Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 645D

PENTAX Japan introduced the medium format PENTAX 645D digital SLR on March 11, 2010. The camera boasts a 40MP Kodak sensor with an image area of 44mm x 33mm, is weather resistant, and specified to work down to -10 degrees C. It is fully compatible with the PENTAX 645 A and FA lines of medium format lenses.

645D
Year introduced
Availability
Japan, USA, Europe
Mount
PENTAX 645 AF2
Meter range
2 to 21 EV (ISO 200, 55mm f/2.8 lens)
Meter pattern
m (77 segments) c s
ISO range (expanded)
200 - 1000 (100 - 1600)
Expanded dynamic range
Yes, highlight and shadow
Exposure modes
HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B
Scene Modes
None
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV
Exposure lock
Yes
Shutter speeds (auto)
30s - 1/4000s (stepless)
Shutter speeds (manual)
B, 30s - 1/4000s
Mirror lock-up
Yes
Self timer / Interval shooting
Yes / Yes
Continuous shooting
1.1 fps up to 13 frames at 40MP RAW, 1.1 fps up to 15 frames at 40MP JPEG
Shake reduction
No
Auto bracketing
Yes
HDR mode
Yes
Multiple exposures
Yes
Built-in flash
No
TTL flash
No
P-TTL flash
Yes
Sync speed
1/125s
Autofocus
Yes (SAFOX IX+, 11 focus points, light wavelength sensor)
Autofocus with SDM
Yes
AF Assist
No
Power zoom
Not applicable
Lens correction
Yes
Viewfinder
0.62x (with 55mm lens), 0.85 (with 75mm lens), 98%
Viewfinder type
Trapezoid prism finder
Diopter adjustment
-3.5 to +2.0
AF Points in viewfinder
Yes
Depth of field preview
Yes
Digital preview
Yes
Live view
No
Video/Movie Mode
No
Movie mode restrictions
Not applicable
Sound in Movie mode
Not applicable
Camera controls
2 control wheels. Many dedicated buttons
Sensor
40 MP CCD, 7264 x 5440 pixels, no low-pass filter
Image size
33 x 44 mm
Color Depth
3 x 14 bit (RAW)
Dust removal / alert
DRII (ultrasonic) / Yes
File format
PEF, DNG, JPG
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (two slots)
Tethering
Not known
Back LCD
3 in. 921,000 pix
Top LCD
Yes, reinforced glass
Weather resistant
Yes
Battery
D-LI90 lithium-ion rechargeable
Battery grip
No
Size (W x H x D)
156mm x 117mm x 119mm
Weight
1400 g (1480 g with battery and two SD cards)
Latest firmware
Version 1.01

Comment
Lens compatibility: PENTAX 645A, 645 AF, 645 AF2
Other: Embed copyright information in EXIF
Image plane indicator
In-camera RAW development

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Ole; 01-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #2

Pentax 645D Camera Review

Pros Fast Focus, Price Point for Medium Format, lots of glass available
Cons 14bit RAW, Small Grip, Small eye piece,
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) 10,499
Years Owned Demo Unit

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Feels like a DSLR in the menus and operations. Lets a user get into the Medium Format market for almost half the price of your standard Hasselblad/Phase One.

Camera Review
This week I was booked to shoot some marketing material for Canada Olympic Park. On Tuesday The Camera Store gave me the Pentax 645D to try out. They wanted to shoot a behind the scenes video of sports and “Medium Format” cameras.

The Pentax performed great all day. I was used to the focusing speed on the H series from Hasselblad and this new Pentax was a real treat as far as focusing speed goes.

Unlike the Hasselblad digitals and Phase One backs that both shoot in 16bit RAW, the Pentax shoots 14bit, similar to a Nikon Raw format. I was initially a little concerned about this, for large prints. After working a couple of the files in PS, these 14bit files are still pretty stellar.

There is a large selection of both focal plane and leaf shutter glass available for the 645D. This is a nice little bonus, as my Hasselblad system has a very limited number of lenses available. The Hassy is also only “leaf” shutter, so you are limited up to 1/800th of a sec for shutter speeds. The Pentax 645D’s ability to accept both leaf and focal plane means you are able to jump up to 1/4000th if the job requires it.

For about half the price of an entry level Hasselblad or Phase system, the Pentax is a killer choice. I can definitely see this camera making a larger presence on the lifestyle and wedding circuit. The 645D has the ability to give you that unparalleled fall off and D.O.F. in a medium format (not to mention it shoots a native 18×24 @ 300dpi).

We shot for about 4hrs on Tuesday and the Pentax battery barely dropped a bar. Usually when you’re shooting winter sports the batteries in the bigger cameras take a pretty big hit. This camera held up throughout the shoot.

For those of you only running laptops to do your editing and worry that a digital medium format file will bog down your system to no end… Don’t. The files are a modest 50-70mb each, and being 14bit, they won’t murder your machine’s RAM, whether you use PS, Lightroom or Capture One.

Overall, we had a great day of shooting at C.O.P. and I really enjoyed shooting with the Pentax 645D.

You can check out the behind the scenes video:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645D  Photo       
Closed Thread