Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #1

K-5 remote control

Hello,

I've build a wiring to take high-speed pictures of waterdrops.
The wiring diagram looks like this one. The camera connection is on the top right (digital pin 13 for the shutter and digitial pin 12 for the focus).
The pins are from an Arduino UNO.

The restistors are 220 Ohm - not 75 as written in the diagramm (this is wrong).

The frontend which I use is Droplet. In Droplet I can configure the start time and the length for a signal. I.e. valve 1 start at 0 and length 40 will open the valve 40ms.

Flashes, magnetical valves and camera are working. The one and only I have is with the duration with the signal for the camera shutter.
I need minimum 280ms signal length, for the shutter release. If I choose a time below, the shutter doesn't work.

I tried it also with mirror up before shutter. But also there the signal length must be min. 280ms that the shutter release.
From a guy with a Canon I know, that he need 50ms signal, that the shutter release.

Here are my questions:
I have a normal stereo cable with an length of 1 meter. I think this should not be a problem. On the picture of the original Pentax shutter release cable I can see a thickening at the end of the cable. Can it be, that there is a resistior build in?
Have anyone an idea how I can reduce the signal length for the shutter release?

Thank you.
Thomas

01-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #2

I can't help you on the timing you need, but I can confirm that there is no resistor: I have used an old Nokia headphone with a few switches on the end of the cable which works perfectly (one push button for focus, one push button for shutter, one switch for long exposure, all in a pill container).

Perhaps the camera needs a minimum signal to "de-bounce" the contact.

I understood the high speed photography is done in a dark place with the shutter open all the time and the droplet captured with the flash / strobe. Hence the timing is not the camera, but the flash.
01-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by havanna Quote
digital pin 13 for the shutter
Is pin 13 not ground(edit: common)?. You must mean pin 14.

I have a normal stereo cable with an length of 1 meter. I think this should not be a problem
Should work fine, that is only adding few nanoseconds to the delay.

Can it be, that there is a resistior build in?
No resistor in remote cable.
From a guy with a Canon I know, that he need 50ms signal, that the shutter release.
I was under the impression that Pentax K7/K5 shutter lag was around 80 milliseconds(edit: is around 90 ms), how ever, this might only apply to the shutter button, not the remote terminal.
Have you accounted for any switching delays or "voltage/current sagging" in the Arduino optical isolator circuit. For troubleshooting the time delay, I would try a dry contact relay without any resistors in the output, measuring the shutter lag from the moment of contact closure

Cheers.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.