Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Dust entry using K-5 and WR lens

Has anyone else experience dust entering the K-5 body when using a WR lens? I've attached a new 18-135 WR to a new K-5 and can hear air moving around the rear LCD screen when zooming in/out. Effect of sealing body and lens still has to obey laws of physics - air has to get in/out somewhere. The net result of the airflow has left a nice V pattern of dust right on the LCD right behind the screen shield. I'm guessing this will prob require body disassembly to clean.

The vaccum effect of the sealing does add resistance to the zoom ring - goes away if I pop open one of the rubber sealed doors like the mic or AV jacks. Then you hear the air whistling around whichever one is open - again defeats the whole dust sealing purpose. Had hoped the Pentax engineers would have thought to put in some kind of filtered pressure relief system in the body or lens, maybe in a future model.

Attached Images

03-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a K-5 + da18-135 combo and agree that the zoom has to suck air in from somewhere. However I just took a mini-flashlight and examined around my LCD and don't see the first speck of dust inside. It seems the air is moving in/out at the join where the lens zooms, not from the camera openings. I certainly can't explain the difference in our results.
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

This Japanese user experienced the same problem with his silver K-5, but he got a replacement which was fine.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hisway306/20110324/1300971454#seemore

Although many of his photos were taken with the 31mm, I noticed that he was using a few Pentax DA zooms and a large SIGMA zoom as well.

After this Japanese user got his replacement, he tested with his 31mm to ensure the image quality was the same as the one before, but I'm not sure if those dusts would come back if he started using his zooms again. Will be interesting to see if he reports the dust problem in the future. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese...otherwise, I would ask him to test with his large zoom lenses.

Last edited by calluses; 03-29-2011 at 10:21 AM.
04-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I remember from a thread on another forum that the Olympus E5 had some vent holes for just this purpose. Of course then people were fussing about wheter it could truely be sealed, etc.

04-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Weather sealed

Well, it looks as though the designers can be too clever by half somethimes. I would have hoped that the WS lenses or the body would have had a filtered relief valve somewhere to stop this happening.

Opening the rubber cover seems to be less damaging than getting dust behind the rear screen though.