Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Repairing the base of a Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash

I tripped forward over a platform step edge and fell forward onto a wooden pew. I had a K20D with DA 16-45/F4 and a Sigma EF-530 DG Super flash. Luckily I did not damage either the lens or the camera , but the base lugs were fractured off the base of the flash unit. This was about 1 hr before the start of the show. So I raced out to a 7-11 store (it was Saturday evening) and bought some super glue. I then glued the lugs back on.

The first attempt failed as soon as I tried to mount the flash unit. The second attempt that evening held and I managed to use the flash that evening. I was carefully to support the flash, particularly when I turned the camera on it's side for portrait-orientation shots. The flash was a bit intermittent in its contact.

This went on for the 3 weeks it took for a replacement base to arrive from Japan. Sometimes when I attempted to put the flash back on, the lugs would break off again. Finally it was getting difficult, with build up of glue, to get the flash back on to the camera without breaking the lugs off straight away. So I got out a triangular hand file and flattened the base as best as I could, narrowed the edges & tapered the lugs, so I could a least get the flash on & off (carefully) without breaking the lugs. The base was not that flat and contact was sometimes intermittent.

The replacement base cost $64.50 AUD + $10 AUD freight and took about 10 mins to swap over. Unscrewing 4 very small slender screws and a fair amount of jingling was all that was required. The sequences of photo below shows the replacement part & the fixed flash. The last 3 shots shows the repairs to get the damaged base to fit.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The replacement base cost $64.50 AUD + $10 AUD frieight and took about 10 mins to swap over.
I did that with an EF-500 I bought for a song because the base was damaged. I replaced it with the base from an old Vivitar flash (880AF) that shares the same housing as the EF-500/530 (they are virtually identical except the Vivitar doesn't support P-TTL).

I was wondering how much could it costs to buy this replacement base. Not too bad in fact.
04-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know one thing: if the lens or the top rails/case on the camera had been damaged, it wouldn't have been as easy to repair and probably would have cost much more (return to the distributor too). A bit like car crumple zones - if you're going to suffer damage, it's better that it occurs here.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-08-2009 at 01:12 PM.
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

wo haben sie das ersatzteil bestelt? Ich brauche auch so einen fuss den an meinem Blitz ist er ebenfalls gebrochen.
Mein Mail: roman61@gmail.com

02-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I know this is an old thread however would like to express my thanks. I broke the foot off my Sigma 530 Super flash - I scavenged the foot from my backup 530 ST and now it is back as new.

When I get the urge I may try and source the foot & fix the backup.

Thanks Dosdan.
02-23-2013, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
I know this is an old thread however would like to express my thanks. I broke the foot off my Sigma 530 Super flash - I scavenged the foot from my backup 530 ST and now it is back as new.

Kev, glad it helped you out.

Dan.