Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent mine in on Friday

Jim,
Thanks for the update.
Good luck to you.
I've been holding off for similar reasons. I was hoping to hear of a definitive root cause and the fix but the camera is just too unreliable now. I have missed several great shots due to this issue. My fingers (and toes) are crossed also. I will report back when my K-5 is returned

08-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #212

Its repaired...awaiting tracking info.
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #213

I sent an email to CRIS and they told me that my camera was there (arrived 8/8/2011) and that it had been given to a technician. They estimated it to be shipped back within a month or less if they have the parts. I sure do miss it.
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #214

Me, too!

I, too, thought it was heat related because I bought mine in January, in Milwaukee, and didn't experience problems until it was 85-90 degrees, and...wait for it...4-5 months-old!

I have also noticed it is on a fully charged battery.

HERE IS MY SHARED CONCERN: if something is failing on the camera and that is what is causing it to be battery-related/voltage, what do we do next? I'd like to hear from pentax. Are we to expect to send K-5's away for a month at a time to get fixed? Will the back-up body I just ordered post the same problem 5 months from now? Or sooner?

I'm concerned that I just ordered a backup and it, too, might have a hardware problem.

I look forward to pentax's response. Thank you.

08-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good news:

I sent in my K5 July 18th by US mail to CHRIS in ARIZONA with complaints of mirror flopping.

Today, August 17 the UPS brown truck arrived bearing my camera.

The workorder enclosed says:

"repaired Mirror overun problem
Adjusted to manufacturers specifications
General Check and Clean
Updated firmware
Reset all"

------------------
Ihaven't had a chance to actually use it yet as the truck just drove away, but there is a lesson learned------ we ahve an official name for the problem"

"Mirror Overrun"

I see that as a good thing.----they have a name for the issue.
08-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #216
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's good that they have a name for the issue.. but the jury will be out for a while as to whether they have isolated and know for sure how to fix the issue. I truly hope they have as I love using the K5. It's a great little camera. It's a shame that two issues (stained sensor and mirror overun) have blemished its track record.

The K5 is the FIRST camera I have ever had to send in for repair and I hope it will be the last time I need to do so.
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could look it both ways. A camera mirror shouldn't be overrun after a couple hundred photos or directly out of the box as with some users. I havn't heard from pentax Canada as to the stays of my camera yet. I hope it comes back soon thou.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
Good news:

I sent in my K5 July 18th by US mail to CHRIS in ARIZONA with complaints of mirror flopping.

Today, August 17 the UPS brown truck arrived bearing my camera.

The workorder enclosed says:

"repaired Mirror overun problem
Adjusted to manufacturers specifications
General Check and Clean
Updated firmware
Reset all"

------------------
Ihaven't had a chance to actually use it yet as the truck just drove away, but there is a lesson learned------ we ahve an official name for the problem"

"Mirror Overrun"

I see that as a good thing.----they have a name for the issue.

08-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
It's good that they have a name for the issue.. but the jury will be out for a while as to whether they have isolated and know for sure how to fix the issue. I truly hope they have as I love using the K5. It's a great little camera. It's a shame that two issues (stained sensor and mirror overun) have blemished its track record.

The K5 is the FIRST camera I have ever had to send in for repair and I hope it will be the last time I need to do so.
It's not a first for me. While I had many different film based pentaxes with never a problem, I purchased a *istD shortly after they came out which simply died
one day within the warranty period. It became totally 'non-responsive'.

In due course They sent me a new camera saying that they did not have parts to repair the one I sent in. the replacement *istD is still among the living, as is a K10D that I bought in due couse after they came out. (which has never been in the shop).

I'm really excited to have my baby back though...... I'll be interested to see if "adjusted to manufacturer's specifications" results in anything different.
Something I didn't mention sending it in, nor did Iexpect them to fix
was the fact that the builtin flash consistently overexposed by abut 1 f stop.
I had compensated for this in the menus, but I will be interested to see if
this is now different.

I had never had any front/back focus issues and had no focus calibration overrides, any how, I'm as excited as a kid wth a new toy.
08-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #219

Mine is on the way back

I checked the status of my camera this morning, it is on the way back. Below is what they did to it and when they did it. They quoted me four weeks for the repair, but did it only 2 weeks. It will be nice to have it home again.

