Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-r may need AF calibration service

My K-r shows noticeable front focus on both my DA L 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses, and when using my Vivitar 50mm f/1.7 lens, taking a picture at the point where the focus confirmation beep and hexagon appear results in a front focused image. This happens under all lighting conditions and cannot be corrected using the AF fine adjust (-10, front focus still visible).

I called PENTAX Imaging regarding this issue, and I was told to send in the camera along with both PENTAX lenses (PENTAX cannot service the Vivitar lens) for AF calibration under warranty. Turnaround time was given at 3-4 weeks. The problem is not normally serious in most situations because there is enough depth of field to compensate, but the Vivitar 50/1.7 has shallow enough DOF such that the AF confirm point is obviously front focused. Should I send in my camera, or should I wait or perhaps choose a service center other than C.R.I.S. (the PENTAX central service center)?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-22-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Minor wording fix
12-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

More front focus woes.

At -10 my K-R is better, but still front focusing in incandescent lighting. Guess I'll be sending it in...UGH!
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased the same kit. The speed of the AF is quite improved compared to the K20d. I was quite set on keeping it until I realized what I saw in the viewfinder did not translate into correctly focused photos. I tried to adjust using the AF fine adjust and that did help but did not correct it. So it will go back and I will wait a little until that problem has been resolved.
12-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dadof4 Quote
At -10 my K-R is better, but still front focusing in incandescent lighting. Guess I'll be sending it in...UGH!
Would you all mind checking back in with the results of sending these in? I think that there are a lot of people here that would like to know if Pentax will be able to resolve this issue. Thanks.

woof!

12-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I cannot send in my camera until about February because I must be able to use it during this time. Nonetheless, the problem is not significant at longer distances using the kit lenses. I expect the camera to be serviced by the beginning of February.

--DragonLord
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My DA14 BF quite noticeably and I sent it along with the K-m to Pentax Canada (not service depots) and came back perfect. They are equipped to calibrate the AF through software which is probably not available to most authorized depots if I am not mistaken.
12-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Would you all mind checking back in with the results of sending these in? I think that there are a lot of people here that would like to know if Pentax will be able to resolve this issue. Thanks.

woof!
Leaving the frozen tundra in upstate NY for Florida in 4 weeks so I won't be sending it in until we return.

Last edited by dadof4; 12-23-2010 at 09:34 AM.
12-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #8

the frontfocusing problem is a major issue

Have the same problem with a new k-r (SN 380565xxx): terrible frontfocusing with kit lens supplied. -10 AF correction won't solve the problem. According to the test chart, probably 1/3 of the focusing error could be solved with AF correction at -10.
I sent it back for refund. I will wait for a later sample of the product or go for a k-x.
Compared to the k-m, the k-r is much heavier und bulkier. Liveview makes strange sounds and does not work indoors at all. The shake reduction setting got lost somewhere in the submenus. So summing it up, the first impressions are not very positive.
12-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flomat Quote
The shake reduction setting got lost somewhere in the submenus
If you mean toggling SR on/off it can easily be switched from the menu which opens from one press of the info button. Took me while to discover it but now I find it handy. I can change the metering mode, autofocus mode and various other options from one simple menu.
12-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I also have the same problem using the DA40, 50-135 & 18-55. I'll be contacting C.R.Kennedy (Melbourne Pentax distributor) to calibrate all my lenses.
12-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #11

Back it goes.

In checking my K-R further, it also takes sharper photos in normal daylight at the -10 adjustment. It's going back for replacement. To my surprise, the replacement kit (18-55mm / 50-200mm) is $35 less ($739 versus $774). So hopefully I'll receive a good K-R with the $35 bonus.
01-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Manually setting WB to Tungsten instead of Auto for incandescent light results in much better autofocus. I can still see a tiny bit of front focus on test charts, but for all practical purposes I no longer see front focus on my actual pictures.

Auto WB seems to focus well under all other lighting conditions.
01-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #13

I had my first K-r replaced by CRK Perth due to severe FF under all lighting conditions.
The replacement body (only) FF severely under artificial light.

Hopefully this issue is sorted out in a firmware update.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Manually setting WB to Tungsten instead of Auto for incandescent light results in much better autofocus. I can still see a tiny bit of front focus on test charts, but for all practical purposes I no longer see front focus on my actual pictures.

Auto WB seems to focus well under all other lighting conditions.
I tried this although it doesn't help for me.
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just 'chatted' with pentax usa.... no firmware update yet for the k-r.... they won't know if there's one until its' release...hmmmmmmmmmm.... guess i won't hold my breath....
p.s. also mentioned the edial issues... response... probably a mechanical issue vs an electrical/software problem......
really thinking about a new k-r, have the k-x.... and have never had any problems to date with the k-x..............
no k-5 or k-r til our friends at hoya/pentax shoo the gremlins away........... : (
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #15

Replacement K-R

I received the replacement for my K-R today. It is much better (and I mean much better!) at focusing then the old one. In incandescent lighting the old one would not focus well at a -10 setting. In natual light it's focus was also off. With the new one at -5 it's great in incandesent lighting, so I've still got room to play. It's also spot on in natual lighting with the camera's focus adjustment turned off. The new one's serial number is about four thousand higher than the original.

I am no longer questioning my purchase.

Last edited by dadof4; 01-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.