Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #1

Statement from Pentax, Germany

Hi all,

user 'tzcobretti' from the german Digitalfotonetz-Forum got the following statement from Pentax, Germany [1]:

Rough translation:

According to a statement from Pentax Product Management, Pentax K-5 had a production problem within a specific serial number range. The problem is due to residues of a volatile material that sits between sensor surface and filter glass and which did not vanish/dissolve/disperse (don´t know the right word here. sorry ) completely. This problem is visible as string of pearls.
Cameras with a production date up to calendar week 49 are affected. Then Pentax became aware of this problem and shortly stopped the sale for a comprehensive investigation. During this time there was a delivery bottleneck and a waiting period.

Pentax solved the problem and cameras shipped from calendar week 50 2010 are free from the string of pearls symptom.

Customers with affected cameras can contact Pentax for a direct exchange of their cameras. Waiting times can occour due to short-term high demand and shortage of replecement cameras.

Original:

"Lt. Aussage des Pentax Produkt Managements hatte die Pentax K-5 ein Fertigungsproblem in einer bestimmten Seriennummernreihe. Bei dem Problem handelt es sich um Restbestände eines flüchtigen Verarbeitungsstoffs zwischen Sensoroberfläche und Filterglas, der sich nicht rückstandslos aufgelöst hat. Dieses Problem äussert sich in den vorhandenen "Perlenketten". Dieses Problem betrifft Kameras mit einem Fertigungsdatum bis zur 49 KW 2010, zu jenem Zeitpunkt wurde Pentax darauf aufmerksam und setzte den K-5 Vertrieb kurzzeitig für eine umfassende Überprüfung aus. Zu dieser Zeit bestand für sämtliche von Pentax belieferte Händler ein Engpass und es kam zu Wartezeiten.

Pentax hat das Problem gelöst und alle ab der 50. KW 2010 ausgelieferten Kameras sind frei von diesem Sympton.

Alle User/Käufer, deren Kamera in den Produktionszeitraum fallen und in der Seriennummerrange liegen, können sich direkt mit dem Pentax Service in Verbindung setzen und bekommen die Kamera getauscht. Allerdings kann die Nachfrage kurzfristig die Anzahl der vorhandenen Tauschkameras übersteigen und ggfls. kann der Austausch etwas dauern.

Bei Inanspruchnahme der Cashbackaktion kann die Kamera generell nicht direkt beim Händler getauscht werden, auch hier erfolgt der Austausch direkt über Pentax."

[1] DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Stellungnahme von Pentax zur Problematik K-5 Sensorschmutz

Last edited by kdre; 01-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
01-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now, if they could only announce how to read the serial numbers and associate them to the weeks, or just publish the serial ranges that are affected.
01-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got my K-5 around mid Oct., I've had no issues with the sensor. I was wondering where all those defect ones went? all over the world?
01-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

So how does one know which production date?

01-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anurag agnihotri Quote
So how does one know which production date?
I think the easiest way is to check your sensor. Because even before calendar week 50 there were cameras with no stains on the sensor.
01-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well this is a good thing. My first K-5 is back for change and my second body has no stains. Productiondate is november 18 so that is earlier then the states productionweek for clean sensors.
01-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

Great news! People have been clamoring for a statement from Pentax for a while now.

It's good to hear something official.

01-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #8

how do you know the production date?
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess this would also explain stains appearing only after some use as this "volatile material" (solvent?) would evaporate and leave behind a residue = stain.
01-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anurag agnihotri Quote
how do you know the production date?
The EXIF data in each image contains this information. You can use e.g. PhotoMe to read it.
01-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
The EXIF data in each image contains this information. You can use e.g. PhotoMe to read it.
Mine is 2010-12-01, and I do have a series of specks of dust/stain in my camera, and is apparent from F16/22 onwards. Updating the thread on stains accordingly.

Last edited by pentaman; 01-03-2011 at 10:21 AM.
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lt. Aussage des Pentax Produkt Managements hatte die Pentax K-5 ein Fertigungsproblem in einer bestimmten Seriennummernreihe. Bei dem Problem handelt es sich um Restbestände eines flüchtigen Verarbeitungsstoffs zwischen Sensoroberfläche und Filterglas, der sich nicht rückstandslos aufgelöst hat. Dieses Problem äussert sich in den vorhandenen "Perlenketten".

According Statement of the Pentax product management for the Pentax K-5,
Pentax K-5 had a production problem in a specific serial number range. The problem is about of a volatile material processing between the sensor surface and filter glass .
so this volatile material make a residu which is conduct “Pearl Necklaces” between sensor surface and filter glass.

Dieses Problem betrifft Kameras mit einem Fertigungsdatum bis zur 49 KW 2010, zu jenem Zeitpunkt wurde Pentax darauf aufmerksam und setzte den K-5 Vertrieb kurzzeitig für eine umfassende Überprüfung aus. Zu dieser Zeit bestand für sämtliche von Pentax belieferte Händler ein Engpass und es kam zu Wartezeiten.

This issue affects cameras with a production date to the 49 KW, 2010, at the time Pentax was aware of it and put the K-5 distribution for short periods for a comprehensive review. And (meanwhile ) for certain time production process in Pentax is going to be stop and wait until the problem clear

Pentax hat das Problem gelöst und alle ab der 50. KW 2010 ausgelieferten Kameras sind frei von diesem Sympton.
Alle User/Käufer, deren Kamera in den Produktionszeitraum fallen und in der Seriennummerrange liegen, können sich direkt mit dem Pentax Service in Verbindung setzen und bekommen die Kamera getauscht. Allerdings kann die Nachfrage kurzfristig die Anzahl der vorhandenen Tauschkameras übersteigen und ggfls. kann der Austausch etwas dauern.
Bei Inanspruchnahme der Cashbackaktion kann die Kamera generell nicht direkt beim Händler getauscht werden, auch hier erfolgt der Austausch direkt über Pentax."

Pentax has solved the problem and all from KW 50 2010 the cameras are delivered free of this kind Problem.
Fall all user / buyer, that camera in the production period and are located in the serial number range can contact directly with the Service for Pentax and get the camera replaced.
However, the short-term demand exceed the number of existing cameras and replacement if necessary. the exchange can take some time.
To exercise the Cash Back offer, the camera can not generally be exchanged directly with the dealer, even here, the exchange takes place directly on Pentax. "

Last edited by ewig; 01-04-2011 at 12:19 AM.
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

so they (pentax fabrique) have all the data from camera which produced in KW 49, and they will change this camera direct eventhough perhaps take little bit longer time .

and how we can determined , which Pentax k-5 produced in KW 49 its not going to publish here. because it came from their database. in germany they dont open it for free...

i think pentax will just announced the series number of the camera. the range series number from pentax K-5 which produced in KW 49 .. ( just the range number not specific ) and just give it to dealer.... not for public IMHO ....
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
@ewig:
Why did you translate the text again? Was my translation so bad or did you just want to practice english a little? :-)
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
@ewig:
Why did you translate the text again? Was my translation so bad or did you just want to practice english a little? :-)
no ..im practising my germany ... ..
your text is good...very good... just kind little bit long to understand, i just make it simple ... a little bit