Wayne

"From CRIS"

Received 8/8/2011
Process Hold 8/10/2011
In Repair 8/11/2011
Quality Assurance 8/23/2011
Repair Completed 8/23/2011
Ship 8/23/2011

REPAIRED MIRROR OVERRUN PROBLEM
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
CHECKED UPDATED FIRMWARE
RESET ALL
08-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here - quick turnaround

I sent mine in last week. They received it late friday and had it "repaired" yesterday.
I was preparing myself to wait for at least a month so I was pleasantly surprised when I logged on the CRIS site for the first time and read this:

REPAIRED MIRROR OVERRUN PROBLEM
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
UPDATED FIRMWARE
RESET ALL

StatusDateReceived8/19/2011Process Hold8/22/2011In Repair8/22/2011Quality Assurance8/23/2011Repair Completed 8/23/2011Ship8/23/2011Shipped / Tracking #
StatusDateReceived8/19/2011Process Hold8/22/2011In Repair8/22/2011Quality Assurance8/23/2011Repair Completed 8/23/2011Ship8/23/2011Shipped / Tracking #StatusDateReceived8/19/2011Process Hold8/22/2011In Repair8/22/2011Quality Assurance8/23/2011Repair Completed 8/23/2011Ship8/23/2011Shipped / Tracking #
Apparently it was shipped yesterday. Can't wait to get it back and check it out!!!
08-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Good news indeed. I was holding off sending my K-5 in for repair until Pentax seemed to have figured out the problem and wasn't taking months to fix it.
08-26-2011, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
It's good that they have a name for the issue.. but the jury will be out for a while as to whether they have isolated and know for sure how to fix the issue. I truly hope they have as I love using the K5. It's a great little camera. It's a shame that two issues (stained sensor and mirror overrun) have blemished its track record.

Yes its funny how CRIS now does not state what parts were replaced and repaired. This is not a good practice but I blame Hoya/Pentax. Pentax is now hiding the problem, why? There are consumer electronic lemon laws. The states Attorney General can be made aware of this strange behavior by CRIS cameras and compel CRIS to say why the don't list the parts not. Its for the consumer benefit to know the parts that failed. Say in the future the same thing happens but the repairs root cause, causes a different symptom then "mirror overrun". Hoya/Pentax is off the hook. Say you develop the problem out of warranty. How much will this cost to repair?

CRIS gives a warranty on all its repairs if the customer is paying-

" repaired products are guaranteed to be free from defects under normal use for the term as specified by product type. Our obligation is to rework (same defect) provided the equipment is returned accompanied with a copy of the original invoice and a work order with detailed defect description. The service warranty may be voided on any item or parts which have been tampered with by unauthorized persons, misused, neglected, or damaged.
Digital, professional, commercial, and industrial photo equipment repairs: Guaranteed for 90 days from date of repair completed.
Standard Consumer products and Photographic accessories: Guaranteed 180 days from date of repair completed.
Video and consumer electronic product repairs: Guaranteed for 30 days from date of repair completed."

I don't know but I would contact the BBB about why CRIS won't state the failed parts or fix as they always do on the invoice, why the sudden change? And ... about who told them not to and why?

I write this for your benefit not mine. I am happy people are happy they are getting their K-5 repaired but I hope its a forever repair of this specific problem. People are very happy now and may over-look something as silly as not stating whats wrong with the camera. In the future it may matter.

Again say the fix does indeed fix the mirror overrun problem. However say the fix is kinda short term and indirectly causes other problems in the future. There is no way for you to know. Or suppose the fix is only a clean job and does not replace any parts and is a weak area for the life of the camera. Which is the one year (or longer warranty).

Myself, I really would call CRIS and demand or compel somehow, to know what was done to fix my camera, believe me
08-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #223
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Yes its funny how CRIS now does not state what parts were replaced and repaired. This is not a good practice but I blame Hoya/Pentax. Pentax is now hiding the problem, why? There are consumer electronic lemon laws. The states Attorney General can be made aware of this strange behavior by CRIS cameras and compel CRIS to say why the don't list the parts not. Its for the consumer benefit to know the parts that failed. Say in the future the same thing happens but the repairs root cause, causes a different symptom then "mirror overrun". Hoya/Pentax is off the hook. Say you develop the problem out of warranty. How much will this cost to repair?

CRIS gives a warranty on all its repairs if the customer is paying-

" repaired products are guaranteed to be free from defects under normal use for the term as specified by product type. Our obligation is to rework (same defect) provided the equipment is returned accompanied with a copy of the original invoice and a work order with detailed defect description. The service warranty may be voided on any item or parts which have been tampered with by unauthorized persons, misused, neglected, or damaged.
Digital, professional, commercial, and industrial photo equipment repairs: Guaranteed for 90 days from date of repair completed.
Standard Consumer products and Photographic accessories: Guaranteed 180 days from date of repair completed.
Video and consumer electronic product repairs: Guaranteed for 30 days from date of repair completed."

I don't know but I would contact the BBB about why CRIS won't state the failed parts or fix as they always do on the invoice, why the sudden change? And ... about who told them not to and why?

I write this for your benefit not mine. I am happy people are happy they are getting their K-5 repaired but I hope its a forever repair of this specific problem. People are very happy now and may over-look something as silly as not stating whats wrong with the camera. In the future it may matter.

