Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
645D Product Recall

Was going to put this in the rumours folder - but seeing as it's not a rumour and did happen it goes here I guess.

Some background:
I've been wating to upgrade for some time now and wanting to go full-frame or better and very nearly switched camps, but then earlier this year as we all know Pentax came out with the 645D and I made my mind up that that's where I was heading.

In June, Aussie Pentax Reps at the PMA show said August 1st for a release and I organised finance, got a quote from a shop and paid in full and have been waiting ever since. July saw no further news on a firm release date, August came and went, was told late September, then late October ... then finally told 10th November.

Perth is always a bit behind the Eastern States so I put my money on the 11th, and here's where the story begins at midday yesterday, 11/11/2010

- I'm standing in a local photography shop getting some prints done, mobile rings, it's the shop I'm buying the 645D through.
- They've got good news and bad news. Good news, the 645D is in, bad news, no lens (for some reason I knew he was going to say that ... something was nagging me that a lens wouldn't be with the camera).
- OK news is they have a 645 Manual focus 55mm prime and a 55-110 zoom they can loan me until the new lens arrives. I tried the 55-110 when I first tested the demo and it's a nice bit of kit.
- They ask if I want them to put it on charge while I drive up and I mention that the owner said it would be driven down to me. Informed that they're a couple of guys short today but will see what they can do and will ring me back.
- Get a 2nd call and am asked if I'm sitting down .........
- The guy I'm dealing with called the owner about taking the afternoon off to come drop it down to me. Owner tells him he's just got off the phone with the Importer/Distributor and there's a product recall on the 645D and the 645D can't be released it to me.

I was THAT CLOSE, 40 minutes away from having it, and am now back to worse than square one with absolutely no idea when I might get it.

Latest news last night was an e-mail from the store with:
"The information I received was that the units have been sent express to Melbourne, then express to Japan, they need to be upgraded, with what I’m really not too sure, but because they are being sent express it hopefully shouldn’t be too long a wait, I really have no time frame."

I can't find anything around about a recall on the Japanese market release versions .... has anyone else heard anything?

11-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it might have something to do with firmware- they probably released the Australian bodies too early and forgot something!
11-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm betting they want it back for firmware. There were definitely a couple of buggy operations in the one I used.
11-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was told CRK that they had 2 trained techs for the 645D? To handle repairs.. If it is firmware why the need to send them back to mother Japan?

11-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would have thought firmware would have been an easy "in-country" fix too and no need to go all the way back. That and the use of the word upgrade has me thinking it's not firmware and not a "fix" as such.

The pessimistic/conspiracy theory side of me has a suspision that maybe UK or USA markets have some noses out of joint with others getting the International release 645D early. If that's the case I'll bet the "recall" will see Autralia getting their first shipment at the same time the camera is released elsewhere around the world.

Loaning a H4D-40 for the weekend to try out the competition - with the AUD$ Vs the US$ and the Hassy H4D-31 being in the same price range I might give up on the 645D at this rate.
11-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I spoke with CRK... There is no Product recall of the 645D! Yes the DFA 645 55mm f2.8. Is in short supply ATM in Aus. Since the 645D is in such great demand, is being shipped body only. Which is a good move for those who have FA 645 glass and want to use this great camera. The DFA 645 55mm f2.8 is not far away.
11-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
The pessimistic/conspiracy theory side of me
Another theory: Since no one else is aware of a recall, is it possible the owner got an offer from another buyer for the 645D he/she couldn't refuse?

11-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Can you contact the Pentax representative in your area and ask?
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

It happend to me here in Canada. Got a call my 645D (ordered body only) was in, got another call seconds later and told about the recall, so now I wait for god knows how long. The bug issue is with focusing.
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #10

I've had some focusing issues with mine, and have brought them to the attention of the people who matter at Pentax USA, who I gather have passed the info on to Japan. On the whole, the camera works just fine, but there may be issues with some legacy lenses, which wouldn't be surprising.

- N.
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
It happend to me here in Canada. Got a call my 645D (ordered body only) was in, got another call seconds later and told about the recall, so now I wait for god knows how long. The bug issue is with focusing.
The Luminous Landscape review specifically mentions difficulty with focus near infinity with some lenses.

Pentax 645D - A First Review
11-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
I've had some focusing issues with mine, and have brought them to the attention of the people who matter at Pentax USA, who I gather have passed the info on to Japan. On the whole, the camera works just fine, but there may be issues with some legacy lenses, which wouldn't be surprising.

- N.
It was pleasure to read your First review of 645D un LuminousLandscape. Thanks!
11-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #13

Nick

Just read your 645 article in the Luminous-Landscape forum. Excellent. Just what was needed.

Thanks

Claude Fiddler
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
I spoke with CRK... There is no Product recall of the 645D! Yes the DFA 645 55mm f2.8. Is in short supply ATM in Aus. Since the 645D is in such great demand, is being shipped body only. Which is a good move for those who have FA 645 glass and want to use this great camera. The DFA 645 55mm f2.8 is not far away.
I hate to say it Adrian - but the info you got is wrong.

As mentioned in my original post:
"- They've got good news and bad news. Good news, the 645D is in, bad news, no lens (for some reason I knew he was going to say that ... something was nagging me that a lens wouldn't be with the camera).
- OK news is they have a 645 Manual focus 55mm prime and a 55-110 zoom they can loan me until the new lens arrives. I tried the 55-110 when I first tested the demo and it's a nice bit of kit."

So my 645D was delivered without a lens - body only - and was still recalled. The recall came direct from one of the owners/Directors of CRK, not the local rep'.

@ aeros - so someone else had the same thing ... it's here!! But you can't have it. We're sending it back. Doesn't help either of us, but nice to know I'm not the only unlucky sod to get the Good News, then the Bad News calls so close to each other.
11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #15

Well Cobber; I think I'm a lucky sod not to get stuck with a Monday morning lemon. Just got of the phone with my dealer, he says that the body should be back by the end of this week or next week at the latest. Pentax has to swap out a bad part, they are very tight lipped, but it looks like a mechanical problem that is an easy fix and only affected a small number of cameras. Why me? Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!

PS. hope the term Cobber is not offensive in Os.