of the box - will need to buy additional shutter release cable.

Not tested the distance yet but at a short distance works fine. It will be great for manual flashes. Anyone want to buy by spare Metz 58 AF2 as i will have no need for it on off camera and can perhaps downgrade.

ADDED: It will not wake anything other than an original camera manufacturers flash e.g. cannot, pentax etc...

Last edited by nu12ul; 09-07-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: additional infor