Again say the fix does indeed fix the mirror overrun problem. However say the fix is kinda short term and indirectly causes other problems in the future. There is no way for you to know. Or suppose the fix is only a clean job and does not replace any parts and is a weak area for the life of the camera. Which is the one year (or longer warranty).

Myself, I really would call CRIS and demand or compel somehow, to know what was done to fix my camera, believe me

Good points. My DA*50-135 has failed again after repair a year ago, is no longer in warranty, and I haven't taken over a hundred shots or so with it since the repair. I now have an expensive MF lens with a well known Mfg defect that is worthless for AF use. My response is that I will not be buying anymore Pentax lenses new, I will buy Sigma or Tamron, with better warranties. The IQ of those are pretty much equal or better than Pentax anyhow, excepting some of the Ltds. Prices are less, and selection is better for my needs.
Regards
08-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Good points. My DA*50-135 has failed again after repair a year ago, is no longer in warranty, and I haven't taken over a hundred shots or so with it since the repair. I now have an expensive MF lens with a well known Mfg defect that is worthless for AF use. My response is that I will not be buying anymore Pentax lenses new, I will buy Sigma or Tamron, with better warranties. The IQ of those are pretty much equal or better than Pentax anyhow, excepting some of the Ltds. Prices are less, and selection is better for my needs.
Regards
You know, I'd package up the lens and write a very straight forward and to the point letter explaing in reasonable terms how un-reasonable your experience has been. almost like yuor next option is contacting a lawyer. Then I'd mail the whole mess to the president's office of PENTAX USA. And see what happens... I'd also CC a copy to Pentax Japan. It's a small enough world after all.
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #225
Inactive Account

To Buy? Or not to buy.....

I signed up today, just to voice my opinion; so here goes.

I've been in the market for a higher-end, semi-pro DSLR for some time. Only in the past weeks did I finally decide that the K-5 was for me. In brief, the reasons were that it was more compact than competitors, it's solid, has the best weather sealed construction, internal stabilization, DNG RAW option, and I can fit inherited Pentax SLR lenses.

As for picture quality? Well, it's in keeping with current technology, but ultimately it is the person who takes the pictures! I've seen some fantastic output from this camera.

Anyway, my work and life takes me from Europe to the Middle East and on to S.E.Asia. Mostly the last two. Both climates are very hot, averaging 90F-120F, with humidity and precipitation varying from 0%-100% depending on where you are of course! Again the K-5 stuck out as potentially the best performer in this environment. Dust in the M.E. is constant, while potential water ingress (just from humidity) is the other worry in S.E.Asia.

I was so looking forward to this 'smart buy' that I tried placing an order with reputable retailers in Thailand. Nobody had it, what's more, nobody wanted to know about it and said it had problems!?!?! They always offered a stocked K-7 instead. Now, Thais will bust a gut for you when you have money to spend. This was unusual. Maybe the K-5 was just not for the Thai market, but I investigated further.

Surfing soon uncovered the sensor smear problem that I was aware of, but that appeared to be addressed. Not a good start by Pentax, but at least it was admitted to (eventually) and corrected. Then I saw references to 'Mirror Flops' and even some almost unbelievable videos of the phenomenon. This site especially, gave good detailed experiences from names I recognized and who's opinions I respect very well from other sites.
Alarm bells were ringing as I had told a guy visiting the the U.K. to keep an eye out for a good deal and bring a K-5 back for me.

To me, I see temperature as one contributing factor at the very least. While it cannot be ruled out, I have every doubt that a K-5, subjected to the extreme conditions I live and work in, can perform as other DSLR's do. Pentax have not responded favorably with a report on the cause or if repaired cameras have a permanent fix; in fact they have not publicly admitted there is even a problem. This is shameful behaviour! Loosing face is something someone raised already, but I'm afraid it has no place in the international business world and cannot be considered an excuse to consumers paying for a premium product.

I could have had my K-5 on Sunday morning.....but I cancelled my order yesterday. Interestingly though, I see that certain retail chains in the UK are now selling K-5's with bundled lens kits at vastly reduced prices. Is that a coincidence? Are retailers in the know getting rid of what they have ASAP? I don't know but I smell a rat. I feel a bit bitter, I had my heart set on this camera and the money was in my pocket for it and a few lenses. Pentax messed up on probably the best DSLR they've made over QC issues, in my opinion. This shouldn't happen.......not twice for sure!!!!

Anyway, I'm still in the market for a nice camera. Pentax has no alternative, comparable model and the current fiasco isn't exactly making me feel comfortable about spending money with them.
I know this is a Pentax forum but the company who is catching my eye right now for its innovation and excellent global support is Sony. In the past days, they have switched my attention to cameras like the a77 or even the NEX 7........and I bet I'm not the only one!
Pentax have some mountains to climb........